Author Topic: Aircraft repair and refuel and rearm  (Read 1420 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Aircraft repair and refuel and rearm
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
I can't wait to hear the comments on this! How about, since we have big old empty hangars sitting around doing nothing except taking up field space, I would like to see Hi Tech program the game where you could taxi a damaged aircraft into one of these hangars, sit 3 minutes and the aircraft would be made "whole" again, with rearm and refuel functions included. Of course, you would be able to keep your "kills" or damage points until you finally ended your "sortie". Many aircraft during WW2 were repaired with the pilot sitting in the aircraft, waiting to take off again. Of course these were mostly fighters of the RAF and the U.S. forces in the South Pacific. As for Navy Aircraft off of a carrier, how about taxi to elevator, press "tab" 8 or something, aircraft lowers to maintenance area, wait 3 minutes, taxi back to elevator, be upped to flight deck, taxi into position and take off again. Sounds to me like it would add something to the game. How about it guys, or you all "kick the tires, light the fires and leap into the blue to dogfight some more" type "pilots"
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
Re: Aircraft repair and refuel and rearm
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
I don't know where you got the whole "pilots would sometimes sit in the cockpit while their planes got repaired." Repairs to pretty much ANY damage took days, especially losing a major part like an elevator, flap, etc.

This won't happen, sorry to burst your bubble.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »
I don't know where you got the whole "pilots would sometimes sit in the cockpit while their planes got repaired." Repairs to pretty much ANY damage took days, especially losing a major part like an elevator, flap, etc.

This won't happen, sorry to burst your bubble.

Oh good grief.  Why not?  The guy is suggesting an option that will take longer to repair the aircraft than .ef and reupping. 

While coding resources might be better utilized on other things, adding this certainly wouldn't hurt the game and for some would make it more enjoyable.

+1 from me
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »
     Strangely enough, in the USAF anyway, when your plane landed your sortie ended.  While all repairs didn't require hours I can
safely say that the pilots NEVER sat in the cockpit while I was working on the aircraft.  Of course I was a radar mechanic, so having
a pilot in the way sure wouldn't have sped things along very much  :D

Also it was generally a given that the crew would have to explain to the MX guys what was broken <obviously missing parts are
pretty clear malfunctions>, so shutting off the powerplant would definitely make this process alot easier.  Hollywood aside, flightlines
are remarkably poor places to communicate due to noise.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »
Aces High has always been a compromise between playability and realism.  As such, I see no problem with this idea as long as the repair time is proportional to the damage.  Just as rearming benefits the patient and methodical pilot, so should repairs.

Maximizing a sortie is something only hardcore score junkies will bother to do.  Implementing a system that takes several minutes for minor repairs, and even longer for major ones, makes sense if for no other reason than our fuel burn rate is X2 in the main arenas.  If a few pilots want to sit in a hangar (and risk getting dropped on or vulched) to continue their sortie, then I say let them.  It doesn't effect the rest of us at all.
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
I'm not opposed to it, if...

1)  The repair time is based upon damage.
2)  Repairs are done in one of the hangars and re-arms are in the current place.
3)  Some damage is too severe for such repairs, like missing half a wing etc.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline major347

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 08:32:02 AM »
+1 for me
as someone has already said this is not a true simulation. if it was we would run into our teammates, engine management would be a lot more complex, refueling re-arming would take longer than 30 seconds and the game would not as enjoyable to such a wide variety of people.

but this is a game, so it is meant to be fun.

so if someone had the skill or luck to make it back to a friendly base and wants to risk the multiple minutes on the ground unable to defend themselves. Everyone that plays this game know how quickly the tides can turn. Planes on the tarmac that aren't moving are awfully tasty targets. Now before everyone goes half crazy about vultures let me just remind everyone that it happened in WWII. Why can't it happen  in this game?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »
Hitech has mentioned several times that the only way he could implement something like this, it would have to end the flight and start a new one while you wait.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »
Definately +1.

The naysayers who argue the realism routinely rearm thier entire loadout in 30 seconds multiple times per sortie and that's nowhere near realistic either.

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 10:41:30 AM »
Definately +1.

The naysayers who argue the realism routinely rearm thier entire loadout in 30 seconds multiple times per sortie and that's nowhere near realistic either.

I never re-arm.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »

The huge kill totals obtainable by rearming and counting it a single sortie should reflect the skill, or timidity to be fair, needed to keep the aircraft in working condition.  Some of the damage we land with would take days or even write the aircraft off.

Johnnie Johnson's airplane was only hit once, he took a 20mm round to the main spar of his Spitfire in an HO with an Fw190.  That one hit didn't shoot him down, but the Spitfire was a writeoff after landing it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »
Hitech has mentioned several times that the only way he could implement something like this, it would have to end the flight and start a new one while you wait.

semp

I would not have said that.

I would have said something similar to ,I would not implement this, unless the repair would count as a sortie, just like exiting and starting a new sortie.

HiTech

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »

semp

HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
I would have said something similar to ,I would not implement this, unless the repair would count as a sortie, just like exiting and starting a new sortie.

Sounds reasonable. Once you're on the ground and stopped, the sortie should end no matter what. If you get repaired (or even re-arm), your kill streak should end and a new sortie should start. Then we'd see more true numbers for kill streaks and kills per sortie.

Taxi to the repair hangar and wait for repairs; taxi to the re-arm pad and wait for fuel and ammo; take off; "new" sortie starts when your wheels leave the ground. Once you finally land and tower out, the system message can spam with however many re-arms/repairs you did, and we can see how many "sorties" were actually flown.

Player2: Hey did you see those silly bombers?
Player3: Yeah, they're silly.
SYSTEM: Player1 landed 3 kills in his plane
SYSTEM: Player1 landed 5 kills in his plane
SYSTEM: Player1 landed 2 kills in his plane
Player2: What about those GV's?
Player2: WTG Player1
Player3: WTG Player1

My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 12:53:31 PM »
Sounds reasonable. Once you're on the ground and stopped, the sortie should end no matter what. If you get repaired (or even re-arm), your kill streak should end and a new sortie should start. Then we'd see more true numbers for kill streaks and kills per sortie.

Taxi to the repair hangar and wait for repairs; taxi to the re-arm pad and wait for fuel and ammo; take off; "new" sortie starts when your wheels leave the ground. Once you finally land and tower out, the system message can spam with however many re-arms/repairs you did, and we can see how many "sorties" were actually flown.

Player2: Hey did you see those silly bombers?
Player3: Yeah, they're silly.
SYSTEM: Player1 landed 3 kills in his plane on Sortie 1
SYSTEM: Player1 landed 5 kills in his plane on Sortie 2
SYSTEM: Player1 landed 2 kills in his plane on Sortie 3
Player2: What about those GV's?
Player2: WTG Player1
Player3: WTG Player1

That would be cool.  But I can imagine someone landing 20 2 kill sorties and spamming the feed lol.  Or a squad doing something similar.
Curry1-Since Tour 101