Author Topic: P47 main fuel hits bug  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
P47 main fuel hits bug
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:22 PM »
apparently the main fuel hit box is the size of a small planet because I have yet to be hit in a p47 and not get a main fuel tank leak.

please investigate.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: P47 main fuel hits bug
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »
I think the main fuel tank IS the size of a small planet...   The only things bigger that I know of are the radiators in 109s and the oil in 190s...  :D   :bolt:

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:33:15 AM »
Fester,

You will have to argue these results with Hitech.

I used the Yak9U as the shooting fighter.

I put all P47 in the drone circuit and from 200 back low 6 off angle used only the 50cal in taps. 4 rounds average per tap. All of the 47's suffer the same fuel leak, then flame that the Fw19-D9 does, same shot areas. The low side angle from the wing rear edge fuslage junction forward below the wing line under the pilot if hit by a single tap from the Yak's 50cals will make a fuel leak. Then a second or third tap directly into the leak causes a flame. It seems once the fuel leak is present the aircraft is more suseptable to subsiquent damage if you don't ignite the leak. Sometimes in trying to ignite the leak the burst instead passes through and kills the pilot more often in the D11, D25 and M.

Here are the P47 by their sturdiness or resistance to the test. Strongest down to weakest. But, they all have the same leak from the same shot low off angle. I only accidentaly caused a single oil leak/black smoke trail. Otherwise these airframes are very resistant to damage.

P47N
P47D-40
P47D-25
P47M
P47D-11
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:18:21 AM »
if the AUX fuel tank could be fufl whatever the % you take that would be a start
now posting as SirNuke

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:24:40 AM »
I took main fule damage in p47N and ... DAMN ... IT WORKS GREAT    LOL

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
The F4U-4 has the small planet sized fuel tank as well.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »
That's why I invariably take the 75% load and no drop in the "N"---(42 minutes) after the predictable 'main fuel' hit....the are 17 min in the aux/wings (truly less, as the plane doesnt fly well with a full aux, so I always drain half of THAT before switching to main. Prolly gonna fly M all month....out of 8 or 9 flights last night, got 4 main-fuels (can't hit squat either....gunnery is ALL different from N)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »
I launch with 3/4 or full of fuel and switch to main fuel only almost right away,,  in the M,,,  the reserve gives you 10 minutes of fuel and rarely gets hit,,, this has been a problem for a few years
 not long after the M was released.

it would be nice if the self sealing tanks at least kind of worked!!!!!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 07:30:28 PM »
Earlier jugs have same issue as M....ya just don't fly them as often to notice

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 09:24:34 PM »
Earlier jugs have same issue as M....ya just don't fly them as often to notice
You are rite, I fly the N and the M more than the rest,  I would go back to mid war tho, if I had the D-25 in there, it doesn't seem fair to only have the 11
Flying since tour 71.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »
You are rite, I fly the N and the M more than the rest,  I would go back to mid war tho, if I had the D-25 in there, it doesn't seem fair to only have the 11
biggest reason I dont go there...cant compete with PJ's and spit9's with 11 (not like 25's are THAT much easier)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »
definite bug this, or possibly 3 bugs ...

1. Aux tank vs Main tank hits. from most angles the chance of hitting either tank should be roughly the same. from dead 6, ~90% chance of hitting aux tank.

2. Main tank is far too easy to damage. apart from the engine and the plate behind the pilot seat, the fuel tanks were the pilots armour.

3. Jugs Flambé. Something changed a year or so back so that a fuel hit now almost guarantees a fire and hence a destroyed jug. I never used to burst into flames, since the change it happens all the time.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »
The other thing that always happens---lose half of right wing. I used to leave the sideways portions of my 4-way hat on the CH stick JUST for saving the plane after I lost a half wing (aileron trim) But I noticed that it's ALWAYS the right wing that either gets half-way or completely taken off, to the extent that I mapped that trim button to something else

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »
Could there be an issu with teh self sealing part of this eekuation?

Misspelt deliberately so HiTech could understand it.  :t
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »
So research chemgum self-sealing fuel tanks in the P47.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.