Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 02:41:41 PM »
Whoa I didn't mean to get this thread hijacked was just being funny.. in a "hits close to home" kind of way.

Right now computer software is in its "WAY MORE COMPLICATED THAN IT HAS TO BE" phase.  They are trying too hard to make things more secure and by doing so are making things worse.

I can't even install video drivers without being forced to install several other programs at the same time.  I was extremely angry when StarCraft II made me install the auto loader and auto upldater stuff and BF3 made me install the same as well as anti-cheating software and the like.

And it's not just software either.  You can't even get a job anymore without filling out a bunch of paperwork and signing off on waivers.  It's just all absolutely ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

I won't even begin to try to talk about solutions to these problems as that would break the rules of this board.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »
Yes, we are wandering down the alternate paths of reality and time, into the deepest, darkest space of a neverending realm named the...... (Rod Serling was cool)

To many applications, today, assume they own your computer.  They force installation of many things which impact other things in your computer and they do not care.

HiTech gets it right.  Aces High is one of the least intrusive applications I have ever loaded on my computer.  There really is no reason any application should be mucking around with system files or settings, yet most will.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:53:44 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »
There's no way for the win 8 program to upgrade itself from win 7 without consent is there? This is where all the facebook book people buy the win 8 set up and others turn off their facebook accounts. They will merge with the face recognition software facebook is coming out with. A win 8 computer with facebook face recognition software. Not cool.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 01:23:31 AM »
Just an FYI.  If you are still on the fence about upgrading from Windows XP and/or Windows Vista, please grab Windows 7, instead of waiting for Windows 8.

It will be Windows 11 by the time I upgrade.  Heck, I just switched from Win 98SE to XP 4 years ago.  I've got another 6 years to go.  :O
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 06:23:26 AM »
There's no way for the win 8 program to upgrade itself from win 7 without consent is there? This is where all the facebook book people buy the win 8 set up and others turn off their facebook accounts. They will merge with the face recognition software facebook is coming out with. A win 8 computer with facebook face recognition software. Not cool.

Microsoft does have the ability to send Windows 7 updates without your knowledge.

I do not know anything good about facebook.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »
That applies only for metro apps. No need to panic yet.

It's a feature built into the OS. The same OS being used on mobile devices AND PCs. There's no logical reason to have the same OS run both categories of machines. It would be like coding software to build cars via robot arms that can also operate your microwave oven.

So just because they're mentioning it in relation to the "metro" store, it doesn't change the fact they have built an OS that they can remotely uninstall your programs whenever they want. It's not a precedent you want on ANY kind of personal computer.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »
Well unfortunately most people are drones who don't want to be challenged any more.  The same people who are afraid to give me their SSN for a credit card application are the same exact people who are sharing everything to everyone on Facebook.  Don't get me wrong I use Facebook but only for very close friends and family.. and it's locked down as tight as possible.

It's pretty sad really.

Real life keeps looking more like Atlas Shrugged all the time.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 06:44:47 PM »
Boy am I glad I've gotten comfortable with Linux and virtualization. If I need Windows, I'll crank up VirtualBox.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 03:58:21 AM »
Facebook is for women and kids.
Guy at work had 400 friends on Facebook  :) he also had a girly walk as well and read calories on food products.

Google keeps trying load on to my pc, I don't like it :cry

How do I download Linux and is it better?

I have started using self shadows again I need to justify my HD6970 :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »
Facebook is for women and kids.
Guy at work had 400 friends on Facebook  :) he also had a girly walk as well and read calories on food products.

Google keeps trying load on to my pc, I don't like it :cry

How do I download Linux and is it better?

I have started using self shadows again I need to justify my HD6970 :)

You download linux by going to the download page of the distro you like. One good recommendation would be linux mint. http://linuxmint.com/

Be aware that many windows programs and games will not run on it without extensive tweaking. But if you forget that it's safer and nowadays pretty easy to use too. But it will require studying since it works very differently from windows in many places.

If you want easy, OSX is the way to go.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »
It's a feature built into the OS. The same OS being used on mobile devices AND PCs. There's no logical reason to have the same OS run both categories of machines. It would be like coding software to build cars via robot arms that can also operate your microwave oven.

For that reason it most likely will be dud. At least as desktop OS, unless they let the choice of shell to the consumer.

So just because they're mentioning it in relation to the "metro" store, it doesn't change the fact they have built an OS that they can remotely uninstall your programs whenever they want. It's not a precedent you want on ANY kind of personal computer.

MS is not setting the precedent. It's been done before. Besides, there's alternative (open source) if and when MS steps over the line.