Author Topic: Ho? No Ho? You be the judge...  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Ho? No Ho? You be the judge...
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:50:09 AM »
This is exactly the situation that I believe a lot of people consider to be a HO but to me it is not. Sure... the spit tries to make a HO out of it but comes up short. The Spit is also pilot wounded and right over his base but I give him credit for fighting on until he bleeds out.

This is just a short video of the shot in question. Ho? or no ho?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mroGBg5Y3lY
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
Re: Ho? No Ho? You be the judge...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:51:41 AM »
I think the question ought to be. Does anyone really care?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:54:32 AM »
I think the question ought to be. Does anyone really care?

Loss of vote. Comment stricken from the record.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:11:24 AM »
Spit didn't have a shot, nor could he get one. It appears that he focused all his energy on trying to shoot you when he should have been trying to avoid being shot himself.

Let me take this opportunity to say, I don't know why it's so hard for so many to understand what a HO is. If you both get a shot, it's a HO. Here's my question: If he can get a shot on you, then why leave yourself open? Don't go for the shot if he can do the same. STAY OUT OF HIS GUNSIGHT!
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:16:10 AM »
Thank you Mar.

Its a hold over mindset from EA AW from what people have commented in previous threads. The problem is it persists and you can always say something about a HO if you fly a rapid turning plane and turn into the attack because then the shot will always be front quarter.

The purpose of my question is to make it clear that simply because it is front quarter doesnt make it a HO. Headon attacks occured in R/L have happened in AH and will continue to happen. But be clear on what an HO is.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:18:28 AM by Chalenge »

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:28:33 AM »
Even tho i would really like to see you once without a concrete tiger2 or a 20k pony...
This is not a head on.

Other thing, when you both have guns on each other at longer ranges, then one tryes to break and the other one is forcing and spraying like crazy. Maybe technically isnt a ho but still super lame.
This is for the "it takes 2 to ho" awesomenesses.
AoM
City of ice

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:06:57 AM »
I do not understand what is "wrong" with a HO

Considering my aircraft, my opponents, and the entire situation of the fight, there is no reason why it is not a legitimate tactic.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:39:01 AM »

Considering my aircraft, my opponents, and the entire situation of the fight, there is no reason why it is not a legitimate tactic.

I choose not to HO unless outnumbered except I HO any 262 I see without exception - any shot possible on anyone in a jet. WAY too many dweebs in jets these days! Its my opinion that kill-starved hording weekend-ers go for the HO because they want to score hits first and claim the kill. So they HO everything. It makes defending against hordes unattractive and the land-grabbers know it.

Oh and I "HO" bombers although its intended to be a high quarter attack. Its the only attack that makes sense really. I laugh at anyone that saddles up on the rear. Of course there are plenty of people that get away with it... sadly most of them are gone in a flash.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 03:57:50 AM »
There is 50% chance to lose the HO, ergo instant death. Also there is 100% chance that your plane will be damaged, tipically oil, radiator, engine out.
For me the fun is the ACM, not the BnZ, not hoing the firts spitfire i see then praying my aircraft all the way back. Yes, i will ho you if you try to gang me or theres a pony/190 playing chicken cheit tho, but never against an opponent who is up for a dance.

And also, please do not HO if you consider yourself better than the v-s/alchies.
AoM
City of ice

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:24:52 AM »
There is 50% chance to lose the HO, ergo instant death. Also there is 100% chance that your plane will be damaged, tipically oil, radiator, engine out.
For me the fun is the ACM, not the BnZ, not hoing the firts spitfire i see then praying my aircraft all the way back. Yes, i will ho you if you try to gang me or theres a pony/190 playing chicken cheit tho, but never against an opponent who is up for a dance.

And also, please do not HO if you consider yourself better than the v-s/alchies.

That is untrue, there is not a 50% chance to lose a HO

Some examples:
190A8 VS a Brewster.  (you really suggest that is a 50/50?)?
An enemy that you regard as more timid, or one who wants to get an edge on the merge. (you can say that this is not a HO, but you started it that way)

A situation where the best solution is to take a chance to eliminate an enemy so that you have the best chances of winning the engagement.  (Outnumbered, damaged, outclassed by an enemy with superior E)

On merge a lot can also be taken from your enemies actions.  e.g a spitfire trying to HO my niki tells me a lot about my opponents flying style.

Often you can pick out an opponent who is committed to a HO before you are at risk, as a result that can tell you a lot about that players flying style, especially if you consider both aircraft and the circumstances.

And no, there is not a 100% chance you will take damage at all, that's just silly really.
     I can attempt to break away if things are not in my favor
     I can kick the rudder hard and sideslip
     I can assume my enemy is likely to miss considering my plane VS theirs. (A La7 is not likely to be able to land hits before a typhoon for example)  and I know this, this all factors into whether to engage in this or not

A HO is a valuable tactic, I agree risky, but with whatever current situation a pilot is presented with can be a very useful tactic.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 04:51:16 AM »
What you were writing is all true.
Still, in my opinion, using the ho as a basic tactic in an even fight just becouse my plane has bigger guns (for example spit vs niki or f4u) is just lame.

Someone said: "i only fear those spitfires who do not ho". And thats a big truth. Exactly, the first merge tells everything about your opponent.
Still, this game is about fun. For me, the ACM, for you, if you are that level and never wanna improve, the HO every time you have bigger guns. Amen to that.
AoM
City of ice

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 05:16:30 AM »
Ho! Ho!

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Kazan_HB

• Skinner Team
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 05:57:52 AM »
Ho is a combat maneuver. Like the split-S or Hammerhead.
You do hammerhead and then attack.
whether it is a ho?  :neener:
The Few
Since Tour 93

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 06:25:13 AM »
No HO, but it does beg the question; was the Spitfire pilot fully concious, because he looked half alseep to me?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 06:42:12 AM »
i dont HO reason because well if you HO you can get rammed easy.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"