Author Topic: Out of VRAM problem  (Read 1770 times)

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
Re: Out of VRAM problem
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 11:44:15 AM »
None of them would make any difference as they all have the same memory management code.

well that just blows chuncks!!!!!!!

it never ceases to amaze me that they know that the biggest issue everyone on the planet has with their OS is bloat but with each version it just keeps getting worse!!!!! and what good does it do to invest in large memory fast systems if the OS chocks it down to basic?

BILL GATES CAN F&*K 0$F
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »
Thanks for all the info Skuzzy, that makes it much clearer now and Bill Gates can burn in heck. 

It seems that my options are as follows:  1) Sell my 560Ti 2GB card and get the 1GB version to free up more system RAM for AH, 2) find some way to disable half the VRAM on my card (highly unlikely), 3) run with my in-game settings rolled back to a level my previous single-core Gateway could have run AH at.  Wow, to quote Flotsom "that blows chunks!" 

Along with options 1 and 2, it seems that I could add to my 4GB system RAM so that my rig has someplace to run my background processes along with TrackIR and MSI Afterburner without infringing on the 4GB that AH can theoretically use.  Does that make sense or does Gates have some other chestnut hidden in the system that will hurt me more?
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 03:25:51 PM »
8GB of system RAM might do the trick.  It would allow Windows to move all of its background processes and housekeeping out of the way of the game, but, (big BUT), if the processes are already swapped out to the hard drive, then adding more system RAM may not make a bit of difference.

Quite frankly, with Windows 7 64 bit, I would not consider using it with less than 8GB of system RAM.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »
8GB of system RAM might do the trick.  It would allow Windows to move all of its background processes and housekeeping out of the way of the game, but, (big BUT), if the processes are already swapped out to the hard drive, then adding more system RAM may not make a bit of difference.

Quite frankly, with Windows 7 64 bit, I would not consider using it with less than 8GB of system RAM.
Rgr that and thanks Skuzzy.  More RAM it is.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline BrockS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 11:04:16 PM »
Skuzzy, do you think while playing the game that stopping the superfetch service helps?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 06:12:43 AM »
Skuzzy, do you think while playing the game that stopping the superfetch service helps?

Yes it does.  Superfetch's primary goal in life is to fill all your available system RAM with stuff Microsoft thinks you will be running.  The only thing Superfetch is possibly going to save you is the startup time for the physical executable to load.  Considering it might save a second, or two during the load (if that), it really is not worth it.  

Once all the system RAM is full, for the game to start, the operating system has to free up about 1GB of RAM before the game can actually start running, so any time saved from loading the executable is partially (if not all) lost while the operating system tries to unload stuff from memory to make room.

Superfetch, itself, takes up system RAM as well as it keeps track of what is loaded and what is not loaded.  It really is rather stupid.  Had to be some application numpty at Microsoft who thought it would be another way to bloat things up in the operating system.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:15:02 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »
what is using more VRAM, 4096 shadows with smoothing or 8192 without smoothing?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 05:57:39 AM »
what is using more VRAM, 4096 shadows with smoothing or 8192 without smoothing?

8192 (256MB of video RAM) versus 4096 (64MB of video RAM).  The smoothing only adds a little more processing to the video card and a few more MB of video RAM, depending on how many shadows are in view.

8192 will always be worse.  Both are bad when you add anti-aliasing on top of them, and the smoothing gets far worse with anti-aliaasing as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline DeadMeat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 07:19:01 AM »
I am having EXACT same problem. all diags are good help us skuzzy!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 06:32:17 AM »
Deadmeat, you are truly confusing me.  You have said you are having the same problem, in two different threads that are about vey different issues.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 06:28:57 AM »
what is the cnt= indicator on the ctrl+i ? the amount of objects waiting to be loaded into VRAM? Im looking at an airfield in F4 view, rotating the view makes cnt jump to 10 then back to 0 ..does that mean my graphic options are too high?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »
also does the VIDMEM counter means anything? I have 751mb vidmem since I upgraded to 8gb ram and reinstalled my computer  :headscratch:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 06:51:11 AM »
what is the cnt= indicator on the ctrl+i ? the amount of objects waiting to be loaded into VRAM? Im looking at an airfield in F4 view, rotating the view makes cnt jump to 10 then back to 0 ..does that mean my graphic options are too high?

If you can see the "Cnt" number it means the video card is being slow to load textures and/or objects.  It can be the syste, or the video card causing it.  It basically means there are resource issues happening.  Reduce the anti-aliasing and/or the view distance in the game and/or the shadow texture size to reduce resource usage.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »
If you can see the "Cnt" number it means the video card is being slow to load textures and/or objects.  It can be the syste, or the video card causing it.  It basically means there are resource issues happening.  Reduce the anti-aliasing and/or the view distance in the game and/or the shadow texture size to reduce resource usage.

i dont mean to sound foolish, but the way you worded your statement is a touch confusing.

do we do this even if the CNT=0? or is it only having a problem when there is a number following it?
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:59 AM »

reducing anti alias one notch fixed it
now posting as SirNuke