Author Topic: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
Re: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »
I'll accept that as an admission you were wrong by implying I stated something I didn't say.

The discussion is concerning the road tests and lap times.

Yes, the Laguna is nice. So is the GT500. So is the Challenger. I never said they weren't.

Try washing the sand out.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »
You might want to read up on GM... the CTS-V magnetic suspension is based on the ZR-1 suspension, as I stated. The patents were earned with a Corvette test mule, and were on the ZR-1 years before the CTS-V.

Next time you post about this, maybe you'll remember that MagneRide started on the STS 2002, before the ZR-1 was brought back (it was used on the C5 (Z06)).  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2012, 06:49:12 PM »
I'll accept that as an admission you were wrong by implying I stated something I didn't say.

The discussion is concerning the road tests and lap times.

Yes, the Laguna is nice. So is the GT500. So is the Challenger. I never said they weren't.

Try washing the sand out.

Lap times.   Awesome!   I went around MIS as a Lead Test Driver for Roush Racing 100's of times.    You're right, I only have "opinions", but I was the driver.  I'm not reciting times from a hack rag.  Miss that job, but the benefits blew.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
Next time you post about this, maybe you'll remember that MagneRide started on the STS 2002, before the ZR-1 was brought back (it was used on the C5 (Z06)).  

Pretty sure you're incorrect about the C5 Z06, never came with magnetic ride control as far as I reember. Adjustible valving, yes, but not magnetorheological.

And Delphi's system was developed earlier and a version of it was available on the 2002 STS, among other cars, but you know good and well there are several generations of difference between that and what was developed for the ZR-1..... which was prior to the CTS-V, as I stated.

Floyd

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »
Lap times.   Awesome!   I went around MIS as a Lead Test Driver for Roush Racing 100's of times.    You're right, I only have "opinions", but I was the driver.  I'm not reciting times from a hack rag.  Miss that job, but the benefits blew.

So you're likely more biased than I, based on this. Congrats on your sweet gig. You're still ignoring the point of my post, but whatever. Since you know better than all of us, I'd like a recording of the call when you dial up Randy Pobst and tell him he's a hack driver, you know, based on what he said in the video in the original post.
Floyd

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
Pretty sure you're incorrect about the C5 Z06, never came with magnetic ride control as far as I reember. Adjustible valving, yes, but not magnetorheological.

And Delphi's system was developed earlier and a version of it was available on the 2002 STS, among other cars, but you know good and well there are several generations of difference between that and what was developed for the ZR-1..... which was prior to the CTS-V, as I stated.

It was on the C5, especially the Z06.    Which is why I was even floored that CAP mentioned it at first.   The MagneRide was on the 09 CTS-V and is more than likely the beginning of the implementation of the same on the Camaro.   The ZR-1 is not the "test bed", it was the Buicks, Holdens, Audi's (cost effective) that were the "test beds".   Not much tweaking is needed between them.    I can tell you this much, there are different grades of it and there is no way in hell the ZR-1 factors into this discussion.   The CTS-V, probably, but not a $100k+ car.    Yes price point will most definitely give you a good barometer.

All I am trying to bring real world things to this discussion.   If it is a pissing match others want, I will walk away laughing.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 07:08:03 PM »
So you're likely more biased than I, based on this. Congrats on your sweet gig. You're still ignoring the point of my post, but whatever. Since you know better than all of us, I'd like a recording of the call when you dial up Randy Pobst and tell him he's a hack driver, you know, based on what he said in the video in the original post.

I am not biased.   Which is why I am still wondering why "lap times" are the determining factor for a $40,000 car?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »
Your numbers are off significantly.

A Boss 302 retail price with the Recaro seats and upgraded helical differential ($1995 retail option) isn't even $10,000 more than my V6 convertible. Even less a gap for a premium GT coupe with similar equipment. In fact the price I was offered which had me so hot and bothered about stepping into one narrowed that gap by another 20%. Laguna Secas are only ~7,000 more than that.

Sticker and what people actually pay are two different things, the dealer I work for sold 3 of them and they were all sold for over 50k....just goes to show you there is an A $ $ for every seat and a seat for every a $ $

I have driven them and driven them hard with and without the "Track key"  a GT Pony with a supercharger, tires and suspension will eat them alive  and you will have more fun with it and save a ton of cash to buy beer and chicks with  :rock

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »
All I am trying to bring real world things to this discussion.   If it is a pissing match others want, I will walk away laughing.  

No pissing match, it was a discussion about track performance and lap times. You however decided to throw out a misplaced insult......

Floyd

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »

Sticker and what people actually pay are two different things, the dealer I work for sold 3 of them and they were all sold for over 50k....just goes to show you there is an A $ $ for every seat and a seat for every a $ $

I have driven them and driven them hard with and without the "Track key"  a GT Pony with a supercharger, tires and suspension will eat them alive  and you will have more fun with it and save a ton of cash to buy beer and chicks with  :rock

You must be a Porter.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2012, 07:14:36 PM »
I am not biased.   Which is why I am still wondering why "lap times" are the determining factor for a $40,000 car?

Well, Karaya, what other factors should they take into consideration in a track test of "pony cars" and their relative performance?

The A/C? The aesthetics of the interior design? How many stations you can get on the stereo? The grade of leather used on the seats?

It was a performance test..... you know, who wins the race. When it comes to performance, lap times are really all that matter, IMHO. Otherwise, what's the damned point?
Floyd

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »
I'm just here to get CAP all worked up.

:rofl :rofl

nearly impossible today. i've got a pretty nasty headache, although it's somewhat subsided by now.......friggin FINALLY.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2012, 07:25:46 PM »
It was on the C5, especially the Z06.    Which is why I was even floored that CAP mentioned it at first.   The MagneRide was on the 09 CTS-V and is more than likely the beginning of the implementation of the same on the Camaro.   The ZR-1 is not the "test bed", it was the Buicks, Holdens, Audi's (cost effective) that were the "test beds".   Not much tweaking is needed between them.    I can tell you this much, there are different grades of it and there is no way in hell the ZR-1 factors into this discussion.   The CTS-V, probably, but not a $100k+ car.    Yes price point will most definitely give you a good barometer.

You're absolutely right. I just went back and did some reading up... I never knew the F55 suspension was magnetic. I stand corrected.

And see? I can admit I was wrong, unlike some.  :rofl
Floyd

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »
:rofl :rofl

nearly impossible today. i've got a pretty nasty headache, although it's somewhat subsided by now.......friggin FINALLY.

I had a headache too, Canadian Club gave it a few whacks, and it's gone. And I'm happy now!  :D

:cheers:
Floyd

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »
Well, Karaya, what other factors should they take into consideration in a track test of "pony cars" and their relative performance?

The A/C? The aesthetics of the interior design? How many stations you can get on the stereo? The grade of leather used on the seats?

It was a performance test..... you know, who wins the race. When it comes to performance, lap times are really all that matter, IMHO. Otherwise, what's the damned point?

I guess I am wondering why you posting Lap times of VIR, of Vettes, had to do with the conversation at hand?   Because the Camaro SS barely beat the V-6 Mustang on that nifty chart.   So I guess I am left wondering why some still feel the need to compare a "Pony Car to a Car that is NOT it's direct competitor".   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC