Author Topic: Joe Paterno dead at 85  (Read 4753 times)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
Re: Joe Paterno dead at 85
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
Here's how I see it:

He was told in non graphic detail what the grad assistant saw in the shower.  The grad student said that he did not go into detail with respect for the 75(?) year old Joe Paterno.  Joe Paterno has never dealt with anything like this in his 75 year old life and simply does not know what to do.  So he waits a couple days to make the right decision, and then goes to his higher ups and reports the incident to them.  They tell him they will look into it.  Joe does his part and assumes the "wheels are in motion", afterall the legal process is a slow process.  At this point he has done his duty.  Now this is where things get weird.  Just look at some of the posts von Messa posted.  Was campus security contacted by JoePa's higher ups, following protocol?  Was it looked into?  Was a DA murdered over it?  I really have no clue.  

Could JoePa have done more?  I don't know, I suppose he could have shouted it from the largest mountain, but honestly I think he handled it the right way given the extremely delicate nature of the situation.  He went to his superiors who may or may not have done their duty in reporting it to police, it seems they might have.  From Joe's perspective, he did his job and could only assume the "wheels were in motion".  A year later he might have come to realize nothing ever happened of it due to lack of evidence or shady business, but honestly he is just a football coach with absolutely no experience dealing with this stuff.  He did his duty, as did the grad assistant.  

Unless there is more information that I am missing in regards to other incidents that JoePa knew about, in particular, while working with Sandusky, in that he knew he was a child pedophile but did not care, then yes, this is extreme negligence and I would question JoePa's legacy as a moral man, but I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe this.  And this line of thought, is exactly what the sheeple take from this whole thing without actually taking the time to use their pea brains to think about how it actually went down.

Making "assumptions" that things are okay when an innocent child's well-being is at stake is irresponsible.  Being a coach for so many years in a large institution such as that should make him aware of the hidden motives and inefficiencies of bureaucracies.  Based on that and the nature of the true "extremely delicate nature of the situation" - a child's well-being and not the University's (a second-class one at that I might add), he should have done more than "assume it is all taken care of".
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:28:18 AM by SunBat »
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »
Here's how I see it:

He was told in non graphic detail what the grad assistant saw in the shower.  The grad student said that he did not go into detail with respect for the 75(?) year old Joe Paterno.  Joe Paterno has never dealt with anything like this in his 75 year old life and simply does not know what to do.  So he waits a couple days to make the right decision, and then goes to his higher ups and reports the incident to them.  They tell him they will look into it.  Joe does his part and assumes the "wheels are in motion", afterall the legal process is a slow process.  At this point he has done his duty.  Now this is where things get weird.  Just look at some of the posts von Messa posted.  Was campus security contacted by JoePa's higher ups, following protocol?  Was it looked into?  Was a DA murdered over it?  I really have no clue.  

Could JoePa have done more?  I don't know, I suppose he could have shouted it from the largest mountain, but honestly I think he handled it the right way given the extremely delicate nature of the situation.  He went to his superiors who may or may not have done their duty in reporting it to police, it seems they might have.  From Joe's perspective, he did his job and could only assume the "wheels were in motion".  A year later he might have come to realize nothing ever happened of it due to lack of evidence or shady business, but honestly he is just a football coach with absolutely no experience dealing with this stuff.  He did his duty, as did the grad assistant.  

Unless there is more information that I am missing in regards to other incidents that JoePa knew about, in particular, while working with Sandusky, in that he knew he was a child pedophile but did not care, then yes, this is extreme negligence and I would question JoePa's legacy as a moral man, but I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe this.  And this line of thought, is exactly what the sheeple take from this whole thing without actually taking the time to use their pea brains to think about how it actually went down.

Wow  :lol  I detect no bias in your post lol.  Look, I can make excuses for him all day long.  If you are really going to argue that he did not know right from wrong, he thought the wheels were in motion, blah blah blah there is nothing I can say.  You honestly believe that that was all he knew about?  His duty was to go to the cops.  Here is how a not so level headed person sees it:

If he went to the cops, the program might have been done.  Without the program there is no money or fame for him, not to mention that he would be the one that destroyed the program.  So, he did just enough to cover his arse by telling the people he knew would cover it all up.  The fact that he could continue working with a guy he believed was doing these things tells a lot about him (I said he believed because if he didn't he would not have reported it right?)  
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »
If he went to the cops, the program might have been done.  Without the program there is no money or fame for him, not to mention that he would be the one that destroyed the program.  So, he did just enough to cover his arse by telling the people he knew would cover it all up.  The fact that he could continue working with a guy he believed was doing these things tells a lot about him (I said he believed because if he didn't he would not have reported it right?)  

You clearly aren't informed on the story, because if you were, you would know that Sandusky was already retired and had been for some time when this happened.  JoePa was not working with him in the least bit when this happened, or after.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2012, 10:47:45 AM »
Maybe his superiors just told someone else like paterno did. I mean why call the cops... right?

Everyone failed the kids involved in this event. Child molesters depend on folks like this to pretty much look the other way or ignore the obvious.

From the outside this has coverup written all over it. Add the disappearance and death into the kettle and it looks like the ol' high and mighty holier than thou penn state was actually a rat hole of wrong doing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »
You clearly aren't informed on the story, because if you were, you would know that Sandusky was already retired and had been for some time when this happened.  JoePa was not working with him in the least bit when this happened, or after.

Ahh, that makes it all better then.  Did I get the rest of it right though?  He did not call the cops right?  And I think I know why. 

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »
Ahh, that makes it all better then.  Did I get the rest of it right though?  He did not call the cops right?  And I think I know why. 

Why would you think you know anything when you do not even know the details of the story as you have proven?

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »
grizz... isnt it obvious that dedalos is not going to allow you to call the sky blue most of the time?  No matter how much information you present, no matter how well you show him or anyone who is assuming, they will not yield to the fact that Joe did was he was supposed to do under the circumstances he was presented with.

People are very quick to use hind sight and they forget that they've not walked in someone else's shoes.  They are very quick to jump on the soap box and preach righteousness.

Joe didnt need the money, he didnt cover anything up.  He would still have been a legend in 1998 if he would have hung it up then, of "if his program would have went south", etc etc. Joe did nothing wrong, he doesn't deserve to be character lynched.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2012, 12:24:34 PM »
anybody can ignore when somebody tells him/her about a child being molested and do nothing or very little and do nothing wrong.  that is not the point.  the point is he knew that somebody was molesting a child, graphic details or not, he knew.  he told his higher ups, but in the position that he was in he should've done more.  I am pretty sure he knew the guy was still showing up at the university so he knew that things were not being "take care of".

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.   he is guilty of not doing more to help a child, just like the guy who told him and didnt pursue it any further.  this is one of those things that you cannon just sit idle and not take sides.

you guys are right he did nothing wrong.  but he should've done more, specially in his position.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
Why would you think you know anything when you do not even know the details of the story as you have proven?

So he did call the cops?  I am obviously confused  :lol  You discarded everything I said and you only kept my knowledge of them working together or not after he found out? (I bet you given time we will find out that the rumors were around anyway)  My knowledge of that does not change any ones actions, does it?  So did he call the cops or do anything to stop it?  You know teh answer, right?  He did just enough to cover his arse and keep his job.  The difference between us Grizz is that I could care less about who he was and I am not willing to say it is ok just because he was a sports figure.  If he was a politician we would have been in agreement taking turns at him with our pitchforks.  :lol

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »
grizz... isnt it obvious that dedalos is not going to allow you to call the sky blue most of the time?  No matter how much information you present, no matter how well you show him or anyone who is assuming, they will not yield to the fact that Joe did was he was supposed to do under the circumstances he was presented with.

Are you guys mature adults?  What information?  The fact is he did not inform the authorities.  He only informed the people he knew would cover it up and then he continued to cover it up himself.  There is only one thing you do under these circumstances.  Call the cops.  They deal with crimes, not his bosses.  How is that so complicated for some of you?

As far as information, unless you guys were involved in this you only know what you read and hear and then choose to retain what you like and repeat it.  So, please don;t explain to me how edumakated you are on the subject.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2012, 01:11:21 PM »
So he did call the cops?  I am obviously confused  :lol  You discarded everything I said and you only kept my knowledge of them working together or not after he found out? (I bet you given time we will find out that the rumors were around anyway)  My knowledge of that does not change any ones actions, does it?  So did he call the cops or do anything to stop it?  You know teh answer, right?  He did just enough to cover his arse and keep his job.  The difference between us Grizz is that I could care less about who he was and I am not willing to say it is ok just because he was a sports figure.  If he was a politician we would have been in agreement taking turns at him with our pitchforks.  :lol

It wasn't his responsibility to report anything to the police.  He did not witness a crime.  If anyone had a responsibility it was the grad student that witnessed the crime.  If JoePa was negligent, it was in not pushing McCreary into going to the police to tell his story but then again, I think they felt the wheels were in motion and things were being taken care of, since they both met with penn state officials to report the incident.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2012, 01:18:09 PM »
It's everyone's responsibility to watch out for kids.

I'm sure sandusky was glad that it was business as usual after being caught. He probably appreciated folks simply ignoring him so he could keep on using children.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »
He only informed the people he knew would cover it up and then he continued to cover it up himself. 

Bingo...

Sandusky was witnessed on Penn State property, by someone employed by Penn State, in 2000 and the allegation is he was seen performing oral sex on a young boy. This is in addition to a bunch of other incidents off Penn State property!

This individual didn't belong any where near kids, and Penn State should of restricted or even outlawed his access permanently. Administration is at fault mostly, but Joe Paterno is at fault for letting it slide 2 days (with a KNOWN past) and not ensuring the police would be notified. Again, for almighty football, the victims should of kept their mouths shut so poor old Joe wouldn't suffer during his last days on earth.

I don't give a crap if you find a cure for cancer, perfect cold fusion and give it away for free, or adopt all the homeless kids in the world if you fail to protect one child from monsters like Sandusky.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
Well, at list we know where we all stand and some guys have moved way up on my respect list. (I know I know, no one cares about my list but me  :lol )

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
Wait, I was wrong... Sandusky was witnessed several times and 1998 is another event.

If you think for a moment that Paterno didn't know one of his coaches working under him didn't have a history of abusing kids (before 2002) ON Penn State property, you would have to be a complete moron. Frankly, the more I look at the documents, the less I think of Paterno.

It looks like the kids that were effected can sue Penn State (it doesn't necessarily fall under government ownership, per the lawyers) and I hope they sue Second Mile, Penn State, and the football program until they are so broke they are playing without pads.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:03:36 PM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!