Author Topic: F18 crashes into building  (Read 1879 times)

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
Re: F18 crashes into building
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
Calm down Tupac, the story is not even a day old.  Not even the investigators on site know what happened yet, this may not be anything like the Miramar situation.

It's just as likely that the pilot and backseater where in a situation where the aircraft was going in whether they stayed with it or not.

Fighter pilots don't take ejecting from an aircraft lightly.    An interesting statistic I heard the other day from a friend who was an Air Force F4 pilot is that in combat areas F4 ejections had a 95% survival rate, while in non-combat/peacetime only 80%.  The reasoning behind the statistics is that there is no negative stigma attached to bailing out of a plane that is all shot to hell in a warzone, fact is they will likely pin a medal on your chest for it.  But if you're bailing out in peacetime odds are it's because you screwed something up and rather then get a medal you're likely to lose your job and be publicly humiliated, and so you're more likely to hang with it longer, sometimes too long.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
nothing to see here move along.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:05:26 PM by Tec »
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
You said you were done.  Now go auger so I can talk about what a chitty pilot you are and how I would have done it better.

You're an ass.

Sit down and rotate, oh wait.......you would enjoy that. Ass.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »
Calm down Tupac, the story is not even a day old.  Not even the investigators on site know what happened yet, this may not be anything like the Miramar situation.

It's just as likely that the pilot and backseater where in a situation where the aircraft was going in whether they stayed with it or not.

Fighter pilots don't take ejecting from an aircraft lightly.    An interesting statistic I heard the other day from a friend who was an Air Force F4 pilot is that in combat areas F4 ejections had a 95% survival rate, while in non-combat/peacetime only 80%.  The reasoning behind the statistics is that there is no negative stigma attached to bailing out of a plane that is all shot to hell in a warzone, fact is they will likely pin a medal on your chest for it.  But if you're bailing out in peacetime odds are it's because you screwed something up and rather then get a medal you're likely to lose your job and be publicly humiliated, and so you're more likely to hang with it longer, sometimes too long.

Hmmm, that is a good point. I must deliberate further, but my opinion (and from postings on another forum) is being changed.

Except that Tec is an ass. That fact needs no more deliberation.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 02:45:59 PM »
i r t3h meanie
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:05:01 PM by Tec »
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »
I've seen your pic, you shouldn't be telling gay jokes.

Big talk coming from someone without enough balls to post their own.

Suffice to say I'm way ahead of wherever the hell you were when you were 17.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:49:20 PM by Tupac »

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 02:48:53 PM »
Can just feel the love here  :rofl
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
Why dont you post yours? People who live in glass houses.......

Because I'm one ugly fugger.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »
When the cockpit of the 210 started filling up with smoke my first thought was to make sure if I went down I wouldnt hurt anyone on the ground.

But keep on talking, princess.

Again good for you. I'm sure the same thought went through the F-18 pilots heads when they declared an emergency (if they had time)

Every emergency or crash is different, but somehow you think your emergency was because now since you lived and didn't hurt anyone, you seem to feel you have the right to point the finger..

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »
Someone on another forum posted this picture

and said
Having been in the F-18 community for a while, this picture tells me a lot. For one the VEN(variable exhaust nozzle on the left size is closed, indicating that the engine was most likely shut down. The full open VEN on the right indicates it was probably in full AB.

and then went on to say that (and Im paraphrasing here) If he had just taken off and was at a steep angle low to the ground, its possible he stalled and spun which would mean as low to the ground as he was he had no way to control the plane. OEI isnt bueno for spin recovery.

I jumped to conclusions and made myself look like an ass. Happy everyone? I'm going to stop digging now.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »

I jumped to conclusions and made myself look like an ass. Happy everyone? I'm going to stop digging now.

Yes, and I'm sorry for winding you up, but once the snowball got rolling it grew pretty quick.

To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »
Yes, and I'm sorry for winding you up, but once the snowball got rolling it grew pretty quick.

and I apologize for what I said. It was hurtful and uncalled for. I woke up with a gnarly headache today (I'm allergic to 2 things, Cedar and Oak pollen. Oak is really really high) and has made me grumbly and irritable. I lose the filter between my brain and mouth (or brain and fingers in this case)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »
Tec and Tupac - I think you're both cool dudes, hate to see you arguing.

Reading a comment on the article*, apparently a fire was noticed off the (left?) wing prior to ejection.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »
Tec and Tupac - I think you're both cool dudes, hate to see you arguing.

And I think you're pretty rad too.

Quick, someone be mean, we're dangerously close to busting out into kumbaya here.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH