Author Topic: P-38 and Gravity  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
P-38 and Gravity
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
   Need input from P-38 drivers on how to avoid compressing the thing and is there anyway to come out of it once the controls lock?
  I haven't been successful. Once it starts shaking I'm a Lawndart.  :uhoh
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: P-38 and Gravity
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:46:56 AM »
Throttle, rudder, trim the nose up
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
Once it starts shaking I throttle back and ride the shake. If you go too far and your controls.start to lock up cut the throttle and rudder over to get it side slipping. It will.slow pretty quick that way and you can get control back. If you want you can add the "trim nose up" button to your stick so that you can trim your nose up to try and flatten out your dive.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:54:59 AM »
   Thanks guys didn't think about trim nose up.  :aok

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »
You can tell whose a P-38 pilot by looking if their K button on their keyboard is worn down.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:00:28 AM »
You can tell whose a P-38 pilot by looking if their K button on their keyboard is worn down.

This test, however, can give a false positive for P-38itis if you are looking at a 109 dweeb's keyboard.   :D

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »
All of the above and avoid extreme high angle dives. Sometimes it can be really difficult to slip-slide your way slower if diving almost straight down and it can lawndart on you. It IS a very heavy (being a twin) and at the same time an aerodynamically slick plane so yeah--gravity can be a factor on that. Heavy stuff without drag is gonna want to go down fast!

If you were wondering, the recovery flap (often confused with a dive brake--which it's not) on the P-38L will only help keep you under control for a few more MPH than say the J that isn't equipped with it. Be advised you can still lock up in the L even with the flap deployed. Just have to pay attention to your speed and angle. Be ready for the compression because it's gonna happen if you're not on top of it. And the higher up you are when you begin your dive the faster that's gonna happen.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
Once it starts shaking I throttle back and ride the shake. If you go too far and your controls.start to lock up cut the throttle and rudder over to get it side slipping. It will.slow pretty quick that way and you can get control back. If you want you can add the "trim nose up" button to your stick so that you can trim your nose up to try and flatten out your dive.

^ This

Though, once you get a feel for it you can dive full WEP and surprise the crap out of a lot of pilots who are used to diving out of trouble. With it's good acceleration and superior momentum a 38 can dive well in the hands of a skilled driver. Add to that it's rudder, elevator and boosted ailerons in the L you often have better control authority than your opponants at those speeds.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
   Need input from P-38 drivers on how to avoid compressing the thing and is there anyway to come out of it once the controls lock?
  I haven't been successful. Once it starts shaking I'm a Lawndart.  :uhoh
Turn off combat trim. "Combat trim" is actually a miss-pronunciation of the Japanese word "Kamikaze".

Seriously, P-38 is one of the few planes that almost need no trim. Only the elevator team has some use and you can operate it manually. What happens in a dive is that due to the increase of the speed, CT keeps trimming "nose down". When you lock up, the trim is full forward, fighting against your pullout attempts.

Many players use it as a "reset" button - turn on for a second to get a rough neutral trim and then turn off again and do fine adjustments yourself. Repeat when your condition requires significant amount of fiddling with the trim tabs.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »
  Great info all....it's the only plane I've had trouble with. Those that fly it really have to fly it. And those that are good in it have surprised me.

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »
If you notice the good 38 guys stay above 10k and only come down for a good shot, then zoom back up.    ^__^
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 01:54:53 PM »
More than any thing, I find throttle and angle control PRE-dive is more important than in the dive.  If you setup right you should be hitting your maximum speed as you zoom past the target and begin your climb out.  If you're compressing while diving in you're diving too early or too steep, both of which will make it extremely easy to avoid the shot, especially if the other pilot is at all aware of his speed and the rate you're closing at.

Try doing a High Yoyo with no throttle to enter into your dive with and wing over at the apex, then add throttle as needed to accelerate through your target.  Another trick is to kick out your maneuvering flaps (1 notch of flaps) prior to entering the dive, this will slow your acceleration for a bit and help.

Finally, like everyone else said, throttle back, trim up and full rudder if you need it, it'll pull out pretty quickly.  In the L model you can do a Shift-C for dive brakes, but I don't like those very much and don't think they work that well personally.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 02:17:01 PM »
In the L model you can do a Shift-C for dive brakes, but I don't like those very much and don't think they work that well personally.

The dive flaps on the P-38L work as intended and will aid in recovery from a high speed dive.  However, it will not work if your intention is to use them to slow you down as the dive flaps aren't air brakes.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »
If you notice the good 38 guys stay above 10k and only come down for a good shot, then zoom back up.    ^__^

While not a good 38 pilot, I disagree.  Much more fun bending them down on the deck  :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 03:05:55 PM »
The dive flaps on the P-38L work as intended and will aid in recovery from a high speed dive.  However, it will not work if your intention is to use them to slow you down as the dive flaps aren't air brakes.

ack-ack

i often use them as air break for a hard breaking turn works well
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART