Author Topic: Ground Attacks on Enemy Tanks and Vehicles  (Read 856 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Ground Attacks on Enemy Tanks and Vehicles
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:08:54 PM »
During the on-line events, is there any protocol about ground attacks on enemy tanks or vehicles around your Vehicle Base? In other words if there are several "friendly" tanks attacking enemy ground forces, is there any protocol about engaging the enemy at the same time? I don't want to be shooting up the enemy and make everyone mad at me at the same time. :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Ground Attacks on Enemy Tanks and Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
For the main arenas its a free for all. Go for any kill you can get. In GV battles its hard to tell "who" is fighting "who" so you don't worry about it. In the air, if a couple of guys are dogfighting it is nice to "ask" if the guy wants/need help. but a lot of people ignore that too.

For Senarios, or FSO and such they do have some rules and you should check them out before enrolling in them.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:32:31 PM »
Thanks Fugitive, just as a clarification, I was referring to my attacking enemy vehicles with a Ground Attack Aircraft, say Typhoon, while friendlies were also attacking them from the ground.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »
Thanks Fugitive, just as a clarification, I was referring to my attacking enemy vehicles with a Ground Attack Aircraft, say Typhoon, while friendlies were also attacking them from the ground.

No real protocal, I would ask the guys on the ground first though, thing is if you are diving on a tank to drop a bomb - and a friendly tank is pelting that enemy tank and he dies, you just wasted a bomb.

Many many ground attackers will try to attack whatever they see, problem is tankers probably have them lined up already.

Best situation is this: you are flying over an enemy spawn and your friendlies are to far away, and see you see some enemy tanks - call them out then bomb them.

Worse situation - friendlies have the spawn covered and you dive in on those enemy tanks upping - not likely to score many kills.

JG 52

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »
Thanks Butcher. I'm fairly new at this game, but even I get lucky every now and then, only to have some one shoot my target out of the sky in front of me(Flame On!). Don't want to do that to anyone if I can help it either, at least not till I have the skills to complete the kill.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »
  If there is one enemy tank that upped at the spawn and we have friendly tanks moving to engage I will work as a spotter and direct the friendly to it. If it's a mass GV attack or friendly GVs outnumbered feel free to help.
  I just don't like taking our GV's chance at a tank battle and get the one kill after he spent time driving out there.  :mad:

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:53:52 PM »
From an enemy tanker's perspective, it's never ok to bomb them.  Despite their intent to destroy your town, pork your base and/or camp hangars.  Enemy tanks will up into a camped spawn over and over to get killed dozens of times by the same camptards, but drop a bomb on them and they get mad.  :rolleyes:

Friendly tankers also hate when you drop bombs on enemy tanks because they feel that they earned the kill more than you have with your easy mode SBD.  They love that you bomb tanks when their own tanks are in danger, however.  Then you are a hero.   :)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
From an enemy tanker's perspective, it's never ok to bomb them.  Despite their intent to destroy your town, pork your base and/or camp hangars.  Enemy tanks will up into a camped spawn over and over to get killed dozens of times by the same camptards, but drop a bomb on them and they get mad.  :rolleyes:

Friendly tankers also hate when you drop bombs on enemy tanks because they feel that they earned the kill more than you have with your easy mode SBD.  They love that you bomb tanks when their own tanks are in danger, however.  Then you are a hero.   :)

Ignore this, I get bombed by said "uppers" who die once then return to bomb me more often then none, if they up at a spawn - bomb them. More then likely they are going to come back and bring bombs if they have any sense knowing 1 decent tanker can stop an entire group of 5 enemy tanks alone.

I rather have someone bomb an enemy tank and I take care of Wirbels then face a dozen tanks by myself, If you ask the gents you are diving it, people like me will gladly hold my fire - you have so many bombs, I have ten times the amount of ammo.
So it doesn't hurt me to hold fire for one shot.
JG 52

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »
Thanks everyone, that pretty much lets me know. Bottom line "ask"!!! Can Do! Slate I have watched you several times and your tankers, I'll chime in next time.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »
What is the best way to take out a tank? Bombs or can you use Aircraft 20mm or 30mm cannon fire? What about 50 cal. machine gun fire? :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »
bombs are the best, you can drop them from high enough not to get tagged back. 30 mils diving strait down works, but you have to get pretty close. 20s and 50s not so much except for wirbles or other open top vehicles.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:47:21 AM »
What is the best way to take out a tank? Bombs or can you use Aircraft 20mm or 30mm cannon fire? What about 50 cal. machine gun fire? :headscratch:

Tanks you generally want to fly the IL-2 and Hurricane 2D - the IL-2 has the option for armored piercing 20mm or 37mm cannons (I suggest the 37mm), the Hurricane has a pair of 40mm cannons. The B-25H has a 75mm Cannon but its High Explosive (still a rear shot can destroy a tank) only thing is it handles like a dog.

You have to dive near vertical on the tank to destroy them, you can hit them from a flat straight line, problem is tanks will shoot back it still can be done though - if you use ZOOM to look at their turret when you are flying towards them you can
see if their turret is aimed at you or not.

If it is, I suggest climbing out, if not then continue an attack.

JG 52

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »
Thanks Butcher, I had always assumed the Tempest and the Typhoon were both good "tank busters". I will try your technique the next opportunity I get. Getting shot down is no biggey, it happens to me all the time!LOL :rolleyes:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »
Thanks Butcher, I had always assumed the Tempest and the Typhoon were both good "tank busters". I will try your technique the next opportunity I get. Getting shot down is no biggey, it happens to me all the time!LOL :rolleyes:

Noo not quite, Typhoon was a really good close support aircraft carrying 4x 20mm hispanos and up to 2k in ordnance, Tempest should be left as a pure fighter - its far to fast as a fighter to be used in a ground attack mode - ordnance creates drag which slows the aircraft down.

I've sometimes hit targets with the Tempest carrying a pair of 1,000lb bombs, but its rarely done.
JG 52