Author Topic: VF-17's 2012 recruiting thread  (Read 8063 times)

Offline Seighin

• Zinc Member
Re: VF-17's 2012 recruiting thread
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
heh... Well I guess all the perspective Pie-rats are on shore leave or perhaps not scurvy enough to join the crew. :headscratch:
To be the best you have to fly with the best.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 06:28:53 PM »
Wow, with this kinda recruiting material you think there would be a line or something :headscratch:

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Seighin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »
Well Rat you know it takes a special sort to fly the big blue.
To be the best you have to fly with the best.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 11:35:29 PM »
VF-17 welcomes MERLINac to the squad :aok

BigRat
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline merlin83

• Zinc Member
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »
Awesome group of guys to fly with! I knew when the first thing Seighin asked me was " Can you talk like a pirate?" this was a squad I wanted to be with. The hint of floggings turned me on a little too..ok maybe not.
VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
MERLINac
Fear the Bones

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 03:19:16 PM »
Use pirate lingo. Sounding like a pirate isn't as hard as it seems! There are lots of resources for picking up pirate "lingo," so make use of them (some common terms listed below) in addition to trying to affect a vocal sound.

Gesture with your hands frequently. Don't forget that pirates do most of their talking on the deck of a ship - out on the ocean, where wind, waves, and bird calls make it tough to hear. Gesturing often gives you a sense of "being there.

Slur your words together. Saying, "The boys and I were out for a lovely day on the water today" sounds like something you'd overhear at a yacht club, not out on the bounding main! Instead, try, "Me 'n' these here scurvy scallywags drug our sorry keesters out t'th'ship'n'had us a grand great adventuaaarrr! We almost had t'keelhaul Mad Connie f'r gettin inter th' grog behind our backs!"

Use contractions whenever possible. Be sure to punctuate often with "Arrrr!"

Never use "you" or "you're" - ever.Never use "you" or "you're" - ever. Instead, use the piratical form, "yer", "ye" or "ya" for all forms of address to others. "Yer a scurvy bilge rat, ya pompous gasbag" or "Here's yer dinner, ya mangy cockroach." Note that you should always endeavor to call the addressee by some insulting name, usually involving an animal.

Embellish at will. A pirate is larger than life, and his or her speech should always reflect this. Don't just say, "We saw a whale off the starboard bow today." Say, "Me'n'th' crew seen a great grand sea beastie, th' mother of all whales, aye!"7Refer to yourself as "me" at all times, never "I." It is not piratically correct to say, "I have a cold." It is far better as a pirate to declare, "Got me a case o'th'sniffles, 'ass rye!"

More importantly, substitute "me" for "my" For example, don't say, "Look at my new sword," say "Lookit me new sword!." Also substitute "meself" for "myself" as in "Got meself a right fine ship!"

Mutter unintelligibly unless yelling. Being a pirate usually meant being liquored up to some degree - a lot of time, pirates were pretty mush-mouthed. In the step preceding, the term "'ass rye" actually translates to "that's right." Get it?

Be as loud as humanly possible. Pirates are not shy - stand tall, me hearties, and be counted!

Get a stuffed toy parrot and sew feet to right shoulder of a second hand store jacket. This will put you in the mood to adhere to the above mentioned rules and guarantee an abundance of "yers and arghs".

Offline merlin83

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 03:46:12 PM »
Use pirate lingo. Sounding like a pirate isn't as hard as it seems! There are lots of resources for picking up pirate "lingo," so make use of them (some common terms listed below) in addition to trying to affect a vocal sound.

Gesture with your hands frequently. Don't forget that pirates do most of their talking on the deck of a ship - out on the ocean, where wind, waves, and bird calls make it tough to hear. Gesturing often gives you a sense of "being there.

Slur your words together. Saying, "The boys and I were out for a lovely day on the water today" sounds like something you'd overhear at a yacht club, not out on the bounding main! Instead, try, "Me 'n' these here scurvy scallywags drug our sorry keesters out t'th'ship'n'had us a grand great adventuaaarrr! We almost had t'keelhaul Mad Connie f'r gettin inter th' grog behind our backs!"

Use contractions whenever possible. Be sure to punctuate often with "Arrrr!"

Never use "you" or "you're" - ever.Never use "you" or "you're" - ever. Instead, use the piratical form, "yer", "ye" or "ya" for all forms of address to others. "Yer a scurvy bilge rat, ya pompous gasbag" or "Here's yer dinner, ya mangy cockroach." Note that you should always endeavor to call the addressee by some insulting name, usually involving an animal.

Embellish at will. A pirate is larger than life, and his or her speech should always reflect this. Don't just say, "We saw a whale off the starboard bow today." Say, "Me'n'th' crew seen a great grand sea beastie, th' mother of all whales, aye!"7Refer to yourself as "me" at all times, never "I." It is not piratically correct to say, "I have a cold." It is far better as a pirate to declare, "Got me a case o'th'sniffles, 'ass rye!"

More importantly, substitute "me" for "my" For example, don't say, "Look at my new sword," say "Lookit me new sword!." Also substitute "meself" for "myself" as in "Got meself a right fine ship!"

Mutter unintelligibly unless yelling. Being a pirate usually meant being liquored up to some degree - a lot of time, pirates were pretty mush-mouthed. In the step preceding, the term "'ass rye" actually translates to "that's right." Get it?

Be as loud as humanly possible. Pirates are not shy - stand tall, me hearties, and be counted!

Get a stuffed toy parrot and sew feet to right shoulder of a second hand store jacket. This will put you in the mood to adhere to the above mentioned rules and guarantee an abundance of "yers and arghs".

That my friend answered every question I've ever and will ever have about the pirate lingo. I already played with a dagger between my teeth.
VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
MERLINac
Fear the Bones

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
Welcome ye scurvy sea dog, arrrr. I you have not yet, sign up for our private BBS and join the fun. We have half-naked pillow fighters pics an' booze in there  :devil
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »
That my friend answered every question I've ever and will ever have about the pirate lingo. I already played with a dagger between my teeth.
So now ya look like ya have a cleft palate?  :bolt:

<in my best Yosemite Sam voice> Welcome aboard, yuh mangy, flea-bitten varmint!

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 10:56:01 PM »
VF-17 would like to welcome Viper75 to the squad :aok

BigRat

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2012, 09:39:31 AM »
A little tired when you posted this last night Big Rat?
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »
A little tired when you posted this last night Big Rat?

A little disgusted with myself yes (I made a bad call in FSO), tired not really.  I was using his in game callsighn, rather then BBS Vipper65.

Vipper65 let us know if you still don't have access to the VF-17 forums?

BigRat

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2012, 10:42:31 AM »
Ahh, I didn't realize they were different.  :cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2012, 06:06:36 PM »
VF-17 welcomes SIK1 to the squad :aok

It took me a long time to get you over here :lol

BigRat

Offline Vipper65

• Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »
A little disgusted with myself yes (I made a bad call in FSO), tired not really.  I was using his in game callsighn, rather then BBS Vipper65.

Vipper65 let us know if you still don't have access to the VF-17 forums?

BigRat

Account has been set up and is waiting for approval.
Viper
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly."

VF-17 Jolly Rogers, 52ND Fighter Group