Author Topic: stick problems =\  (Read 513 times)

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
stick problems =\
« on: November 04, 2002, 07:30:20 AM »
Seems like something has died in me sticks =\

Thrustmaster, F16 FLCS, TQS, Elite pedals, does not have the digital upgrade chips.  

None of the buttons work.  None.  The 4 axis are recognized in the game controller box in windows, and it says everything's working ok there.  Even boot the machine to dos and reload the b50 file, no problems there.  But the buttons aren't doing thier thing.  And the pass through for the trackball is dead as well.

What happened:  While checking my email, after high lighting all the new messages I'm ctrl+clicking on the few I want to save one of the 2yr old evil monsters makes a stealth approach to my desk and hits either the reset or power button on the tower.  Next thing I see on the screen is a box saying windows is shutting down, so I'm guessing he hit the power button and held it for the requisite 4 seconds.  So much for setting it to 4sec delay in the bios for saving the day.

Anyway, after securing the monster in his play yard I return to my desk, hitting the power button as I sit down to light the system.  Get to the login in screen (win2k pro) and there's the first hint of trouble.  Trackball isn't working.  So instead of logging in I shut down the system, thinking to grab the mouse out of the closet to check.  Then I get the thought to put the trackball directly to the 'puter instead of running through the pass through on the TQS.  Boot up, we're in business.  Being in a hurry I didna think about what doom that might indicate.

Until later that evening.  I loaded up AH and went to go flyin.  In the game, to the hanger, preflight my pony, hit the runway button, thumb the starter on the TQS and nothin.  Nothin at all.  Start hitting other buttons and nothing is happening.  Even the .50s don't respond to the trigger.

So, who's got ideas?  Are they completely hosed?  Or is there some glimmer of hope that they might be resurrected and keep'em hangin on til tax time when I plan on picking up a cougar.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2002, 07:38:41 AM by CavemanJ »

Offline flakmgc

• Zinc Member
Re: stick problems =\
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »
I'm kind of having the same problems. I have a microsoft SideWinder 2 FFb. Within the past couple months my trigger has been messing up. I have the trigger mapped to "fire all guns". I do not know if this is "bug "related, but say if the trigger is depressed it fires about 40-50% of the time. I have done exploratory surgery on the stick and I do not see any external problems with the wiring, circuit boards. Every time I calibrate the stick and hit the trigger it flashes without sporatic deadness.<---This is why I am at a loss. In a way I hope it's a trend with other people so maybe I can modify my settings, files, and fix the bug. OR...maybe it's time for a new stick.
~FLAK~

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
the 2yr old evil monsters makes a stealth approach to my desk and hits either the reset or power button on the tower.  Next thing I see on the screen is a box saying windows is shutting down, so I'm guessing he hit the power button and held it for the requisite 4 seconds.  So much for setting it to 4sec delay in the bios for saving the day.
The 4 second shutdown is instant, no messages... Modern pc bioses are set up to do a normal shutdown with the start button, too, to avoid problems caused by instant power-offs.

It looks like your drivers have been corrupted. The reasons why are numerous, from too little ram through a failing PSU to a failing HDD or swollen capacitors on the motherboard. Not to mention hibernation files or malware.

The first thing to do would be a chkdsk /r from the Recovery console, instructions also here. Running a HDD test wouldn't harm either. You can find one from your HDD manufacturer's site, or a collection of them on the Ultimate Boot CD. If your hard disk seems to be intact, reinstall the drivers for malfunctioning devices. If the hard disk is defective, get a new one and clone the contents. If you have to replace the disk, it's good practice to run chkdsk /r after cloning.

Are you running Win2k on an original "Designed for Microsoft (R) Windows 2000" machine or using 2k because it's light on the resources?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »
Your bumping 10 year old threads.

You would be better off starting your own thread about your problem .

Set your trigger to work
something else, fire mains, and see if the issue disappears. If it does, something else may be an issue.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:57:29 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:07:07 PM »
D'oh! Got pwned, didn't read the OP's date.  :bhead
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »
I'm kind of having the same problems. I have a microsoft SideWinder 2 FFb. Within the past couple months my trigger has been messing up. I have the trigger mapped to "fire all guns". I do not know if this is "bug "related, but say if the trigger is depressed it fires about 40-50% of the time. I have done exploratory surgery on the stick and I do not see any external problems with the wiring, circuit boards. Every time I calibrate the stick and hit the trigger it flashes without sporatic deadness.<---This is why I am at a loss. In a way I hope it's a trend with other people so maybe I can modify my settings, files, and fix the bug. OR...maybe it's time for a new stick.

Most likely this indicates a worn momentary switch under the trigger. You can swap it out if you are handy and can solder, or can find someone who can. The component is cheap and easy to find. Good luck.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »
probally fried a CPU!!!
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 01:46:59 AM »

Is it possible you are moving into another stick mode that does not have the trigger mapped?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.