Author Topic: one scary landing  (Read 666 times)

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
one scary landing
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:30:24 AM »
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
Re: one scary landing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »
 :O
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »
I think that video is speeded up.  Things were just too "twitchy" for it to have been at 1x speed.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:48:32 AM »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
I think that video is speeded up.  Things were just too "twitchy" for it to have been at 1x speed.

Agreed. That video has been sped up. Notice how quickly the first plane jerks back to center, and the others almost 'shooting' straight up when they go-around.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfQwDizpRo St. Maarten has a extremely short runway for 747's therefore they need come in low and slow, not counting the 3000 Ft high mountain, and the towns about 500 Ft off the other side of the runway!

St. Maarten and Kai Tak airport have some of the craziest landings you will ever see, well Kai Tak DID but it was shut down and a new one was built a few miles away.
Here's a video of a 747 landing with some cross winds at the old Kai Tak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE
For anyone wondering why he didn't come straight in, its because there's roughly 5000 Ft high mountains behind the Runway, and if they came in from the other end of the Rwy (which they did occasionally) They would have a strong tailwind.
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:47:56 PM »
I don't understand why people stand RIGHT in front of runway at St Maarten. One of these days a 747s is going to come in a little too low and take out 20 or 30 folks.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
I don't understand why people stand RIGHT in front of runway at St Maarten. One of these days a 747s is going to come in a little too low and take out 20 or 30 folks.

if thats the one by the beach I recall i saw a video where a woman foolishly tried to hold onto the fence as a 747 was throttling up for take off, she couldn't hold and and fell, tumbled around a good 20-30 feet then bashed face first into a rock
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »

Just because it's fun.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Here are a couple of fun airports I was looking at videos of last night:

Lukla, Nepal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG3ZojHEZ3w&feature=related

That is mother freaking crazy. So little runway and absolutley no room for a go around.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 06:07:54 PM »
Lukla, that is quite a scary landing. No mistakes allowed, no go around that's for sure. My wife flew in there when she climbed Everest, (well actually she only climbed to base camp). She had no idea coming in what it was like. It was only after landing did she realise. :uhoh But she reckoned it was less dangerous than the time some Yaks nearly pushed her off the mountain.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 08:52:50 AM »
Here's a compilation of extreme crosswind landings. Some were test flights, some were real flights with passengers. The music is lame, so feel free to mute it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PdUdaXDHm4
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=7AIYpr9R0rI Check this out I would of thought a Plane like that would of Exploded after 3 seconds of Dragging on the ground If A was on that plane I would  :bolt: after Landing
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:38:33 PM by Tracerfi »
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=7AIYpr9R0rI Check this out I would of thought a Plane like that would of Exploded after 3 seconds of Dragging on the ground If A was on that plane I would  :bolt: after Landing

I remember hearing of this on the radio driving to work and saying "I got to get around to seeing the video of that", but never did, thanks!  Very interesting, especialy how long it took to stop.... I wonder if that's because engines were still running at idle or above, or because there was no reverse thrustering available, or..... 
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.