Author Topic: I'm alive!  (Read 5112 times)

Offline ap1102

• Copper Member
Re: I'm alive!
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »
glad that wet stuff on the outside was hydraulic fluid i can almost certainly guarantee if that had been me it would not have been hydraulic fluid and epa would have been notified of a toxic waste spill upon landing....great job tupac.

EZRhino

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 04:58:35 PM »
Are those firemen brothers?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Well done, Tupac!   :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »
Why would hydraulic fluid cause smoke?
Probably has something to do with the reason why the gear lever was hot. Did the problem originate with the hydraulic fluid or did something else break and cause the leak?

From the photo it looked like the leak was in the engine compartment...ANY oil hits hot engine parts you will have smoke.

Tupac, did it actually burn your skin?  or was it just uncomfortably hot?  Did you have the heat on? (wondering if the hot air was blowing on the handle warming it up)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2012, 07:42:32 PM »
From the photo it looked like the leak was in the engine compartment...ANY oil hits hot engine parts you will have smoke.

Tupac, did it actually burn your skin?  or was it just uncomfortably hot?  Did you have the heat on? (wondering if the hot air was blowing on the handle warming it up)

I have blisters on my ring finger, middle finger, and thumb from the heat. It was hot enough that the firefighters thought there had been a fire behind there.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
way to go man, stayin alive!

:cheers:
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »
I think had it not been for the adrenaline I wouldnt have been able to get the gear down. I didn't realize the handle was so hot until I had been on the ground for about 15 minutes and my hand started to hurt really bad.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
http://www.w0cra.org/downloads/Nate-Temporary/DavidWhite_C210_Smoke_Condensed_From_LiveATC.mp3

my friend put this together for me

Ya ever notice how that controllers voice is the voice of controllers all over the country? 
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »
Ya ever notice how that controllers voice is the voice of controllers all over the country? 

You ain't kidding. They do all sound quite similar, I can tell who it is at SAT by their voices but thats about it.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 07:50:51 PM »
I think had it not been for the adrenaline I wouldnt have been able to get the gear down. I didn't realize the handle was so hot until I had been on the ground for about 15 minutes and my hand started to hurt really bad.

Isn't the electric hydraulic pump aft of the baggage compartment co-located with the hydraulic reservoir?  If so the pump running continuous and getting hot wouldn't heat up the manual pump handle.

I'm going to guess the next time you pre-flight the airplane you take a real close look at the hydraulic lines and fittings. <G>
Columbo

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
Isn't the electric hydraulic pump aft of the baggage compartment co-located with the hydraulic reservoir?  If so the pump running continuous and getting hot wouldn't heat up the manual pump handle.

I'm going to guess the next time you pre-flight the airplane you take a real close look at the hydraulic lines and fittings. <G>

The hydraulic reservoir is forward of the firewall IIRC

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »
the mechanics didnt have time to go to San Marcos today and will head out tomorrow to get it figured out.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
The hydraulic reservoir is forward of the firewall IIRC

Ok.  I haven't flown a 210.  The Cardinal and Cutlass have the reservoir aft.

Let us know what  you find out.
Columbo

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2012, 08:01:20 PM »
Ok.  I haven't flown a 210.  The Cardinal and Cutlass have the reservoir aft.

Let us know what  you find out.

Will do.