Author Topic: Opinions on this cooler  (Read 464 times)

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
Opinions on this cooler
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »
Currently I've been running a stock cooler for my i7-950 with no over clocking. I was wondering how much better of a cooler this would be.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Opinions on this cooler
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »
It'll definitely do a better job than the stock cooler that's for sure. I've always been a big fan of the Zalman line of coolers. Currently I'm using a 9900Max cooler and love it. Running a mild overclock at 4.4 and mine gets to about 64c tops.

If you're looking for a really good cheap cooler check out the cooler master hyper 212+.

Just be sure whatever cooler you buy will fit in your case. Height will be a factor with the ones I suggested. Memory clearance might be an issue with the one you're looking at. That one is a little wide. Google clearance issues with it and your motherboard.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »
Zalman is good for sure. I have 2 of these with one on an overclocked machine. I think Semp recommended it and I've been quite happy with it. Easy to install and the fan comes off to facilitate installation. The way it's designed makes it an almost fool proof installation.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:06:34 PM »
Oh and be sure and get a little tube of Arctic Silver V thermal compound. Here's the instructions on how to apply it if you dont already know.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »
I have two systems running this and two others running the Blue Orb or Ruby orb... No difference between them. Either the Big Shuriken or Thermalright MST-140 are good for one or two C more (less temp) when lapped properly.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:43:57 AM »
I need a satellite style cooler since I have a Xclio Blackhawk case, and the window fan makes me unable to use tall coolers. I shouldn't have a problem with my memory since my memory heatsinks are low.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:12:29 AM »
The Big Shuriken is probably even better then. Reaches just 58mm above the CPU.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556096658.html?productid=840556096658&channelid=FROOG
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:39 AM »
I need a satellite style cooler since I have a Xclio Blackhawk case, and the window fan makes me unable to use tall coolers. I shouldn't have a problem with my memory since my memory heatsinks are low.

It might not be a tall heatsink thing. It may be the thing literally blocks a memory slot--or two. I was thinkinig of using one I had like that for a bench cooler when I put my i7 rig together but it totally blocked memory slots on my mobo. Was a good plan but I didn't do my homework. Just make sure whatever you buy has clearance, Clarence. :aok
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »
Yeah thats what I like about the coolerguys. They publish the dimensions on things like this.

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-V6GT-220-Watt-RR-V6GT-22PK-R1/dp/B003XNG6LI/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1334096238&sr=8-13

I replaced my water cooling with the above, after seeing this cooler do wonders for a sandybridge system that was having heat problems. It's BIG, real Big and you need to make certain it will fit, but if it does it will do a great job of cooling. It had real good reviews from both owners and commercial review sites.

Wabb

Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:47:49 AM »
Turns out that the 8900 would block my memory.  :bhead

I need to get a ruler to measure my clearance to the side of my case. Anyone know the height / radius of the stock i7 Bloomfield coolers?