Author Topic: .50 cal ammo  (Read 6738 times)

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
Re: .50 cal ammo
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
What's the dispersal cone for the MK 108 then? If .50s have a 10ft cone at 600yds, then the 30mm must be more accurate than one would initially think, as the biggest problems you get with aiming 30mms are low velocity (and high drop as a related issue) and rate of fire, in that order.

Even at 500+ yds, I could typically count on a round or two hitting the target with just a 5 round burst (assuming I guessed correctly which way he would break).

mk108 is like 60ft at 600yrs

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2013, 09:05:12 PM »

Even at 500+ yds, I could typically count on a round or two hitting the target with just a 5 round burst (assuming I guessed correctly which way he would break).

:huh Show me the way.

Seriously, I find that hard to believe. So you land 13 kills every sortie? (65/5=13)

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »
I said assuming I guessed correctly, which would be around 50% of the time. Add on top of that, I personally was a piss-poor marksman, so take away 2/3rds to 3/4ths for me screwing up the lead. Also, you're assuming I had a guns solution, saw all of them, and ample time to react on 13 targets.

In the K4, how many kills I LANDED varied greatly. I'd have some sorties with 8+ kills, others I would land just assists, and others I would die without having had a guns solution.

Also, the way I was taught the K4 meant that when I got to businesses, there were far more crossing shots than 6 o'clock or low angle deflection shots. Bear in mind that most aircraft have wingspans in the 30+ foot range, and the MK 108 acts almost like a shotgun at times.

I was just surprised the guns had that much dispersion, although actually thinking on it and comparing it to in game observations, its about right.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2013, 03:04:46 AM »
What's the dispersal cone for the MK 108 then? If .50s have a 10ft cone at 600yds, then the 30mm must be more accurate than one would initially think, as the biggest problems you get with aiming 30mms are low velocity (and high drop as a related issue) and rate of fire, in that order.

For game considerations so we don't have to speak in meters.

437yds(400m) (drop 12ft) (dispersion 30ft).<---this is only acceptable at 500m\sec if your targets' wingspan is 100ft and flying level.

The game dispersion at 400yds tends to cluster roughly about 15ft with "occasional" random flyers out to about 30ft or so. But, if you are tapping out 3-5 rounds, more likely in the 15ft cone almost similare to 20mm at that range in the game. If you set your ammo to 10x then hold the trigger on your Mk108 for say 30 rounds, yes you will get a nice shotgun 30ft pattern at 400yds. Offline in the drone circle I can achive a 95% one shot hit accuracy against fighters at 400yds while I fly around for 15-20 minutes. I did this one day against a drone circle with I16s only.

At 400 yards I should barely be able to hit I16's with one tap kills and a dispersion and drop just short of 30 and 12 feet. I have tried to duplicate this shooting the NS-37 in the Yak9T with dismal results even though the round is a 900m\sec with the trajectory of the Mk103. Most of the time it takes a 2-3 round tap at 400yds with the NS-37 versus a single round tap with the Mk108 even though the NS-37 has a tighter pattern at 400yds and far less drop. Go figure, I can't.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.