Author Topic: Are any of the "old school" guys still around?  (Read 21425 times)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
Re: Are any of the "old school" guys still around?
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2012, 07:43:24 AM »
Welcome back Ammo, I started around 97 under "guns33" I believe it was.... between the cost and deployments around that time I bugged out a while. 

Seem to be playing much less now, its lost its flavor for me.  Hope you find it refreshing.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »

actually, Ptero formed the damned in  1987/88   Era...... and some of us are still here and we are in many other online flight sims and/or mmo online games....

<---Another old Damned.

Lurk on the boards. Haven't flown in a long while but still get the itch now and again. Always interesting seeing the evolution of a passion I've had since the late 80's and watching the kids get into the game. :old:

Thank you Pyro and Hitech for keeping the flame alive  :rock

...and you too, Roy! (too bad there's not a "he's a damn saint" smiley)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:57:55 AM by Horn »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »
...and you too, Roy! (too bad there's not a "he's a damn saint" smiley)
Does this work?   :aok

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »
Does this work?   :aok

Very appropriate!

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
 :angel: :angel: :angel: St Skuzzy  :angel: :angel: :angel:
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »
A lot of old, old names crawling out of the woodwork -- it's good to see! :)

I started in Air Warrior in 1988 or '89, checked out Aces High at some point prior to Air Warrior's demise, and moved over here fully upon Air Warrior's shut down.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2012, 05:36:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas. I am this >< close to pulling the trigger on a desktop capable of playing AH and a HOTAS (that was the acronym we used when I was active).  I'm looking at a $2K bill and need advice on the best way to go about the transaction

Look, you must get a desktop and get back into this game.  You owe it to yourself and to future generations. :)

I think that you can get a nice system going for much less than $2k.  I recently bought a Dell Vostro 460 (with an Intel i5-2400 CPU) for $550.  Then, I bought a GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card for $120 ( such as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125410 ).  That gives me 85 fps with all graphics options turned on and maxed out.  If you need a monitor as well, for the money, I recommend the Samsung S23A350H (2 ms response time, costs $220 at Newegg.com but is currently available at Costco for $150 ), or the s22a350h (costs $150 at Bestbuy.com).  For joysticks and rudder pedals, I always prefer CH Products (a flightstick and pedals will cost you about $200 at amazon.com).  So, in total, that setup costs about $1000.  With the other $1000, you can buy something nice for your wife so that she doesn't mind you coming back to Aces High! :)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2012, 08:05:50 AM »
I'm excited for you coming back, -ammo-.   There is so much more available in the game now, I'd be like a kid in a candy store if I was coming back from such a long absence.

Don't forget to a high quality headset - and e sure to download one of the sound packs and the hires pack when you download the game.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2012, 08:22:51 AM »
Speaking of old guys anyone know what happened to hblair? He lived about an hour from me but hasn't been seen or heard from in years.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2012, 08:33:09 AM »
LOL at Pipz.  Your post makes me feel older than I am.

As I read these replies I remember the names.  Pipz, if I remember correclty your ride was a 109F in those days and you knew how to handle it.   Yucca was a new addition to the 56th about the time I left the 56th and joined the BKs. He was scary good in a D11.. or any plane for the matter

When I was a kid I had a fascination with WWII aviation.  I spent my allowance on testors and monogram model airplanes.  I hung "my work" from my bedroom ceiling using my mom's spools of thread...LOL  How many of you can relate?  

Thanks for the replies fellas. I am this >< close to pulling the trigger on a desktop capable of playing AH and a HOTAS (that was the acronym we used when I was active).  I'm looking at a $2K bill and need advice on the best way to go about the transaction

Revell B17s an 24s hung from my ceiling along with all the fighters doing battle around them.  The Monogram birds flew off the ping pong table aircraft carrier.  With all those working parts on those Navy birds, you could have lots of adventures :)

Another old timer here.  Started in Airwarrior  in 95-96, Flew as Tiffi then +Tiff with the Nomads.  Levi was +Dead back then.  Seems like lots of old folks still around.  Started out in AH as "Slack" then moved on to CorkyJr.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »

Good to see you back in here, ammo!  Flying with you, sancho, Frenchy, and the rest of the 56th was a blast!

hblair told me some time back that he was done with flying online.  That was several years ago, and I haven't seen him, Milenko, Jekyll, Regurge, or many of the other Assassins in quite a while.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »
Hblair must have dropped off the grid as well because the last email address and phone number I had for him were no go for trying to get in touch with him a few years ago.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2012, 02:36:55 PM »
Soon as I get a new stick next week Ill be back,been lurking on the forums catchin up in the meantime  :)
Joc

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »
JOC!!

your more than welcome to take off where you left.   

PM me if you want back in to our forum.    :salute
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2012, 03:45:51 PM »
Speaking of old guys anyone know what happened to hblair? He lived about an hour from me but hasn't been seen or heard from in years.

I was wondering about hblair myself. I have seen Berserker in the game the last couple of months, and that got me wondering. If this is the same Berserker, he was always flying with hblair.  :salute

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.