Author Topic: Too many aces high recordings and pics  (Read 634 times)

Offline Flifast

• Copper Member
      • Claim Jumpers
Too many aces high recordings and pics
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:26:07 PM »
Is 300 gigs of recordings too much?  Lol. I guess it's been 10 years.

Q.  What a good external hard drive that I can move all my films and pics to.  How do I do that without loosing anything.  Some day I'll make a you tube of 2002-3 missions!

Flifast

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Too many aces high recordings and pics
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »
Any hard drive is good until it breaks down. I can't name any reliable brands, nor do I know who makes their internals, but there's one thing I know: No external hard drive is reliable enough to be the sole storage for your valuables. 300 gigs is quite a lot to burn on DVD's, so two hard disks might be the way to go. The other one may well reside inside your computer.

As for a way to move them safely, I can frankly recommend using Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier. Unlike the Windows' copy-paste routine, Unstoppable Copier doesn't quit after a corrupted file, leaving you wondering what the reason was. If it finds something that won't copy, it'll just skip it and continue with the rest. It then gives you a list of files it couldn't copy with a retry button.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:47:39 AM »
there is also also a functionality called "windows backup and restore". No need for 3rd party software for basic backups.
I am a spy!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
If you have 10 years of video, forget about making new footage of it. You have to use it at the time you record it, or 90% of it is useless now.

As the game code has advanced from update to update, so too has the film recording and film viewer code. Often every update broke something on the films recorded with the previous.

Not to mention the terrain system has changed god-knows how many times, but the film viewer points back to the same terrain names... So when the terrain is updated the film viewer plays the "now installed" terrain, not whatever the film was recorded on.

You won't be able to run most of those error-free without the Aces High release it was recorded on AND the terrain from that time frame as well.

I'm sorry to say, but you have (like I have in the past) lost the chance to actually use those recordings. Best suggestion I can make is delete all of them not from the past 2 years (you MIGHT be able to run those, with some bugs) and just record new ones.

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »
Best suggestion I can make is delete all of them not from the past 2 years (you MIGHT be able to run those, with some bugs) and just record new ones.

I just ran some films recorded in the training arena from 2006 (I have the 2006 .res-file in the ahiiterr folder). However, I have also before seen versions of the film viewer crash with older movies, but probably better to try first before deleting old films.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:40:35 AM »
Even if it doesn't crash outright, there are often too many other bugs with it. I was scraping hills in a low down drag out dogfight, and the next time I watched the film I was 500 feet over the water. YOu can fly through the ground, even. There's also an annoying bug where if you take any kind of single ping's worth of damage it kills your engine, oil, guns, wings, tail, and leaves your plane a piece of fuselage, then it continues to move it along its path as if you were fine. Same happens for other planes, too.

It's not just an outright crash sometimes.

Overall with all the many problems I've personally seen with old film not playing properly, it's often best to start over from scratch. and REVIEW REGULARLY as you go!

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 05:42:25 AM »
You can order these on ebay, or make your own if you're handy.

Or a flash drive for the newer pilots.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:50:41 AM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.