Author Topic: Tutorial Requirement for BBS  (Read 671 times)

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
Tutorial Requirement for BBS
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:46:26 PM »
Lately after seeing the posts about enforcement of Rule #3 and responses to certain posts in anger due to repetitive posts (mostly recently created/recently responses), I wish that any new member must go through a tutorial for learning how to use the search function on the BBS.

I think that this will help calm some tensions that have been built up between some members, and also educate newer members on what has also been asked for or discussed on the BBS.

Certainly this isn't to say people can't create a topic about the same thing, but would be nice if members are made aware that there is a way to check for a recent post on the same topic.

Would like to see others' opinions on this.

-INCOMING
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline davidwales

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Tutorial Requirement for BBS
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »
ive looked about researching certain topics before posting ok earlier on i may have been neive , but as dale said in his post old post can be somtimes brought back up , i mean i dont post this ideas to upset anyone , but ive looked at other posts and all posts end up in a pie fight , most guys here want to learn and put there ideas forward , which i find very interesting , as i love delveing through archives , i mean the length of the war , may not be that long but so much was acheived and discovered .

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 01:36:57 PM »
If I was forced through a BBS tutorial, I'd stop right there and move on to other places and never look back.

Just because some people can't conduct themselves in a rational adult-like manner doesn't mean you should force everyone to do something they don't need.

I like the solution of giving the abusers a BBS-vacation to cool their heads and perhaps re-think their Internet persona.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »
Lately after seeing the posts about enforcement...

I think what you may sense is the frustration of folks who have spent years, maybe decades, researching the history of and around WWII.  These grognards have acquired, often by great effort, a lot of knowledge, which has been tested and checked against a variety of sources.  And in here, a "source" can sometimes be former pilot or crewman of the aircraft under discussion!  To have someone post in here with an attitude of willful ignorance certainly seems to rub a LOT of folks the wrong way.  Far better, then, to pose a question, than to make a flat statement.  For example, "I have heard that some ME-262s may have carried air-to-air rockets.  Anyone know where I can learn about this?"  would be better received than "WE NEED ROCKETZ ON THE JETZ!!!"

Just sayin'.  

:salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline davidwales

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »
yes you are prob correct , but a lot of pilots , have a unique way of thinking and thats why they are pilots , ingnorance can be bliss , but it does not help in this game . :salute

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »
Lately after seeing the posts about enforcement of Rule #3 and responses to certain posts in anger due to repetitive posts (mostly recently created/recently responses), I wish that any new member must go through a tutorial for learning how to use the search function on the BBS.

Folks shouldn't be so quick to criticize an "eager" new poster. (Although there are some new posters who should be tarred and feathered)

I used to fly the Collings bombers around the country.  Each and every day there were several questions that we had to answer with nearly everyone visitor to the airplanes.  Some folks became weary of being asked the same dumb questions (things like "How'd you get these airplanes here?"  Airplanes that are setting on an airfield ramp and being used to fly passengers).  One of the veteran guys had some good advice  - he reminded us that although it may be the 10,000th time WE have been asked the question, it is the first time the visitor has asked it.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:30:16 PM »
Understood gents, just an idea. I appreciate the input  :salute

If anyone felt this was directed towards them, by all it means it was intended to be.

Perhaps instead of a MANDATORY tutorial, maybe an optional one that's step by step? (To be quite honest I've been on here about 1.5 years and still don't know how to post pics  :bhead, but that's my own fault I suppose for not asking  :lol)
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline TheMercinary60

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »
Understood gents, just an idea. I appreciate the input  :salute

If anyone felt this was directed towards them, by all it means it was intended to be.

Perhaps instead of a MANDATORY tutorial, maybe an optional one that's step by step? (To be quite honest I've been on here about 1.5 years and still don't know how to post pics  :bhead, but that's my own fault I suppose for not asking  :lol)
how about just a quick survey when signing up to show you even halfway can use your posting power responsibly?
Formally Merc flying with the 99th Blue Lagoon Bandits
I wish people would use the wish list forum to post their brilliant ideas, and be smart enough to not post all their stupid ones.

But I am under no disillusions of my wish ever being fulfilled.

HiTech - in response to davidwales

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »
I think what you may sense is the frustration of folks who have spent years, maybe decades, researching the history of and around WWII.  These grognards have acquired, often by great effort, a lot of knowledge, which has been tested and checked against a variety of sources.  And in here, a "source" can sometimes be former pilot or crewman of the aircraft under discussion!  To have someone post in here with an attitude of willful ignorance certainly seems to rub a LOT of folks the wrong way.  Far better, then, to pose a question, than to make a flat statement.  For example, "I have heard that some ME-262s may have carried air-to-air rockets.  Anyone know where I can learn about this?"  would be better received than "WE NEED ROCKETZ ON THE JETZ!!!"

Just sayin'.  

:salute

Suppose your wood bee poster never head about rockets on the 262, but just thought that the 262 needed rockets?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline davidwales

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 02:19:52 AM »
thank you col , ok i wont post any new ideas for a week or so and see if you tinker about with some of the suggestions that are put on bb , but i can guarantee , the critics will be the same select few . its like christmas with them they dont know which gift to unwrap first  :salute

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 03:00:37 AM »
yes you are prob correct , but a lot of pilots , have a unique way of thinking and thats why they are pilots , ingnorance can be bliss , but it does not help in this game . :salute

I never thought you could pack so much hypocrisy, and understatement into one sentence, even if it is a run-on.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"