Author Topic: Spring Turkey  (Read 599 times)

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
Re: Spring Turkey
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
Today was opening day of season in south Arkansas, I got this 4 year old Eastern at about 9:10 am CST. My dad and I stayed together. We set up on two gobblers who were together and fired up early, but they got henned up on a ridge line and didn't want to come to us. So at about 7:30 we eased up to the ridge line and got within 40 yards with them on the other side of the crest. A hen came over to us and got within 5 yards before spying us; wasn't anything we could have done since we were in a pine plantation with 0 cover. She didn't spook bad, but it was enough for her to lead the two gobblers away.

We pulled out and headed NW to find another turkey. We called and one answered about 500 yards away, but the terrain was to open to go to him directly. So we walked the road and made a big circle to get a better set up. We called again when we were close to his last known position and the silly thing answered back exactly where we had been standing when we first heard him. We just sat down in a pine plantation with a clump for cover. Only sat there for about 10 minutes before he appears directly in front of us at about 40 yards. I'm using a Browning Gold automatic 10 gauge so he is well within range, but the same clump that is giving us cover is also blocking my shot even though I can see him clearly through it. He came closer and closer, strutting and gobbling at only 20 yards away looking for us. Finally he stepped around the clump and I leveled him at 15 steps.

10 3/4" beard, 1 1/8" spurs. lean and fit, around 16 pounds.

(Image removed from quote.)

Hi Dexter Morgan.

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 05:53:10 AM »
Well I got my first turkey. :aok A nice fat Jake that will eat just fine. I called in 3 and had a nervous 10 mins while I waited to be able to move, and, they separated enough for me to get a shot at just one. My brother killed a mature Tom the last hour of the hunt. All in all a great hunt. I cant believe Ive hunted my entire life and never went turkey hunting before. But I'll NEVER miss another season. :D
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
my distant neighbor raises turkeys. unfortunantly i cant shoot them. however i have lots of quail on my property i kill

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »
Hi Dexter Morgan.
:rofl Here Turkey turkey vturkey.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:27:29 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins