Author Topic: Yak and 110  (Read 679 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: Yak and 110
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »
I wish they had sticks.

Not sure what other aircraft are missing them.
you sure there is a valid reason for you wanting sticks in the cockpits? :D
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
you sure there is a valid reason for you wanting sticks in the cockpits? :D

It's a cockpit... I hope there's at least one :uhoh :bolt

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 08:53:34 AM »
Krusty,

Exterior textures are separate from the 3D models.  We have 1024 skins on the C.205 that is a 3D model from AH v1.00.  First generation models do have a lot of mirroring and stretching on their textures though. There have only really been two distinct generations of 3D models, the ones released during AH v1.xx and the ones released or updated during AH 2.xx.  Within those time frames there were distinct increases in 3D detail, look at a Hurri or Bf110 compared to a B-26 or an A6M or Mosquito compared to the B-24 or Ki-84, but the 3D generations are only at two.

The fact that some aircraft had two or even three first generation models doesn't equate to a new generation.

The one texture that does seem to be tied to a generation is the 2048 cockpit textures introduced with the Mosquito Mk XVI.  If we are to list a third generation of models it would be the Mosquito Mk XVI and later aircraft.

No, there's a difference at work here. The textures are tied to the 3D object. For example, you can make any old first-gen cockpit in the game look a lot better if you totally redo it (I did this on the old P-40E) but it's still not going to have a stick. The Geometry is still going to be what it is. The bitmaps and the 3D are tied to each other, and I consider them both when talking about the generation of plane "visuals".

Why? Well the 3D model is going to show whether a plane has wheel wells and gear doors or not -- look at some of the first gens, they don't even have gear wells! You can up the resolutions on those old 256x256 for custom skins but that doesn't change their shape, or the mapping of that bitmap. It does look better, but the graphics are still visibly dated.

I'm not really talking about skins. I'm talking about the defaults. Adding 1024x1024 skins to a plane whose default is 256x256 isn't comparable to upgrading the cockpit graphics or the 3D shape of the nose, etc.

Again, my $0.02.

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
I prefer these older models.  No stupid stick to get in the way, I fly with direct input from the power of my mind!

:salute

:lol  :rofl
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 10:45:41 AM »
The Tempest may look just like the Typhoon but is actually quite different. The only bits that are the same are the nose forward of the firewall, the tail surfaces and the canopy. The rest of the fuselage, the wings, gear, flaps, cockpit interior etc would all have to be redone. I guess it was considered too much work for too little MA use to be a priority.