Author Topic: 3D monitor use in AH  (Read 424 times)

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
3D monitor use in AH
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »
I just bought a Asus VG278H monitor.  It has 3D capability which seems to work fairly well with AH.  The biggest problems I have found so far are as follows:

1.  Icons for aircraft stand out from aircraft.  It makes it difficult tracking an enemy aircraft because it messes with your sense of sight.  I found I have to map the icons to my stick so I can turn them off when engaged with enemy aircraft.  This of course leads to problems with situational awareness if you forget to turn the icons back on. 

2.  When engaging enemy aircraft I have not been able to identify hits on enemy aircraft.  The hit sprites do not seem to be rendering or visible in the 3D mode.  I have tried it with and without tracers with no luck.

Any Ideas, suggestions or fixes that you might be aware of.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: 3D monitor use in AH
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:29:39 PM »
I cannot imagine a monitor being able to properly render a 3D image of the game as it is not getting anything but a 2D image.  I am surprised it works at all.

There is really not anything we can do.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
Well if you ever get a chance to try the Asus VG278H monitor with AH take it. 

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »
I cannot imagine a monitor being able to properly render a 3D image of the game as it is not getting anything but a 2D image.  I am surprised it works at all.

There is really not anything we can do.

Get back to guarding your lawn grandad :D  :old:

You know I've been playing AH in 3D for about 6 years now right?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:08:32 AM »
Get back to guarding your lawn grandad :D  :old:

You know I've been playing AH in 3D for about 6 years now right?

Hey. whippersnapper, I specifically said "monitor", not "goggles". :)

The googles have a much better chance of doing it right (mostly), versus a 2D monitor panel where the video card driver tries to figure it out.  Not everything drawn, in a game, is actually done in 3D.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:21:38 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:25:49 AM »
Those 3D monitors can usually run in a double speed 2D mode, i.e 120 fps. I'd have thought that would be a more useful advantage WRT to AH than 3D, assuming your PC is fast enough to run the game over 60 fps.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 10:54:10 AM »
Curiosity question about these newfangled 3D displays...  Am I correct in assuming they display what one would normally see ingame on the right eye, and then offset what you see by a couple inches on the left eye display?  Does it let you look around the canopy bars better?

I'm quite curious how that interacts with the game...  Logically it would seem to me it would be almost like running 2 game clients at once for overhead, wouldn't it?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
It could very well be how it works.  That I'm not sure about.  But it does allow for looking around the canopy bars if you using trackir.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:10:43 AM »
Hey. whippersnapper, I specifically said "monitor", not "goggles". :)

The googles have a much better chance of doing it right (mostly), versus a 2D monitor panel where the video card driver tries to figure it out.  Not everything drawn, in a game, is actually done in 3D.

Err not really, the goggles use exactly the same drivers as the monitors... either shutter mode or side by side. My Emagin Z800's were shutter mode, my new Vuzix 1200VR is side by side.

So you're quite wrong about the monitors sorry skuzzy :) (though my preference is always goggles).

For those asking what it's like... here's some videos... youtube stereo 3d video's if you have the right hardware. Please note the second one is a 'draft' - the music is rubbish and I rendered it out at low quality. They're made using fraps captures of "what I see":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0qvQQjdFjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niEoWearUC8