Author Topic: Gunnery Question  (Read 2105 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gunnery Question
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »
Go offline and take up a spit16 with conv 150, 250 and 300. Get behind a drone and equalise your speed. On zoom at 200-300  shoot them down but, only account for lead not eleveation. Just place the center of the gunsight in line with their wing line and hold inside of their turn. Your rounds should fall short in a curve following the line of the rudder to the tip of outside wing at 300(Icon 400ish) and as you get closer 200-100 the stream pulls in and some will hit. Now repeat but, raise your gunsight center about 12-14Mil doing the same thing. Now you are compensated as you pull the trigger you start out with rounds on or very close dropping into the target not fishing around to get rounds near the target.

Everyone learns to shoot in the game by fishing around with the tracer stream once it's on it's way. When you compensate then you start out with your stream on the con or so close you stop giving the con the time to evade your gun fishing expedition.

Your armorer would adjust the center of your gunsight after your guns were set for elevation, then crossing convergence to achive the best shot pattern at expected combat distances 200-350. Your armeror adjusted your gunsight center so you could generaly place it on the con at the 200-350 and not have to remember to always hold it a bit higher when you pulled the trigger like in this game. Becasue you had been trained how to judge distance by fractions of your main ring you knew when to open fire between 200-350 where your armorer had adjusted the center of your gunsight. Hitech takes care of the range with the Icon.

This all seems like: Well Duh man how obvious can you get......

Having a line to  hold you steady as a refrence point on zoom helps you to not fish around and guess so much. Then there are players like MntMan with lazer guided eyes.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 04:46:38 PM »
By this point I guess a picture is worth 1000 text books.

Place the two files (.bmp) and (.mil) in your sites directory. Go offline and use a spit16 or P51D. Set convergence to 300 all guns. Get behind a drone at 400 and hold the line just under or in the wing line and apply lead offset. Turn on zoom, pull the trigger, and watch the tracers arch up then drop onto the drone. This gunsight follows all of the concepts taught from the WW2 British gunnery maual "Bag the Hun".

Bag the Hun-->>> http://bs.beckament.net/files_pub/FlightSim/Pilot20Guides/Bag_the_Hun.pdf
Gunsight--->>> http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/73450738/file.html

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »
Sure, I spend 2 hours editing and testing my new site and I check back here and you post pictures! Thanks a LOT !!!  :bhead

Of course doing it my self I learned alot so I guess its ok   :P

Thanks Bustr <S>

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »
By this point I guess a picture is worth 1000 text books.

Place the two files (.bmp) and (.mil) in your sites directory. Go offline and use a spit16 or P51D. Set convergence to 300 all guns. Get behind a drone at 400 and hold the line just under or in the wing line and apply lead offset. Turn on zoom, pull the trigger, and watch the tracers arch up then drop onto the drone. This gunsight follows all of the concepts taught from the WW2 British gunnery maual "Bag the Hun".

Bag the Hun-->>> http://bs.beckament.net/files_pub/FlightSim/Pilot20Guides/Bag_the_Hun.pdf
Gunsight--->>> http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/73450738/file.html

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice info and sight .. cheers <S>

You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7