Author Topic: My First Construction Kit  (Read 358 times)

Offline thedudee95

• Copper Member
My First Construction Kit
« on: April 28, 2012, 03:36:25 PM »
So as some of you may have seen my earlier topic about some airplane construction kits, well i went out and bought some. It took some time but i also got all materials.

My first built, is a Spitfire MkVb 1:72 scale. I forgot to take pictures of it while putting it together, but it all fit. Here you can see my little workstation.

I apologize for the blur, as i took the photos with my phone camera.

A close up, the pilot inside. I actually had to take it apart as i misinterpreted the instructions and installed the cockpit too low.

I finally painted it a couple weeks later:

As of now i have to add all of the decals, then it is finished.  :rock

Next i plan on doing a Stuka 1:72, Bf-109 (not sure which variant) 1:72, and an F-14 1:48. My goal is to work my way to a B-17G. Anybody have an tips to increase the accuracy of the kit, or anything that will help?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:38:51 PM by thedudee95 »

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: My First Construction Kit
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »
Looks good dude. Where are you finding these kits. I used to do 1 or 2 models a month when I was a kid. Really loved doing them, but now they're becoming hard for me to find. I wouldn't mind getting back into it. Always loved doing WW2 planes and ships.

Lighten up Francis

Offline thedudee95

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 04:14:17 PM »
Looks good dude. Where are you finding these kits. I used to do 1 or 2 models a month when I was a kid. Really loved doing them, but now they're becoming hard for me to find. I wouldn't mind getting back into it. Always loved doing WW2 planes and ships.

This one i found on Amazon.com,
http://www.amazon.com/Airfix-A02046A-Supermarine-Spitfire-MkVb/dp/B0044WWN7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335647565&sr=8-1

They have pretty much all of them, for very cheap, less than 20$ for even the larger models. It ships fast, and nothing was broken or missing. I know my father found a couple in some of the hardware, or crafts stores though i cant be sure.

Im just getting into it, after watching James May's show where they built a lifesize Airfix spitfire, and im inspired to build my way to a giant RC plane  :airplane:

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 04:16:23 PM »
Thanks for the link!  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline thedudee95

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »
Thanks for the link!  :aok
No problem! If you look in the related items, they have all of the other models, i think i might snatch myself some very soon  :cheers:

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »
Looks good so far.  :aok

Here's a tip before you apply the decals: lay down a layer of clear gloss paint. Decals adhere best to a nice shinny surface. After the decals dry(at least a day), mask the canopy then add a coat of clear flat. This seals decal and restores the correct flat finish.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline thedudee95

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
Looks good so far.  :aok

Here's a tip before you apply the decals: lay down a layer of clear gloss paint. Decals adhere best to a nice shinny surface. After the decals dry(at least a day), mask the canopy then add a coat of clear flat. This seals decal and restores the correct flat finish.
Wow thank you! I'm planning on applying the decals later tonight. I looked up a little online, and it said to first dip them in water for around 15 minutes. So i suppose i apply the clear gloss, wait for it to dry, apply decals, wait for it to dry, and than a clear flat?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:52:23 PM by thedudee95 »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »
Wow thank you! I'm planning on applying the decals later tonight. I looked up a little online, and it said to first dip them in water for around 15 minutes. So i suppose i apply the clear gloss, wait for it to dry, apply decals, wait for it to dry, and than a clear flat?
15 Seconds should be enough in warm(not hot) water. Your clear coat should be allowed to dry 1 day to cure. 2 days may be better depending on brand, type, and how heavy it was applied. You want a good hard and shiny surface before adding decals. I would wait 2 days if using a lacquer or enamel clear coat.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
 :aok
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »
Hobby Lobby has a good model section if you have one near you uptown.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »

taking your time is as important as anything else when it comes to building models...Dont rush it....

looking good BTW :aok

Offline thedudee95

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, i learned a lot! Im repainting some parts, as it flaked off, and then i'll apply the clear coat, i believe it is enamel. I will wait 2 days! Thank you so much :)

Offline spacer

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 02:41:19 AM »
You can also find all sorts of models at www.squadron.com  its a company in Carrollton Texas  1-877-414-0434. 

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »
The first model I ever bought myself was a Spitfire when I was about 11. Painted it very badly. It lasted a long time though and I even met a real Spitfire pilot through it.

But my Dad bought me my first ever model in Woolworths. A Wildcat, FM2. He built it for me while I hovered around him anxiously.

I came back to modelling recently and bought me one of these. I think I dropped myself in the deep end here: This is what I hope it looks like when I'm finished:

We'll see.