Author Topic: bsod  (Read 635 times)

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
bsod
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »
My daughters comp decided to start doing this the other day. Reinstalling windows isn't an option since they don't have the disc as this is the comp that was donated to them by the AH family and built by TD.  I'm thinking it's just a driver issue.  Any help would be appreciated.

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: bsod
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
1) If your daughter doesn't play windows games, free linux install is always an option
2) If linux for some reason is not suitable, Windows8 is free to download and use for months and after that you get 14 dollar purchase deal.
3) The problem looks to be display driver related. My sons computer did the same a few days ago, it temporarily vanished by hitting F8 on bootup and choosing 'previously working settings'. But in the end I reinstalled the whole windows + upgraded the machine in the process.

I have a feeling that something in the Windows updates didn't play well with some Ati driver.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:24:35 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:25:04 PM »
$14 win8 purchase?  :huh where are you seeing that? not personally thrilled with win8 but, it would be a great option for Dragon...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 03:30:53 PM »
$14 win8 purchase?  :huh where are you seeing that? not personally thrilled with win8 but, it would be a great option for Dragon...

MS announced some time ago that everyone who participates in the consumer preview will be eligible for the 'upgrade'.

Edit: There seems to be two different deals, the 14.99 is for newly bought Win7 users, release preview testers that own 98/XP/Vista/7 can upgrade for 40 bucks: http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-confirms-windows-8-testers-to-get-40-upgrade-price-too-7000000409/
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:41:12 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 03:40:12 PM »

Since they just got internet a few days ago I was thinking it did an update that fubar'd it too.  It's used as a facebook and kids games machine primarily.  I'll have them try the f8 trick.

Thanks
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »
Have you tried rolling it back before the update went in? Think Hirens bootcd has an option to help with that.

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 11:56:28 PM »
If the restore point does not work. Once in safe mode, could try to uninstall your video driver and restart and let the OS reinstall it, or put in a older or newer  video driver.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 02:34:12 AM »
If the restore point does not work. Once in safe mode, could try to uninstall your video driver and restart and let the OS reinstall it, or put in a older or newer  video driver.

I tried this on my sons computer. Installing newer or older driver made no difference - there's something gone haywire in the registry that 'previously working settings' restored.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »
That BlueScreen is a pleasant surprise in its informativity: It clearly says that ati2dvg has done something and explains that the driver has got stuck in an infinite loop which may indicate a problem either in the device or its driver.

You're not telling which Windows version is in use, but any of them can be started in SafeMode by clicking F8 at startup. From there within go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> SystemRestore and look what the latest restore point would remove. If it says "driver update", you've found the reason for the bsod. In any case, rolling back to a previous state doesn't affect personal files, only things that have been installed after the Restore Point, so it's a good starting point.

If that doesn't help, un- and reinstalling the driver is the next step. The install packages of all ATi drivers used in the computer will remain in C:\ATi even after uninstalling the driver from within "Programs and Features", so no download is necessary, just choose the right one from there.

If the problems don't go away, running a CHKDSK wouldn't hurt, how-to here.

If all this doesn't help, it is starting to sound like a hardware issue, either the GPU or PSU is failing.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
That BlueScreen is a pleasant surprise in its informativity: It clearly says that ati2dvg has done something and explains that the driver has got stuck in an infinite loop which may indicate a problem either in the device or its driver.

You're not telling which Windows version is in use, but any of them can be started in SafeMode by clicking F8 at startup. From there within go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> SystemRestore and look what the latest restore point would remove. If it says "driver update", you've found the reason for the bsod. In any case, rolling back to a previous state doesn't affect personal files, only things that have been installed after the Restore Point, so it's a good starting point.

If that doesn't help, un- and reinstalling the driver is the next step. The install packages of all ATi drivers used in the computer will remain in C:\ATi even after uninstalling the driver from within "Programs and Features", so no download is necessary, just choose the right one from there.

If the problems don't go away, running a CHKDSK wouldn't hurt, how-to here.

If all this doesn't help, it is starting to sound like a hardware issue, either the GPU or PSU is failing.

+100   :aok
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »
could also be a heat issue.....I know sounds stupid, I was getting them every time I played a video tutorial....then it started happening any time I was used Blender.......opened up my case cleaned the CPU cooler, hasn't happened since.