Author Topic: More film viewer issues (view mismatches, etc.)  (Read 590 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
More film viewer issues (view mismatches, etc.)
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »
http://home.comcast.net/~mark.hinds/misc_online_storage_dir/TigerII_120418.zip

I just started using the film viewer (2.27 patch 5) to replay films made on April 16-18, 2012, and notice that it seems to have difficulty accurately depicting the different types of GV views used.  This film illustrates a few examples.  Although I don’t remember which view I was in at every point during the film, I have noted some points below where I do remember.  Viewer settings included “internal”, “instant”, “use recorded views”, and “icons”.  

1)   00:02:  Should be commander’s view, but instead is a view from along side the turret.
2)   00:21:  Should be commander’s view, but instead is gunner’s view.  
3)   01:57:  Should be commander’s view, but instead is gunner’s view.  
4)   04:34:  Should be gunner’s view, and is gunner’s view.  
5)   07:01:  Should be gunner’s view and is, but gunsight is elevated a large fixed distance above how it was in the game (the aim point was on the ridge, not above it).  
6)   Etc., throughout the film.  I also have a Panzer and an M3 film which exhibit similar issues.  For example, of the 2 kills achieved by the M3, both using the gunsight, film shows no gunsight for the first, but does show one for the second.  (???).  

MH
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:24:42 AM by TDeacon »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: More film viewer issues (view mismatches, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:22:52 AM »
Were you able to eventually kill the hidden tank you found by viewing the films?

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
Were you able to eventually kill the hidden tank you found by viewing the films?

Well, that's certainly on topic...    :rolleyes:

Actually, "icepack", the film was made in order to send to a friend, whom I am trying to convince to resubscribe.  The first film I sent him (an M18 on another terrain) was almost 1/2 hour long.  I was trying to get something shorter, but showing a kill by a Tiger II.  My original intention was to remain tilted up on that ridge near the beginning, so I could show him how one can pick off the Bishops on the cliff from 4.5K away.  Unfortunately, I spent the first 75% of the film hiding from attack aircraft.  The film dosn't record the constant references to the clipboard map while I was hiding in the trees.  MH
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:32:20 AM by TDeacon »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »
HTC; I originally had the wrong film up; I have just corrected it.  The current correct film ( 10:53am CST) shows me in motorling along in a Tiger II, at the start.  

Sorry about that.

MH
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:03:41 AM by TDeacon »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:45:37 PM »
I was kidding about that........I just don't use smileys.

I did find the default view to be as if I had selected the "6" key so I just selected a different check box and it seemed normal.......but I didn't really watch all that long.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »
I was kidding about that........I just don't use smileys.

I did find the default view to be as if I had selected the "6" key so I just selected a different check box and it seemed normal.......but I didn't really watch all that long.

I probably should have said "positions" instead of "views" (i.e. "gunner's position").  In any case I would be interested in knowing if, at those particular times, you saw something different than what I reported seeing.  For example, does the film viewed on your PC show a view from the gunner's position, or off to one side of the turret, initially?  In the actual game, at the start, I would have been in the commander's position.  

Even more importantly, if you go to the 07:01 spot by fast forwarding, do you see vertically-offset gunsight?  See my screen capture later in this thread. 

MH
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:58:58 PM by TDeacon »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »
I wonder if what I am seeing is partially a function of my film viewer being mis-adjusted.  I notice that when I press the F10 key in the film viewer, I see "head position saved", just like in-game.  Could there be undocumented key combinations which I accidentally activated, thus misaligning views from the various positions?  BTW, I am talking about the film viewer here, not the in-game views, which are fine. 

To see an example of the misalignment I see in the film viewer (not the game), see the next post. 

MH
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:58:22 PM by TDeacon »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »
Here's an image showing how the film viewer's vertically misaligned version of the Tiger's gunsight reticle looks at 07:01 on my PC.  In the actual game, the aim mark was right on the ridge, not 100 feet above it. 

MH

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 01:23:49 AM »
It does that for everyone.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 07:16:18 AM »
Pretty sure I've mentioned it at least twice over the last few years. It's annoying but you have to set your views for everything you might drive or fly in the viewer too. Wish it would just copy the hps file over but I guess that's more involved than we might think.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
Pretty sure I've mentioned it at least twice over the last few years. It's annoying but you have to set your views for everything you might drive or fly in the viewer too. Wish it would just copy the hps file over but I guess that's more involved than we might think.

You seem to be implying that you personally have set your views in the film viewer.  How do you do this?  When I use the film viewer, all that seems to respond is the f10 key, and there is no evidence that one can move the head position around, or return to the default head position.  This behavior is contrary to in-game, where I can move the head positions around, and set them with the f10 key and if desired revert them with the default head position key.  Also, note that I haven't changed head positions in game for the Tiger II, so why should they be screwed up in the film viewer?  

It does that for everyone.

OK, that's good to hear.  This is one of the things that I am reporting as a bug in this thread.  When I show films to my non-subscriber friend, I want it to look good, and this misalignment doesn't look good. 

MH
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:09:11 AM by TDeacon »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »
Comment for HTC.  I notice at a couple of points in my recent films, where the internal view is strange it seems to be in the position where the vehicle driver would sit (i.e. on a Tiger II and on an M3).  We no longer have driver positions, but perhaps there is some artifact in either the AH client or the AH Film Viewer code which picks up on this, thus displaying a view from the old driver's position.  

MH

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:14:28 AM by TDeacon »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »
Dude, you can move your head position exactly the same way in the viewer as you can in the game and then save that position just a you would on the game. Redundant and annoying but certainly possible.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Dude, you can move your head position exactly the same way in the viewer as you can in the game and then save that position just a you would on the game. Redundant and annoying but certainly possible.

I have subsequently confirmed this to be true in Film Viewer, but only when the film happens to be in commander's mode.  Head position changes don't seem to work in gunner's mode.  

Anyway, the views I show above persist even when I re-save the default head positions in Film Viewer, so the issue apparently isn't that I had my film viewer head positions set strangely.  So the OP bug report would still appear to be valid.  
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:52:46 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »
Ah you're talking about in vehicles. I couldn't say anything about that due to a total lack of vehicular films. And that due to spending next to no time in vehicles.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"