Author Topic: Are any of the "old school" guys still around?  (Read 21423 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Re: Are any of the "old school" guys still around?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
LOL at Pipz.  Your post makes me feel older than I am.

As I read these replies I remember the names.  Pipz, if I remember correclty your ride was a 109F in those days and you knew how to handle it.   Yucca was a new addition to the 56th about the time I left the 56th and joined the BKs. He was scary good in a D11.. or any plane for the matter

When I was a kid I had a fascination with WWII aviation.  I spent my allowance on testors and monogram model airplanes.  I hung "my work" from my bedroom ceiling using my mom's spools of thread...LOL  How many of you can relate?  

Thanks for the replies fellas. I am this >< close to pulling the trigger on a desktop capable of playing AH and a HOTAS (that was the acronym we used when I was active).  I'm looking at a $2K bill and need advice on the best way to go about the transaction
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »
well.... what do you consider "old" ?

I too remember LizKing ........ Morrison, is one of my all time favorite singers........ heh...... I like him so much that I have at least used 3 to 5 gameids in reference to the Lizard King or Jim Morrison ( Mr Mojorisin ), over the years......

that AW shut down in Dec 2001...... I was flying Aces High open beta ( or was it closed? )  in nov of 99 and through out 2000, I think it went live in early 2000?,  until I left AW for the most part in 2001 around august......

lot of memorys both there in AW and here in AH...... ( not forgeting  WB, FA, TR/TK, Janes, MS CF, IL2 )

I think I am an addict!  rofl

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 03:00:02 PM »
:cheers: Ammo

I remember you from W/B and A/H. The 56th was top of the line back in the early days here. I know Frenchy was back for a while, a few months ago.  :salute

Frodo!  How's it going man?  Frenchy and I are connected via FB.  We both share a love for cars and he has influenced a recent decision of mine to upgrade my hotrod.  Frenchy culd make a P47 act like an A6M2.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas. I am this >< close to pulling the trigger on a desktop capable of playing AH and a HOTAS (that was the acronym we used when I was active).  I'm looking at a $2K bill and need advice on the best way to go about the transaction

what type of advice are you looking for, ammo?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »
I don't play anymore, but I still hang around the forums.  Heya, ammo!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
I don't play anymore, but I still hang around the forums.  Heya, ammo!

wassup Levi!  Hope is well with you and yours. 

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »
what type of advice are you looking for, ammo?

Basically, I want to buy a solid PC, rudder peddals, andn joystic combo but have no idea what technology on the market has to offer nowadays.  Have a recommendation?

Good to see you TC.

Ammo

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »
Basically, I want to buy a solid PC, rudder peddals, andn joystic combo but have no idea what technology on the market has to offer nowadays.  Have a recommendation?

Good to see you TC.

Ammo

is good to see you too, ammo......

so $2K  is your limit you are allowing yourself.......

I suggest you open/start a new thread in the hardware/software forum  ....... something like  "what will $2K get me, to play AH"

and you will get some good responses.......  also post in your opening post that you want your HOTAS included ( and what you prefer? CH, thrustmaster, Satiek, Logitech )  also if you prefer AMD  or INTEL........  this will help others piece together a good system for you

hope this helps

edit: also post if you are willing to build it yourself, or if you rather the PC be prebuilt .....

<S>

TC
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:23:07 PM by TequilaChaser »

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
been here since Air Warrior died back in the 90s

AW died in 2001, I started he 2 weeks before they closed the doors over there. I've been here since 10/01 Was Mdjoe for the longest time with the Mafia back in those day.

Welcome back Ammo! Beware, it can still be as addicting !

Check out TilDeaths site here http://www.tdcomputersystems.com/ He's a player who builds computer systems for a living. Many players have one of his rigs and love them.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »
Hey, Ammo!   :salute  

I, too, experienced domestic conflict when the monthly charge appeared, back in the days of pay-by-the-hour.    :lol

In that group picture of the Wingless Cafe, I'm the guy in the flightsuit emerging from under the steps.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:35:25 PM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »
TilDeath builds nice machines. He has built quite a few for members here.

He's great after the sale too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
<<<Old School?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Flifast

• Copper Member
      • Claim Jumpers
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »
Yep,
I've been around since mid 2000 and flew with the Leather Necks, JG44 and then one of the founders of the Claim Jumpers...long live Clammy!  It's great to hear some of the dreaded names from 10+ years ago.
 :old:
Flifast

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »
Hello, Ammo.

I don't play much anymore, but I remember you and I am still here.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »
Wow , remember you from the good old WB days, was first  save 1997, then -save- then =save= over there.
Didn't you fly in those C130 gunships IRL ?

<S>

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera