Author Topic: furmark destorys GPU?  (Read 3247 times)

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: furmark destorys GPU?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »
but it runs 3dmark and games fine?
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »

*sigh*

FurMark is designed to stress your card so much that it overheats.  3DMark does not do that, it is not designed to stress your card in that way.  Also, the scores in 3DMark are artificial as both ATI and Nvidia got caught red handed tweaking their drivers to give artificial high scores.

As for games, well, games aren't designed to purposely over heat your video card.  Again, make sure you read the instructions and disclaimers before using such programs like FurMark.  As you've experienced first hand, it's not a very smart idea to tweak things when you don't really understand what you're doing.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »

If you are getting artifacts, chances are yes, you deep six'd your card.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »
*sigh*

FurMark is designed to stress your card so much that it overheats.  3DMark does not do that, it is not designed to stress your card in that way.  Also, the scores in 3DMark are artificial as both ATI and Nvidia got caught red handed tweaking their drivers to give artificial high scores.

As for games, well, games aren't designed to purposely over heat your video card.  Again, make sure you read the instructions and disclaimers before using such programs like FurMark.  As you've experienced first hand, it's not a very smart idea to tweak things when you don't really understand what you're doing.

ack-ack
so funny i dont know what I'm doing when Ive done this to two other cards my HIS 5670 and my Friends HD radeon 5770. strange how they ALL work fine.

I'm looking too see if anyone else has had this problem, not how my computer sucks, my video card sucks, and now i dint under stand what I'm doing.
i thank you all for the help you have given me info I never knew I didn't know that I'm a clueless idiot who has never done this before (yet i have), or how my video sucks and i should go beg mommy for a new one.
if you have to add more to this conversation then do it in a poilite friendly way, if not the door is right there.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:09:25 AM by olds442 »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 12:54:45 AM »
it isnt that olds.  but the point of oc is to make your card perform better/faster as high as you can do it.  the fact that you messing up with two cards and you dont know why you are getting artifacts perhaps should indicate that you need to learn a little more.

when you start seeing lots of artifacts then it's time to stop and go back to the previous lower stable settings that you had.  you dont work your way down.  you work your way up.

the fact that you play the games and it looks ok it's because those games dont stress your video card as much as that program that you are using.  it's really two different things.

it's like having 100 bucks to spend and you dont  buy the $100 dollar suit but instead go buy the $30 and wonder why you have money left.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 12:57:13 AM »
so funny i dont know what I'm doing when Ive done this to two other cards my HIS 5670 and my Friends HD radeon 5770. strange how they ALL work fine.

I'm looking too see if anyone else has had this problem, not how my computer sucks, my video card sucks, and now i dint under stand what I'm doing.
i thank you all for the help you have given me info I never knew I didn't know that I'm a clueless idiot who has never done this before (yet i have), or how my video sucks and i should go beg mommy for a new one.
if you have to add more to this conversation then do it in a poilite friendly way, if not the door is right there.

If you knew what you were doing then you would know why you were seeing artifacts in FurMark and we wouldn't have to explain it to you.  Take it for what it's worth, some of us know computers a little more than you do.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 04:53:07 AM »
I wish I could buy equipment then abuse it until it cooks in the name of fun.
why dont you buy a card and send it to me for in game testing. I will let yu know how well it performs and it wont get cooked :rock

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 09:52:06 AM »
Maybe someone should email his folks and see if they want to continue to shell out $200 every time he "tests" another card.  :devil

Offline YamaRaja

• Copper Member
      • Elite Squad
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:47 AM »

Quick lesson on memory, video or system.

All memory is not created equal, even in the same batch just as in CPU's
To sort out the better chips they test them in a process known as binning the memory (name comes from sorting the memory and putting in separate bins)
The best example is in system memory. 1600, 1833, 2166 memory can all come from the same batch. Any memory above 1600 is really just overclocked 1600. There is no real standard above 1600. Since only the best of memory chips can be clocked at the higher speeds they cost more, not so much due to the construction costing more but the sorting and rarity of chips able to do so.

Then there are different manufacturers of the chips themselves.
Samsung, Hyundai, Indellux, Micron etc.
Some produce better chips than others.
Micron for one is known to usually overclock better than most.
Hyundai also has made some good chips.
Then there different plants in different countries from the same manufacturer.
Some plants produce a higher quality product than another.
Thats why there are codes on the chips themselves just as in CPU's

Now add video cards manufactures with different motives. The cheaper priced ones use cheaper priced materials.
How do you think they can sell the cards cheaper?

When you overclock system memory past what it can handle it either stops booting or starts blue screening. Keep doing it enough and you either kill the memory or the memory controller.

With video memory it starts producing artifacts, keep pushing it and it will start artifacting at even stock speeds as it gets degraded by to much heat. Feed it with to much voltage such as a bios mod or an overclocking app and it compounds the problem.
Video cards also have a memory controller and voltage regulator. These can also be damaged.  Kind of like to much back pressure in a fluid pump can destroy the pump by overheating.

Not bashing your beloved HIS, just saying they are a cheaper priced card for a reason.

Your seeing artifacts because the memory on your card cant handle what you are asking of it.

Ack Ack is correct. Games and certain benchmarks do not stress components like programs that are designed to test stability.

Herein is the reason it runs some programs and not others.

A standard in overclocking is that a component must be able to run the overclock stable for a minimum of 12 hours pushed to the max before being considered a stable overclock.

CPU's are much the same. Such as my I7 2600k cpu, I can get it to boot to 5.0 with enough voltage, but not stable for 24 hours even with massive cooling. Heck not even stable at all when asked to do much. It will however run 4.7 24/7 with a lower acceptable voltage.
It is however one of only 30% of CPU's that will handle 4.7 24/7 stable. So im ok with it.

Theres lots of reading out there if you want to learn properly. Overclocking properly in small steps and constant testing can be done without killing components.

Enter at own risk.

Hope that helps grasshopper.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:04:22 PM by YamaRaja »
Never leave a wingman behind

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »
Hope your watching your temps on your video card.

I was trying to get alittle more out of my AMD 940 be. I had stable running prime 95 for about 1/2 hour at 3.5, but my CPU cooler will not cut the mustard and keep my CPU cool enough. OH well.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline YamaRaja

• Copper Member
      • Elite Squad
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
Hope your watching your temps on your video card.

I was trying to get alittle more out of my AMD 940 be. I had stable running prime 95 for about 1/2 hour at 3.5, but my CPU cooler will not cut the mustard and keep my CPU cool enough. OH well.

I use a TermalTake Silver Arrow its got 2 push/pull 140mm fans, massive in size.
Argueably the best air cooler on the market.
Case and memory clearance are a concern

Yama
Never leave a wingman behind

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
makes me think I have noctua dh-14 on top of my cpu, an Asus DirectCU videocard, and didn't start abusing my hardware yet  :O
now posting as SirNuke

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »
I use a TermalTake Silver Arrow its got 2 push/pull 140mm fans, massive in size.
Argueably the best air cooler on the market.
Case and memory clearance are a concern

Yama

My memory is really high or tall. Going to build a new computer within the next 18 months. I bought a 6950 xfx 2 gig card   , now just need some mo money.
I run my 940 @ 3.2..good enough. I really don't want to invest in this system anymore nor do I want to take it apart.

Thanks though, I'll take a looksy at it though.................. :)
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 02:09:52 AM »
Maybe someone should email his folks and see if they want to continue to shell out $200 every time he "tests" another card.  :devil
I wish I could buy equipment then abuse it until it cooks in the name of fun.
why dont you buy a card and send it to me for in game testing. I will let yu know how well it performs and it wont get cooked :rock
ok folks lets get this stright, im NOT a complete handsomehunk, and if you think so good for you. i came here to see if any one else had this problem, not how im a whiney kid who dont know what he is doing and is a complete idiot who gets what ever he wants.

only thing that should destroy a good video is heat or overvolting. you cant overvolt a ATI card (well with ease that is) a 80mhz overclock is not going to "destory my card making a awesome fireworks display" when temps are below 130* F.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 07:39:28 AM »
OK folks lets get this straight, I'm NOT a complete handsomehunk, and if you think so, good for you. I came here to see if any one else had this problem, not how I'm a whiny kid who doesn't know what I am doing and is a complete idiot who gets what ever I want.

The only thing that should destroy a good video is heat or over-volting. You can't over-volt an ATI card (well with ease that is), an 80mhz overclock is not going to "destroy my card making an awesome fireworks display" when temps are below 130* F.

:bhead
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors