Author Topic: ? for US military personell  (Read 602 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
? for US military personell
« on: January 24, 2012, 12:54:23 PM »
Do the military Hummers have locking differentials?  This driver of a civillian H1 wishes he had them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2lb64xY-w&feature=related
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
Re: ? for US military personell
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:06:23 PM »
Typical Hummer.

I got electric lockers in the Jeep btw.

O|||||||O
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
I have TSL's. Lockers seem redundant with them. Plus it keeps my d35 happier.....

Bob

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »
Pre '99 they have torque biasing LSDs, with which one could use brake throttle modulation when one wheel was in the air to brake it and send power to the other side.  The '99+ models used electronic traction control, where if you just hold constant RPM (instead of rocking like in the video) the computer will eventually get power to the wheel with traction.

Either way, driver in the video is and idiot, it is a case of driver failure, not equipment failure.  If he knew how to drive that Hummer, he could get off that easily.

The AMG Hummers are some of the most impressive stock off road machines I've ever seen, with their heavy weight and wide wheelbase they don't loose traction often, and when they do there are ways to get power to the other wheels (see above).  Their only major drawbacks is their width and turn radius keeps them off many trails.  Oh and of course the price $$$

P.S.  I'm not military, just a fan of the AMG product, the military ones may be different then the civilian ones.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:52:44 PM by saggs »

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »
Typical Hummer.

I got electric lockers in the Jeep btw.

O|||||||O

Like I said, that video is not "typical Hummer" that is a driver that doesn't have a clue how to drive one.  All he needs to do is a little left foot braking and he'd roll right off that poor Taurus.

This->   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtsca9i4yHI  Is more typical Hummer with folks who actually know how to drive one.   There is a reason why several different tour/safari companies out of Moab  (not to mention the military) all run AMG Hummers, they can seat 7 and still do every trail in the area.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:47:39 PM by saggs »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »
20's.............. :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata