Author Topic: Wright R-1820-G5 Engine  (Read 14912 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wright R-1820-G5 Engine
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2012, 10:55:57 AM »
Wmaker, I also sincerely know so little about aero stuff, I am just calling it what I think everyone else might refer it to.  I am a geological engineer.  You want to talk resistivity, etc... I am your man.  The crap here is vodoo. 

LOLOLOL I can relate. I'm a mechanical engineer with 32 years of experience, but when I have to interface with cutting edge electronics, it's voodoo to me too.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 06:50:39 AM »
Salute fellow man of the cloth.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2012, 05:10:41 AM »
a brewster fan saying that the boomerang has not enough importance to be included in AH...priceless :)
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2012, 05:34:49 AM »
a brewster fan saying that the boomerang has not enough importance to be included in AH...priceless :)

The Boomerang is not nearly as significant as the Brewster.  Even the briefest examinations of the service records of the two aircraft reveal that.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:31 AM »
Brewster perma-WEP explains alot.

should be fixed as Karnack suggested (along with most of buffs) :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »
Brewster perma-WEP explains alot.

should be fixed as Karnack suggested (along with most of buffs) :aok

+1 fix it
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »
Neither of the above posters seem to really even understand what they are suggesting and what it would take...in other words, business as usual on the Aces High Bulletin Board.

+1 fix it

There's nothing to "fix". There nothing "broken" in the way Brewster power settings are modelled, considering how HTC has chose to model power setting on all planes. If one wants to change the way it is modelled on Brewster then changes would have to be made on many AH planes, all WEPless planes for starters.

This obviously seems to be a bit too hard to grasp.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:20:00 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »
Neither of the above posters seem to really even understand what they are suggesting and what it would take...

I understand perfectly, hence my suggestion to fix the problem with some other versions of this engine in AH some 3 or 4 yrs ago.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »
I understand perfectly, hence my suggestion to fix the problem with some other versions of this engine in AH some 3 or 4 yrs ago.

Obviously you do not understand.  It has nothing to do with how the powersettings of the Cyclones alone are modelled in AH. It has to do with ongoing modelling principal of powersettings of all engines in AH.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2012, 03:29:36 AM »
a few planes have PermaWEP®, like the brewster. most have time limited WEP. I get it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:32:33 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2012, 04:49:01 AM »
a few planes have PermaWEP®, like the brewster. most have time limited WEP. I get it.

It isn't perma WEP, it is a military/take-off setting. There are different kind of time limits on many planes' power settings. I don't think it would be fair if planes that have combat power/wep setting could run indefinately on mil (if it was limited in real life) while planes with out combat power/wep settings would have their mil setting time limited.

This HTC's modelling scheme is admittedly somewhat generic but it certainly makes sense. Of course a different kind of scheme could be introduced but to make it fair, it would need more than one time limited powersetting. Personally, I think it would be smarter use their developmen time on something else than fixing on something that isn't really broken.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2012, 05:54:47 AM »
Buffalo I Pilot Notes (AP 1806A) R1820-G105A:

Setting          RPM/MP          Limit
Emergency        2,350/43.5"     5min
Climbing         2,300/35.5"     15min
Max Cruise       1,900/30"         -

AH B-239 R1820-34

Military         2,200/41"         -
Normal           2,100/36"         -
Cruise           1,850/26"         -

If the brew were to modelled like almost every other fighter in AH it should plainly look like this:

WEP              2,200/41"       5min
Military         2,100/36"         -

edit:
even the chart you posted earlier states that the "military" power setting was limited to 5mins ...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:07:16 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2012, 07:09:07 AM »
Buffalo I Pilot Notes (AP 1806A) R1820-G105A:

Emergency        2,350/43.5"     5min
Climbing         2,300/35.5"     15min
Max Cruise       1,900/30"         -

AH B-239 R1820-34

Military         2,200/41"         -
Normal           2,100/36"         -

If the brew were to modelled like almost every other fighter in AH it should plainly look like this:

WEP              2,200/41"       5min
Military         2,100/36"         -

edit:
even the chart you posted earlier states that the "military" power setting was limited to 5mins ...

You simply aren't getting it. Gladly, HTC does get it. :)

First of all you post the data from an engine that isn't in the Brewster (see the title of this thread).

As I already tried to explain, there is host of different time limits depending on countries, services and planes/engines. For example, Allisons in the P-39Q and P-38J/L have a limit of 15min on the MIL-setting. It is not consistent to limit MIL-setting on one aircraft and not limit it on another. That would mean there would have to be at least two different time limits as those Allisons also have a 5min WEP limit.

Setting          RPM/MP          Limit
WEP              2,200/41"       5min
Military         2,100/36"         -
Cruise           1,850/26"         -

But the 41inHg setting isn't WEP it is Military setting. To obtain WEP setting on many aircraft you had to break a steel wire seal which told to the ground crew that the aircraft in question needed special attention. I can't see how they are comparable.

And if you want to forget take-off setting between mil and normal then the same would apply to other aircraft aswell, and there are plenty of those also in the WEP equipped aircraft.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »
I understand it perfectly, repeatedly saying I dont will not change that.

WEP in AH has nothing whatsoever to do with water injection, breaking wires, using the extra indent or whatever. It is merely the name used in AH to describe a modelled, single, maximum power setting which is time-limited.

most engines had multiple time-limited settings, and HT has generally done a sensible job of fitting these into their single setting model. the 1820s, merlins, allisons are all pretty easy to fit into this model. typical sorties in AH are short enough for the longer limits to be treated as continuous settings. if you want a really tricky engine to model with one time-limited setting have a look at the Ju88 pilot notes.

the point stands -
the Brewster could only use its maximum power setting for 5mins. in AH it is allowed to use this setting continuously.
the eg. Spitfire could only use its maximum power setting for 5mins. in AH it is allowed to use this setting for 5mins.

the brewster is not modelled consistently with almost every other fighter in AH.

dont get me started on buffs :bolt:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »
WEP in AH has nothing whatsoever to do with water injection, breaking wires, using the extra indent or whatever. It is merely the name used in AH to describe a modelled, single, maximum power setting which is time-limited.

A review on the settings on planes that have a time limit and those that don't verfies that the above is incorrect.

most engines had multiple time-limited settings, and HT has generally done a sensible job of fitting these into their single setting model. the 1820s, merlins, allisons are all pretty easy to fit into this model. typical sorties in AH are short enough for the longer limits to be treated as continuous settings. if you want a really tricky engine to model with one time-limited setting have a look at the Ju88 pilot notes.

If there are two planes which have the same designation (standardization) for a power setting then one shouldn't sure from a limitation which the other doesn't suffer. If one aircraft has its MIL power limited then all aircraft should have their MIL-settings (or similar) limited per their documentation respectively, and that automatically means more than one timelimit system.

the point stands -
the Brewster could only use its maximum power setting for 5mins. in AH it is allowed to use this setting continuously.
the eg. Spitfire could only use its maximum power setting for 5mins. in AH it is allowed to use this setting for 5mins.

the brewster is not modelled consistently with almost every other fighter in AH.

Another example,

The MIL on the Brewster is on all intents and purposes also a take-off setting (there are primary source documents where one document calls it mil and other calls it take-off). Don't know the time limit off hand but for example the 12lbs setting for the Spit XIV is take-off setting but in AH it can be run indefinately. If you want to limit planes to their real continuous limits (as you did with your Brewster example) then there have to reductions on the highest non-wep setting on several planes.

Just limiting the highest setting blindly and forgetting the rest leads into a lot more inconsistent situation than the current system. I'm sure that the HTC is aware of this aswell and that's the reason why it works the way it does.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34