Author Topic: Married 27 years this week…  (Read 461 times)

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Married 27 years this week…
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 05:07:30 PM »
MAN it has been forever since I saw a rotary dial phone!

Must be a bugger to text with.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 07:41:07 AM »
I honestly don’t know the name of the cigars… When I thought about doing this, I explained to the owner of the cigar shop what I was trying to do, and asked for mild and tight wrapped (because I guessed the added humidity might loosen the leaf) decent cigars. I went solely on their recommendation. I bought four cigars and left one out of the jar so it could be used to see what difference the whiskey infusion makes.

About the phone, It’s not just any old  rotary dial…

Its from the 1940s made by General Electric for the Bell system. It’s made out of Bakelite ( polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolan hydride ) so the handset alone weighs over a full pound. Our local phone system still recognizes pulse signals, so this is the phone that I use most of the time. It’s fun to watch people who have never actually “Dialed” a telephone try to use it.

This phone is in the kitchen.

It’s a Stromberg Carlson 1918 model.
I added pieces from a cheap old rotary telephone, so you can actually answer incoming calls on it. The long wood dowel rod connects the handset cradle to the on/off switch of the ‘modern’ (1960s) electronics. This old phone had been mostly gutted before I got it, so I didn’t feel too bad about tinkering with the inside.

You certainly can’t text with this phone. But you can dial out if you are nimble. You have to tap the headset cradle down in rapid clicks for each number. Two taps for the number 2. Or ten taps for the “Zero”. It’s like you are using Morse code to make a call.

Like I said when I started this thread, I’m a lucky man. For 27 years I’ve had a wife who doesn’t mind that I waste my time with odd projects like these.

CHEERS!

My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »
 Congrats Goaly,27 years is no small feat!

In a couple months it will be 34 years for me,they say the first 25 years or so are the easiest!!!! :devil

:salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 08:38:06 AM »
Congrats man! Hitting the big 30 in June for me and my honey. I too feel very lucky to have had such a wonderful woman put up with me for this long. I hope you enjoyed your cigars, let us know how it worked out.

Offline expat

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »
27 years , you must be up for parole soon ;)
Conratulations  :rock
goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!

Offline Paladin3

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 09:50:59 AM »
Amazing! Very interesting, and thanks for taking the time to clue me in :)