Author Topic: Anyone recall why Win XP loses AH calibration settings on reboot?  (Read 696 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
I can retain calibration settings after exiting and then restarting AH.  However, if I reboot my Windows XP PC, I lose the calibration settings.  Is there a file I can make write-only, or some such known solution?   

MH

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Anyone recall why Win XP loses AH calibration settings on reboot?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
Run DIView after you reboot and see whats happening with all of your USB game devices. Go into the game recalibrate, then exit the game and run DIView again and see what is going on.

DIView.zip is from Logitech support originaly to look at your Logitech game controller inputs. Just unzip and run it. USDBDeview will tell you everthing you didn't want to know about all of your USB devices connected to your system. Including the USB type of all of your devices. There are seperate downloads for 32bit and 64bit.

DIView and USBDeview are free applications that you simply run the file, no install.

http://www.cannonsimulationtechnologies.com/usertpl/1vg017v2-left-column/diview.zip

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/USBDeview-Download-53487.html

You need to specify what kind of controller. If it's on an external powered HUB. You could have a USB port going bad or not getting proper voltage. Your controler could be one USB version while your USB port is another or the port could be having problems auto-sensing the USB version of your joystick. Your joystick could be going bad.

Oh...have you tried moving your joystick to another USB port?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
I've seen this issue since I started running Aces High back in 2004.  Back then, I didn't even have a powered USB hub.  I thought I remembered that it was something that XP was doing.   

MH

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »
In device manager is there a yellow warning dot on your Joystick? Does it list under its name or generic game device?

If it's your XP registry calibration settings try this from Logitech to completely clean out any controller calibration settings in your registry:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/441/291?softwareid=633&osid=1&section=downloads

I'm going to assume no XP updates installed recently have changed your power management or USB power management. But. just in case go into the screen saver tab and turn off all power management. Under devices go into USB controllers and your joystick device and turn of allowing the OS to turn off this device for all of the root HUBs and your joystick which should be higher up in the device tree.

Are you running a screen saver? Turn that off and see if this stops. Do you have other USB devices connected to your PC other than a throttel, mouse/keyboard? Have you pulled those other devices? Plugged your joystick into a different port?

DIView can tell you alot about your joystick while it's just sitting idle in windows before you start the game. Is it sitting there spiking on the x, y axis or off center on both? What joystick is this? Have you run searches against your joystick and XP to see if other people have your problem? Have you swapped out your joystick to see if it's the joystick?

Two possible reasons why Skuzzy hasen't hopped in yet.

This should have been posted in the techsupport section along with your joystick type and PC info. Or there is no simple XP solution and he's letting me run through the general question and answer with you to build up a picture of your problem or solve it.

What have you done to troubleshoot this yourself so maybe I don't reinvent the wheel.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 01:08:36 AM »
I run XP Pro and I don't lose calibration settings.  I almost never recalibrate and I turn my machine off every day.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:46:35 AM »
I will repost in tech support. 

MH

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:11:17 PM »
Great responce bustr.  :salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:06:39 PM »
I've recently began loosing calibration settings on every game exit.  Im on windows 7 though.  Seems like it started happening after I adjusted the dampening settings slightly from the default settings. ( Aileron and rudder )

Of course I'm playing with a logitech 3d pro that's about 6 months old so it's  now in it's "golden years"
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »
I've recently began loosing calibration settings on every game exit.  Im on windows 7 though.  Seems like it started happening after I adjusted the dampening settings slightly from the default settings. ( Aileron and rudder )

Of course I'm playing with a logitech 3d pro that's about 6 months old so it's  now in it's "golden years"

Note that mine are not lost on game exit, but only on Windows exit. 

MH

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 06:59:45 AM »
Go to your game controller properties and watch the display to see if the movement is correct under windows.

If you find the behavior to not be linear and is super sensitive to where it goes full deflection with very little stick movement, then I believe there is a flightstick jihad thread that may help.