Author Topic: Question for TrackIR users  (Read 582 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Question for TrackIR users
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
So, I've decided that it's high time that I finally put the effort into TrackIR.  I've had the darn thing for about 2 years, but have never been able to force myself to go more then just a few days before getting frustrated and going back to hat views.

Dagnabbit, I'm going to do it this time!

I'm curious to know how long it took you to get used to TrackIR?  What was the hardest thing to overcome?  And...  Do you have any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance!   :salute

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
Re: Question for TrackIR users
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:21:45 PM »
it will give you a stiff neck at first.......but learn to relax and this will go away. it may also cause some motion sickness, this to will pass with a little bit of practice.

there are some other thread on this topic with some really good advice and profile setups, search them out and you will have all the answers your heart may desire!  :D

good luck!!
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:19:53 AM »
1 week before i stopped getting dizzy.  two months to go back to my normal gunning suckage.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:01:17 AM »
best to use some ones tested profile :)

PM your email I will send you one i use :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »
My trick is to use a very aggressive profile.  I don't have to move my head very much at all.  I also disabled the "rotation" so if I turn my head sideways the cockpit doesn't go upside down on me... well I didn't disable it I just cranked it all the way down that way the little bit of movement keeps a "realistic" feel to it.

It took me about a week to get "fluent" with it but after 2 or 3 days I was getting kills again.

I also programmed two buttons on my stick.. one to center my TrackIR view and one to turn it on and off.  I usually turn it off while GV'ing or gunning.. usually in bombers as well as I'm usually in F3 or F6 mode anyway... so I have to keep my hat switches programmed but no biggie.  I have plenty of buttons.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »
I pretty much echo what the others have said so far.

1. An aggressive profile is better for looking around faster, like a hatswitch.

2. Either increase your deadband or have a button that pauses the trackir for steady gun shots.

3. I would also recommend making your X axis VERY aggressive so looking around headrests is a bit easier.

4. Diable the roll axis.

5. Program one of your joystick buttons to center the trackir.

I'm not sure if I like it yet, what I really need is some dueling to really pop my cherry on the new trackir and stick. No one has come forward yet tho.  :(
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »
I find in some planes I have to recenter TIR more frequently than others.  During a twisty turning dogfight sometime I'm left looking out at some weird angle even though I'm sitting at what I think is the correct position in my chair.  A quick recenter works fine, does anyone else notice this?
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:26:24 PM »

1. An aggressive profile is better for looking around faster, like a hatswitch.

2. Either increase your deadband or have a button that pauses the trackir for steady gun shots.

3. I would also recommend making your X axis VERY aggressive so looking around headrests is a bit easier.

4. Diable the roll axis.

5. Program one of your joystick buttons to center the trackir.

I'm not sure if I like it yet, what I really need is some dueling to really pop my cherry on the new trackir and stick. No one has come forward yet tho.  :(

This is pretty much how I set my tir up.

I find in some planes I have to recenter TIR more frequently than others.  During a twisty turning dogfight sometime I'm left looking out at some weird angle even though I'm sitting at what I think is the correct position in my chair.  A quick recenter works fine, does anyone else notice this?

Hyzer I experience this is in some planes as well.

Usually when I first start flying I have to center my tir several times until I get settled in. Once I am though I don't have to recenter unless I take my head set off or bump the pro clip.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:42:25 PM »

--- 38j's at sunrise Brother, we can go till your hearts content, nothing better than a couple blenders grinding out plane parts, seriously PM if you see me on usually SUN ,MON and TUES night, my days off.

:salute

HL
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »

No not really.. sometimes I'll shift my position in my seat and I'll have to recenter and I've very anal about recentering it frequently but most times I don't really even have to.

I forgot about the dead band.. make sure you have a good amount of it so tiny head movements doesn't throw off your aim.

And beyond this it's really just a matter of learning the muscle memory for your neck.  Only time can do that for you.

What sucks is when I'm watching TV and some action happens and moves off the side of the screen.  I (and my girlfriend makes fun of me for this) will often instinctively turn my head to try to keep watching the action and then I'm instantly disappointed because it doesn't work that way!

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »
I also move my head watching TV even driving the car I will try tu use my Tak IR...DOH maybe I am just to 'simple" to live

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »
I never got used to it and use it mostly for GVs. Just yesterday I ran a Yak into the ground cause I had track IR on. I dont understand it, in ROF its an asset.
Yes, your on "Ignore"