Author Topic: C-27 spartan  (Read 1428 times)

Offline zippo

• Zinc Member
Re: C-27 spartan
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »
  Looks like a C 123.

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 07:32:13 AM »
The C-27J program has been canceled by the Air Force.  Only four were made and delivered, no more will be made.
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Offline SoonerMP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
iam already gonna delete my forum and ah account now

Prove it.    :rolleyes:

S.A.P.P. Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Blame Karaya 2008-2012       Death From Above - MA (inactive)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 11:58:24 AM »
you guys need reading glasses. and to chill out some.

yes it is a cool little plane :aok

He posted about a modern day aircraft in a thead that typically concentrates on WWII aircraft, so his intent was unclear and he drew responses.  Perhaps a more appropriate place to post this would have been the O' Club.

I don't need glasses nor do I need a mother.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:23:30 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
Wow, this bbs is really full of knee-jerk retards...

The C27 is a cool little transport. The US version actually uses the C130J's engines so in a way it really is a mini Charlie 130 Herc!

No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »
Name calling, always a mature way of getting your point across.

Anyone know why they are no longer in service with the USAF and only four were procured?

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 03:24:08 AM »
Because they like wasting millions of dollars.  :bhead
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 05:21:46 AM »
You are kidding ....... Right?  The C-27 wasn't even a glimmer in anyone's eye in WWII.  It is a relatively modern day tubo prop.

(Image removed from quote.)
i got to fly in 1 of those a few weeks ago, kinda felt like flying in a very fast Chinook lol. the seating arrangements are the same.

Anyone know why they are no longer in service with the USAF and only four were procured?

the Air Guard still uses them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:24:03 AM by Selino631 »
OEF 11-12

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »
i got to fly in 1 of those a few weeks ago, kinda felt like flying in a very fast Chinook lol. the seating arrangements are the same.

the Air Guard still uses them.

Which guard unit is flying them?  Years ago the USAF acquired them for use at Howard AFB in Panama to support counter drug ops and other activities in the region.

Oh, by the way, thanks for stepping, up, and volunteering to serve!   :aok.   :salute
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:35:09 AM by Puma44 »

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »
I'll elaborate on what I know.  My unit, the 103rd Airlift Wing, Connecticut Air National Guard, was supposed to receive 12-14 C-27Js.  When the Pentagon decided to cut the program, we were initially told we would still receive 4-6 airframes.

When the Pentagon canceled the program entirely, we were left without a change to our mission (we currently have C-21As).  I have been told by reliable sources, but cannot verify myself, that the one Air Guard unit that did receive four airframes will have to give them back, and that they'll be sold back to the civilian market.  Again, this is third-hand info.

As far as the rest of the program, it is absolutely, verifiably, dead.
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Online Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »
What were the advantages of C-27 over what it was going to replace?  Was it just a marginal improvement?  I am going to think that this was one of the reasons why it was cut, as it wasn't going to have a huge improvement over what it was going to replace.  What was going to be replaced, was probably found to be cheaper to upgrade vs using a "new" design.

Either way, looks like a Mini-Herc. :aok

And would probably warrant a perk price.  :D  :lol
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 01:50:44 PM »
It was cancelled by the Air Force because it was ordered by the Army as a fixed wing aircraft that could carry large transport helicopter sized loads for the Army over longer ranges at greater speeds with more fuel efficiency than a helicopter. We all know the USAF's distaste for letting other services have fixed wing aircraft that compete with its perceived jurisdiction, and it seized the program from the Army and promptly cut it in half back in May 2009, and cancelled it entirely back in January this year. Lots of $$$ and capability lost to inter-service rivalry, once again.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »
Which guard unit is flying them?  Years ago the USAF acquired them for use at Howard AFB in Panama to support counter drug ops and other activities in the region.

Oh, by the way, thanks for stepping, up, and volunteering to serve!   :aok.   :salute

I don't exactly remember which Air guard unit it is, but i think its the Wisconsin or Michigan Air Guard.
OEF 11-12

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »
What were the advantages of C-27 over what it was going to replace?  Was it just a marginal improvement?  I am going to think that this was one of the reasons why it was cut, as it wasn't going to have a huge improvement over what it was going to replace.  What was going to be replaced, was probably found to be cheaper to upgrade vs using a "new" design.

Either way, looks like a Mini-Herc. :aok

And would probably warrant a perk price.  :D  :lol

They are very good at doing very short field landings on remote dirt airstrips in Afghanistan. and and much more effecient at using on a smaller scale then using a C-130.
OEF 11-12