Author Topic: No enemy icons?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Re: No enemy icons?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
Just seemed a little like "dog pile on the rabbit." for bringing up the idea.

Maybe I am misreading it.

You are, Sled.

You asked for our thoughts.  I gave you my honest thoughts on the idea.  If the CM team put it in here some time...whatever, I'll still be here, my preference however is the existing set-up, that's all. 
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
From a personal standpoint, I have no issue with trying anything once in a while.   Yes, no icons can go way beyond being challenging, but I am not sure that saying it would turn fights into what is suggested it totally true...... Least times when I have flown AvA and short distance icon FSO's.

However, knowing that what seems to be a majority of folks wants nothing to do with it, means that it is probably never going to be a welcome idea.

Now from my perspective, and what I think would make for some great twists in FSO, would be playing with environments.   Rain, heavy low clouds, rolling fog, snow squalls, dust from desert terrains.   Yes, it would definitely affect icons, but it would bring a whole new twist to the realism at the same time.  Not saying use it in every frame, or every setup............ But just once in a while........ I think would be WAY TO MUCH FUN!!   :x

:salute

JDog   332nd Mongrels

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 11:10:39 PM »
Sled,

When the ability to set icons off was introduced, there was an event where they had been inadvertently left to 1k after somebody was testing them.

That night, we had an FSO where FW190s magically appeared out of nowhere and decimated our noe mosquitos.  We never had a clue.

That single event destroyed my enthusiasm for FSO and AH.. to which I've never really recovered.  I made an effort to try to tolerate no icons, tried the AvA a little,  but to lose a target 200 feet in front of you on the deck is simply unplayable.

There may be those that like no icons.. to me, I can't play that way.. and won't.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 12:24:43 AM »
You are, Sled.

You asked for our thoughts.  I gave you my honest thoughts on the idea.  If the CM team put it in here some time...whatever, I'll still be here, my preference however is the existing set-up, that's all. 

Fair enough  :salute
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 12:26:47 AM »
Sled,

When the ability to set icons off was introduced, there was an event where they had been inadvertently left to 1k after somebody was testing them.

That night, we had an FSO where FW190s magically appeared out of nowhere and decimated our noe mosquitos.  We never had a clue.

That single event destroyed my enthusiasm for FSO and AH.. to which I've never really recovered.  I made an effort to try to tolerate no icons, tried the AvA a little,  but to lose a target 200 feet in front of you on the deck is simply unplayable.

There may be those that like no icons.. to me, I can't play that way.. and won't.

I can certainly see where if it was done by accident, with no warning, it would be a big problem.

~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »
Sled: Yup! You were misreading it. No dogpiling of you at all!

Re: APDrone: There used to be the plane bug, too, where if there were more than N planes in an area, N+ wouldn't have icons. You'd get magic dots that could see you and dive and attack and you wouldn't get icon until d800 when the plane was already firing and some other plane left the visible area, "freeing up" an icon slot. Had a Midway setup or something similar where that happened several times.

That limit has been upped and the problem overall fixed but it's a horrible effect on actual combat experience.

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 08:31:12 PM »
Keep the ICON's.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 12:49:26 AM »
No problem SLED I just wanted to quash any rumuours about a change in the settings being considered. Its a very touchy subject within FSO (as im sure you have seen) and I don't want any misunderstandings. Its impossible to come to a consensus that everybody would agree too and so we go with the tried and true.  :salute
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 04:07:51 PM »
the AVA has been adjusting the distances with icons for quite awhile. my personal favorite is 2.4k friendly minimum and 0 k enemy. you'll get the usual suspects to chime in as to why it will or wont work, and the usual threats to quit and of course the every popular bashings, but when it all comes down to it, "No enemy icons" is fun and does work.

its all about preference. some prefer icons on, some don't. if you would like to see whine threads, look up some of the ones i started in the AVA forum. you'll notice that the loudest whiners are from people that hardly ever fly in there in the first place. and of course they'll say that's why they don't fly in the AVA, but again its about preference. everyone has it. 

i personally like having "no icons", but not everyone does. i think once in awhile would be fun in the FSO, but you'll get way to many people complaining about it to make it worth while. my suggestion, call skuzzy, have him lock this thread, and keep on coming up with great ideas, this one will make you crazy if you listen to everyone.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 08:52:08 AM »
its all about preference.

Balderdash.

It's only about preference in as much as you can ALSO prefer to empty your guns on the runway and dogfight with no ammo. It's only about preference in as much as you could tape paper over the left half of your monitor when flying.

You can prefer to do any number of dumb-arse things. Doesn't make them fun to anybody but you.

Offline kansas2

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »
You can prefer to do any number of dumb-arse things.

Which is usually your preference since most of your postings are negative.
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 02:06:26 AM »
Please read the rules before you post. You seem to ignore them.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »
Kansas2, please don't call Krusty negative, its against the rules.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
its not that krusty is negative, its just his "preference" to look at things with the glass half empty.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »
He is not worried about his post count he actually has many opinions!  :O   :D
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.