Author Topic: I’m looking for a T-6 Texan main wheel. Any ideas?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
Re: I’m looking for a T-6 Texan main wheel. Any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »
Thanks Bodhi! I just ordered a used wheel form Lance Aircraft. I also ordered the small bearing cover for the center of the wheel.

Now for a tire… The wheels I originally bid on had agricultural tires mounted on them. While doing an online search for these wheels I read how old crop dusters would put BT-13 wheels on Stearmans and actually use tractor tires because they were only $25 and lasted four times as long.

So I am now on the search for a used 27” 9.75 aircraft tire, or a 9.5L 14 wagon tire that looks the part. Once again, any ideas would be appreciated, and thanks for the helps so far.

I’ll be sure to post a pic when the project is finished.
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »
Thanks Bodhi! I just ordered a used wheel form Lance Aircraft. I also ordered the small bearing cover for the center of the wheel.

Now for a tire… The wheels I originally bid on had agricultural tires mounted on them. While doing an online search for these wheels I read how old crop dusters would put BT-13 wheels on Stearmans and actually use tractor tires because they were only $25 and lasted four times as long.

So I am now on the search for a used 27” 9.75 aircraft tire, or a 9.5L 14 wagon tire that looks the part. Once again, any ideas would be appreciated, and thanks for the helps so far.

I’ll be sure to post a pic when the project is finished.

Make sure you also ordered the retaining clip that holds the cover in place, as it is a part of the assembly and looks "odd" without it.  Not to mention the cap will not stay in place.

As for main wheels, let me make a couple of calls.  I know a couple of operators.  Had you asked me three weeks ago, I would have given you several, but alas, those are long since gone to become road base or whatever it is they do with old tires these days.  PM me your location, that will help as well, as I may know someone near by who is an operator.

The only thing I am going to tell you, is mounting the wheels is beyond a squeak without effing up the rims.  I made special spoons made of aluminum to do it, but it still sucked major arse.  The wheels are aluminum or magnesium, depending upon manufacturer and both are very suceptible to gouging when placing the tire on.  An old tire that has been laying around a long time will be stiff beyond belief and nigh impossible to get on.  The reason is, the wheels are one piece, so you can't just split them to place them in.  A tire mounting machine will be your best bet, but explain what you want before hand as I have had a tire company destroy a wheel trying to mount a new tire.

I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »
The T-6 main wheel arrived. Here is a quick trial mockup of what I want to do with it. It needs a light polishing, and once a tire is mounted, I’m going to place a 24” circular glass table top on it. The base is from an office desk chair. That way it can be wheeled around the garage easily.

My original plan was to remove the mechanics of the desk chair and mount the wheel on a steel tube at a fixed height… But I am now thinking that I may keep everything below the seat of the desk chair. This would allow me to lower the wheel when we are sitting in chairs, and raise it when we are standing near the dartboard.  

Wish me luck! CHEERS!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:15:51 PM by G0ALY »
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »
Goaly,
Does the wheel have the Zeus springs still in the retainers for the wheel cover?  If it does, use a nice plexi and give me a depth to the spring.  Then you can countersink the plexi and attach the "top" that way.  It will be very strong.

As for polishing, just get out some good degreaser and a couple of scrub brushes.  That is one nice looking used wheel from here.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 06:42:20 AM »
Hello Bodhi, the wheel did not come with springs for the retainers. I was planning on using a 3/8 inch thick glass top because the local hobby shop has them pre-made with rounded edges for thirty bucks. If I use a 24 inch top the tire should stick out past the glass about an inch and a half.

Thanks for the idea though, I will have to consider plexiglass and clips.