Author Topic: Gaming the game at a whole new level  (Read 3967 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: Gaming the game at a whole new level
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 10:36:03 AM »
I have this vision...

The Horde does its thing at a port.  The defenders up 40 Storchs and all bail.  The Horde all bails.

Suddenly we have a 40 on 40 FPS gun battle on the ground while a solitary C47 orbits overhead.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 11:05:02 AM »
 :headscratch: Gentlemen...  I think we need to consider this may be an attempt to create gameplay around some of the lesser used features of the game.  For example... could it be a possible use for the 100lb loadout on the Lanc?  :devil

Nah, gamey as heck.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »

-1....now let's wait until someone hates the 88s.   Change scares everyone.

it has nothing to do with "change", it has to do with the unlimited ability to up a Storch, bail, and be near the MR in a pilot w/ 21 rounds of ammo.  It cam be done an unlimited amount of times. 

I for one dont really care how the Storch is tied to AH, or what it is classified as, but if HTC didnt intend for the Storch to be used as a last line of defense like it is at ports and v-bases, then classifying the Storch is the most logical way of eliminating the problem.  So take your "scared of change" and shove it right up your backpack.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 11:19:04 AM »
upping 40 storches and bailing to run to the map room doesnt sound like a PS3 video game to you?

Why, how nice of you to ask!  To me, capturing an enemy airfield deep in the heart of the enemy country by dropping the Dirty Dozen on it sounds very much like a PS3 video game.  So having 40 light aircraft emerge to oppose them doesn't strain my credulity any further.

Base capture in this game is an abstraction.  You can sit back and think, "Hey, this is sort of a representation of how the Germans captured Crete, or Holland maybe," but you can't (or...you shouldn't..) think that twelve guys can capture an enemy airfield and town.  The janitors alone would prevent that.  So if 40 Storchs rise out of the ground, climb into the air, drop their pilots and thereby create an OpFor, I don't have any problem thinking "Hey, this is sort of a representation of how base security might actually shoot at the parachutists."

I sense that you're just upset that base capture has become different and perhaps more difficult.

-oldman

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 11:30:03 AM »

Why, how nice of you to ask!  To me, capturing an enemy airfield deep in the heart of the enemy country by dropping the Dirty Dozen on it sounds very much like a PS3 video game.  So having 40 light aircraft emerge to oppose them doesn't strain my credulity any further.

Base capture in this game is an abstraction.  You can sit back and think, "Hey, this is sort of a representation of how the Germans captured Crete, or Holland maybe," but you can't (or...you shouldn't..) think that twelve guys can capture an enemy airfield and town.  The janitors alone would prevent that.  So if 40 Storchs rise out of the ground, climb into the air, drop their pilots and thereby create an OpFor, I don't have any problem thinking "Hey, this is sort of a representation of how base security might actually shoot at the parachutists."

I sense that you're just upset that base capture has become different and perhaps more difficult.

-oldman

:bhead  NM
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »
upping 40 storches and bailing to run to the map room doesnt sound like a PS3 video game to you?  

lol...not really :D certainly not a game I'd pay for
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »

-oldman

So... your stance is that HTC purposely created a class of plane not tied to any hangar that can be upped infinitely and intentionally bailed from to provide a defense against base capture attempts, and that this is good for the game?

Seriously?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »
do you have anything constructive to say about my post?   I doubt it

I do, GROW UP!
You posted it in the bugs forum, once is enough. Stop your crying and go steal another base.

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 11:56:43 AM »
I do, GROW UP!
You posted it in the bugs forum, once is enough. Stop your crying and go steal another base.

Thank your for your words of wisdom, really, it will help me out in my daily life......

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 12:11:42 PM »
After getting really pist and yelling at my computer...  

Really...really? If it's not too hard too capture a base then it is too easy...for the Nit hoard...Its just all so unfair! :cry

Grumpy puts the fun in dysfunction :mad: This is no more gamey than his favorite trick of resupplying guns at a town instead of fighting.

Wtg Simjoe for being the first one to figure out a new way to defend a base in the "GAME" with a Storch pilot. He has always been an extremely underestimated and wylie defender. Headline "Recon Pilot Save Port from Angry Frustrated Enemy! Kills a whole squad of paratroopers singlehandedly with a .45 cal pistol."

Looking forward to the new challenge of .88s and storches, war is hell!  :salute HTC for keeping things dynamic and exciting!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:50:14 PM by Seadog36 »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 12:17:35 PM »
So... your stance is that HTC purposely created a class of plane not tied to any hangar that can be upped infinitely and intentionally bailed from to provide a defense against base capture attempts, and that this is good for the game?

Seriously?

Seriously, how bad is it for the game?  Any other plane can do the same thing; your objection apparently is that the hanger for Storchs can't be destroyed, so there will always be an opposing ground force.

Do I think it's the best way to do it?  Or that it was intentional?  Nah.  But I really don't sense the impending crisis, either.  As someone has already posted, you can still strafe people on the ground, which is actually more realistic than the current situation.  And now you've increased the possibility that there will actually be ground opposition.

- oldman

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »
Really...really? If it's not too hard too capture a base then it is too easy...for the Nit hoard...Its just all so unfair! :cry

Grumpy puts the fun in dysfunction :mad: This is no more gamey than his favorite trick of resupplying guns at a town instead of fighting.

Wtg Simjoe for being the first one to figure out a new way to defend a base in the "GAME" with a Storch pilot. He has always been an extremely underestimated and wylie defender. Headline "Recon Pilot Save Port from Angry Frustrated Enemy! Kills a whole squad of paratroopers singlehandedly with a .45 cal pistol."

Looking forward to new challenge of .88s and storches, war is hell!  :salute HTC for keeping things dynamic and exciting!

Puppydog makes me laugh every day....  One of the reasons i still pay for this game.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
In a related response, one time there was an enemy chute on base at a vulched/capped field.  So I upped a bomber in the hangar and bailed out, and me and the chute had a great shootout.  It was fun, the game definately isn't designed around FPS ground combat.  Was I gaming the game?

lol Hmmm wonder if chutes can rearm on the pad........  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »
why dont we make it so it takes 10 actual players in the M3 to be let out so they can run for their lives with their trusty hand gun and shoot the bailing storch pilots that are trying to save their base.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 12:36:58 PM »
upping 40 storches and bailing to run to the map room doesnt sound like a PS3 video game to you?  I mean if this is what the game is turning into and where HTC wants it to go then so be it, its their game and money but will be interesting to see how many stick around.

Holy hyperbole Batman!

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song