Author Topic: Looking for an odd A/V device  (Read 230 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Looking for an odd A/V device
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:49:19 AM »
So, being the ghettoish geek that I am, we basically have a TV with only two HDMI-in ports, one cable/coax-in port, this weird setup where we get to choose to either have one set of regular composite OR component input ports, and conveniently one set of RCA audio-out plugs. However, our audio setup is analog (and as old as me, but that's beside the point :D). We now have three devices which can either use component or HDMI and two that only use composite video. Before (when we only had 2 HDMI devices), we simply hooked up both HDMI devices and used the RCA jacks for composite, which came from a switch to the two devices and let the TV feed the audio out through the RCAs to the amplifier. Problem is, the TV's sound processing system is junk, and outputs too weak of a signal to jive well with a sound system (yay China).

Long story short, our goal is twofold: we'd love to have enough digital ports to serve all three of the devices, and preferably in HDMI so we don't have to drop the component devices. BUT, the audio should also come out as the red/white L/R RCA cables. Basically, we want to stop feeding audio through the TV and send it straight out to the speaker system from a switch.
Shorter story even shorter, looking for HDMI-capable switching unit that outputs HDMI and composite with which to hijack the audio from at the same time. Does such a switch exist? And if so, does it cost less than buying a whole new digital audio system and a regular switch? :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
Re: Looking for an odd A/V device
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
You need an A/V receiver.   Most all have several HDMI, component and composite inputs, as well as HDMI and component outputs.   It handles the sound for each input device as well.  Some are pricey, some are cheep, you get what you pay for.  The downside is you may have to teach the family to learn to use two remote controls.   :D
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
So, being the ghettoish geek that I am, we basically have a TV with only two HDMI-in ports, one cable/coax-in port, this weird setup where we get to choose to either have one set of regular composite OR component input ports, and conveniently one set of RCA audio-out plugs. However, our audio setup is analog (and as old as me, but that's beside the point :D). We now have three devices which can either use component or HDMI and two that only use composite video. Before (when we only had 2 HDMI devices), we simply hooked up both HDMI devices and used the RCA jacks for composite, which came from a switch to the two devices and let the TV feed the audio out through the RCAs to the amplifier. Problem is, the TV's sound processing system is junk, and outputs too weak of a signal to jive well with a sound system (yay China).

Long story short, our goal is twofold: we'd love to have enough digital ports to serve all three of the devices, and preferably in HDMI so we don't have to drop the component devices. BUT, the audio should also come out as the red/white L/R RCA cables. Basically, we want to stop feeding audio through the TV and send it straight out to the speaker system from a switch.
Shorter story even shorter, looking for HDMI-capable switching unit that outputs HDMI and composite with which to hijack the audio from at the same time. Does such a switch exist? And if so, does it cost less than buying a whole new digital audio system and a regular switch? :D

AV receivers are getting cheap. Now you can get stuff for 300 bucks that used to cost 3000.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?mode=series#tab=product_lineup
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:47 AM »
I have 5 remotes in the living room... not including the remote that is supposed to run all the stuff but doesn't. It does have pretty lights though.  :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
Heck, we have a pile of remotes that I use...the lesser-inclined get to use the programmable remote that I can pack all the other commands into. :D Thanks for the vocabulary, guys, I just didn't know what to search for.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115316

NewEgg has some good prices on the Yamaha AV Recievers.  Average 50-100 Under MSRP.
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin