Author Topic: Who here has or keep's a Garden ?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: Who here has or keep's a Garden ?
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2012, 03:46:33 PM »
I've got one of these as well, an Aerogarden.  It's a pretty cool little device, and works real well.  It is extremely easy to manage and makes it easier if your climate makes it difficult to grow herbs a lot of the year.  It has gotten more noisy over a few cycles as the little pump is getting tired.

LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »
I've got one of these as well, an Aerogarden.  It's a pretty cool little device, and works real well.  It is extremely easy to manage and makes it easier if your climate makes it difficult to grow herbs a lot of the year.  It has gotten more noisy over a few cycles as the little pump is getting tired.

(Image removed from quote.)

I have looked at them before and they look cool . How far will the light go up on that unit ?
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »
Flench, you have to take a look at your space and then think what is going to be cost effective to plant and tend and what is too much work and water for the actual store cost.  Since you are in Memphis ask around for ideas for a "truck garden".  They will know what you mean.  Things like potatos, peanuts, soybeans, and corn are almost far cheaper to buy than grow on your own unles you have acreage to spare.

Set aside 25% of your space for things that you love but don't normally buy much because of the cost, like asparagus, yellow, red, and orange peppers (all mild) and any other high end veggie or mellon.  The rest, seed what you love or always wish you had grown.  Hot peppers are a piece of cake, tomatoes need far more water and some shade.  Look for tomato varieties that do well in high iron soil.  Pole beans, green beans, purple hull peas, black eye peas, are all piece of cake to grow and maintain.  A hoe will be your best friend and give the kids ice cream to pull weeds.  Take a walk through the produce aisles at Kroger to get ideas.  Buy a few of what you like and scrape out the seeds and put into labeled brown lunch sacks to dry.  By the time you are ready to plant those seeds will be too.  PS--Okra is supposed to have needles on it and hurt like a biotch to pick.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:00:39 PM by MrGeezer »
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Flench, you have to take a look at your space and then think what is going to be cost effective to plant and tend and what is too much work and water for the actual store cost.  Since you are in Memphis ask around for ideas for a "truck garden".  They will know what you mean.  Things like potatos, peanuts, soybeans, and corn are almost far cheaper to buy than grow on your own unles you have acreage to spare.

Set aside 25% of your space for things that you love but don't normally buy much because of the cost, like asparagus, yellow, red, and orange peppers (all mild) and any other high end veggie or mellon.  The rest, seed what you love or always wish you had grown.  Hot peppers are a piece of cake, tomatoes need far more water and some shade.  Look for tomato varieties that do well in high iron soil.  Pole beans, green beans, purple hull peas, black eye peas, are all piece of cake to grow and maintain.  A hoe will be your best friend and give the kids ice cream to pull weeds.  Take a walk through the produce aisles at Kroger to get ideas.  Buy a few of what you like and scrape out the seeds and put into labeled brown lunch sacks to dry.  By the time you are ready to plant those seeds will be too.  PS--Okra is supposed to have needles on it and hurt like a biotch to pick.
Thank's MrGeezer , well do .

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2012, 07:53:49 AM »
Worked out just right . I planted a row of potato's and a row of red and white onions(bub's) . Then it come a nice good soaker rain , got lucky and lookin good . Will post pics when I start to see some green coming up . Maybe by that time I can plant the tomato's and peppers and so on .
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:55:28 AM by Flench »

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2012, 01:16:55 PM »
Uodate pic . Now if it dry out where I can get the rest of it in I be good to go .

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »
Looking very nice there Flench!
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »
Thanks steely ! The onion's and potato's are starting to get it after I but some cow bum in it . I mite get my tomato's in tomarrow I hope and pepper's . Trying to figure out what I want o put on the windmill , lol and I got some old fencing the other day I need to put in there some where and put some cucumber's on it . Got it all planed out .hahahahaa Thanks for the help .
EDIT: I see I need to set my camera too . I can never think to set it , errrr .
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:41:04 PM by Flench »