Author Topic: Lol!  (Read 882 times)

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
Re: Lol!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »
Watch the video and you tell me.
I did, i believe turbine is on top of the engine?
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 06:37:16 PM »
Until some parts of the compressor turbine gets in the engine. Then we get catastrophic failure like that. I've seen damage to engine internal due to valve failure. One had a piston broken in half with one half completely missing. The crankshaft/con rod/piston assembly is very precisely balanced. Once you destroy that balance,  toejam hit the fan.

Funny vid right there  :aok I've seen my share of blown engine in my life but that was a job well done. Totalled.

I never have the right pictures at the right time...  anywho, I noticed something moving in the background (some lever looking thing) before the engine kaplooied, and reading the comments I came upon this one: "If you look closely...the lever thing at the back is the governor...they shut it off and the engine immediately over revved and blew its conrods." 

One of you auto doctors familiar with this type of engine that can maybe elaborate?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:32 PM »
Watch the video and you tell me.

You mean click on a link on the internet that has no explanation other than "lol"?  You gotta be joking.  There is even a forum rule about this.

I'll keep posting random comments based on NOT clicking the link instead.  Works for me  :lol
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Why did they light the cat on fire?

I'll admit I clicked on the video based on this comment alone.

Bastage got my hopes up.

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
Reminds me of the day after of eating Mexican food lol :x
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »
I'll admit I clicked on the video based on this comment alone.

Bastage got my hopes up.

:neener:

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 10:03:48 PM »
It only did that cause it heard that Kenworth was going electric!!!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »
I never have the right pictures at the right time...  anywho, I noticed something moving in the background (some lever looking thing) before the engine kaplooied, and reading the comments I came upon this one: "If you look closely...the lever thing at the back is the governor...they shut it off and the engine immediately over revved and blew its conrods." 

One of you auto doctors familiar with this type of engine that can maybe elaborate?

That was a most probably a diesel engine. In heavy machinerie or stationnary engine, where the engine drive hydraulic pump/generator(ect...) rather than be connected directly to the wheels for power like in a car via a transmission, it is desirable to have a stable engine speed(RPM). A governor is a contraption that allows one to set a desired engine speed and the governor will keep it there and compensate for the load raising/lowering depending on operating condition. Kinda like an engine speed cruise control.

I'm not a diesel guy for one bit so I can't identify that lever thingamajy that moved, but one could guess that there was a governor failure and it opened the throttle wide open. It's called a runaway engine. It got rotating so fast that internal parts could not keep up and something broke, triggering a chain reaction.

Since I work for a Toyota dealer, I'll use an example I'm fammiliar with. The 2ZZ-GE engine is a 1.8l inline 4 cylinder that was quite prone to this kind of failure. Not because of bad engine design per se but rather user mistake for the most part.

This engine was installed in the 2000-2004 Celica GTS and often coupled with a 6 speed manual transaxle. The way these transaxle are designed is the 6th gear is located right where the reverse would be on a 5 speed. Let's just say that someone not used to shifting that particular transaxle could mess things up. They'd get the engine at the redline in 5th gear and then, trying to engage 6th, put it in 4th and dump the clutch, instantly over-revving the engine. When an engine over speed, many things happen but in particular here is the fact that the exhaust valve springs could no longer close the valve fast enough and the piston head would slam the valve with force.

Best-case scenario, this is what happen.

If you got that, 8 exhaust valve and a pretty invoice later, you're back on the road

Worst case scenario well....

Something like that happen when the valve break and get "tumbled" in the cylinder. Notice how it pierced a hole in the piston and broke a piece of the cylinder wall and of the piston in the upper right.

Some more shots

That one is totalled. And a very nice(read "prohibitively expansive") invoice to boot too.

The sad part is those small car are most often owned by kids who have way more testosterone than money.

One guy told me once "a rich's head with a poor's body".  :rolleyes: Y'know....the type of guy who roll in with his cheeky attitude and a 2 years old luxury sedan, then when you tell him he needs tires, ask you to put on the cheapest one you can find and pays with 4 credit cards? Gotta love my job....made me loose all the faith I had in humanity. But that's another story for another thread. Seeyall gents  :salute
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 12:15:31 AM »
You mean click on a link on the internet that has no explanation other than "lol"?  You gotta be joking.  There is even a forum rule about this.

I'll keep posting random comments based on NOT clicking the link instead.  Works for me  :lol

You mad spiderman?
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 01:34:23 AM »
I just wanna know if you typed in "engine 'sploding" or you just worked your way from another catagory of videos to this.
somtimes you can start by watching a airplane video and the next moment its somthing like dogs mating or something

I hate it when this happens. whenever i look for videos of dogs mating I have to trawl through a plethora of exploding engine vids :rofl
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 06:47:24 AM »
You mad spiderman?

Not in a bad way, nope  :lol

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 06:52:30 AM »
That was a most probably a diesel engine. In heavy machinerie or stationnary engine, where the engine drive hydraulic pump/generator(ect...) rather than be connected directly to the wheels for power like in a car via a transmission, it is desirable to have a stable engine speed(RPM). A governor is a contraption that allows one to set a desired engine speed and the governor will keep it there and compensate for the load raising/lowering depending on operating condition. Kinda like an engine speed cruise control.

I'm not a diesel guy for one bit so I can't identify that lever thingamajy that moved, but one could guess that there was a governor failure and it opened the throttle wide open. It's called a runaway engine. It got rotating so fast that internal parts could not keep up and something broke, triggering a chain reaction.

Since I work for a Toyota dealer, I'll use an example I'm fammiliar with. The 2ZZ-GE engine is a 1.8l inline 4 cylinder that was quite prone to this kind of failure. Not because of bad engine design per se but rather user mistake for the most part.

This engine was installed in the 2000-2004 Celica GTS and often coupled with a 6 speed manual transaxle. The way these transaxle are designed is the 6th gear is located right where the reverse would be on a 5 speed. Let's just say that someone not used to shifting that particular transaxle could mess things up. They'd get the engine at the redline in 5th gear and then, trying to engage 6th, put it in 4th and dump the clutch, instantly over-revving the engine. When an engine over speed, many things happen but in particular here is the fact that the exhaust valve springs could no longer close the valve fast enough and the piston head would slam the valve with force.

Best-case scenario, this is what happen.
(Image removed from quote.)
If you got that, 8 exhaust valve and a pretty invoice later, you're back on the road

Worst case scenario well....
Something like that happen when the valve break and get "tumbled" in the cylinder. Notice how it pierced a hole in the piston and broke a piece of the cylinder wall and of the piston in the upper right.

Some more shots

That one is totalled. And a very nice(read "prohibitively expansive") invoice to boot too.

The sad part is those small car are most often owned by kids who have way more testosterone than money.

One guy told me once "a rich's head with a poor's body".  :rolleyes: Y'know....the type of guy who roll in with his cheeky attitude and a 2 years old luxury sedan, then when you tell him he needs tires, ask you to put on the cheapest one you can find and pays with 4 credit cards? Gotta love my job....made me loose all the faith I had in humanity. But that's another story for another thread. Seeyall gents  :salute

From a 4wheeler I had to work on this summer...
Not in a bad way, nope  :lol

:)
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
   When Diesels break they break big due to a heavy recipricating mass and compression ratios above 14:1.

A failed turbo, injector, or cracked piston can induce oil into the engine and cause a runaway.

Jammed exhaust valve into head.

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »
 I admit I watched the vid and glad I did because it lead me to a couple of vids on F1.

There a 2 hour doc on F1 the turbo era and it follows the development of the cosworth ford,which at first was going to be a 4 banger but as the vid shows they has a spectacular melt down!

Rumour has it that a return to turbo engines is likely for 2014,that if the Mayans dont get their way.... :devil   1.6 liter V8's with a turbo,during the turbo era they were getting 1200 to 1500 hp out of qualifying engines!! 5bar and 1.5 liters,thats about 70 pounds boost!

:salute

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »
lol a soccer mom would be like.

"it was fine then it started making this noise and then it broke"
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"