Author Topic: I must think diferently than all of you  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
I must think diferently than all of you
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »

Originally posted by NATEDOG:
Todd, ignore something long enough, and it will go away, right? WRONG! And even if I did .squelch him, then Superfly .squelched him, then even HT .squelched him, he would still be talking smack on the radio ruining everyone's good time

The point initially I think was that the smack talk really got under your skins, especially HiTech's; I certainly understand why it would, given that this is as much a labor of love for all of you as it is a business.  However, I also don't see why .squelching Nath wouldn't make him stop.  If he was fishing for a reaction, he got one.  If he'd gotten no reaction, he probably would have stopped.  In the very least, none of you would have suffered from diminished fun due to what he said, because none of you would have known what he said.

Other players in the arena likewise have access to the .squelch function.  If Nath was ruining the arena experience for them, they could have squelched him and flown around blissfully unaware.

I understand that some feel trepidation at using .squelch.  However, the command does exist for exactly these sorts of things.

Another thing that bothered me here was that it was a permanent ban... why not one week?  Or a month?

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »

Originally posted by SUPERFLY:
Monitoring the arena is one of our jobs.  If we were to squelch ch. 1, it would be irresponsible to our community.  

I understand where you're coming from here.  However, I didn't mention that you guys would need to squelch all of Channel 1.  I think most people know where Nath's coming from, and it's unlikely that he'd start spewing forth obscenity-laden tirades.  From what I've seen here (and remember, I wasn't there), he was mostly attacking gameplay in a rather gruff manner.  That is, I think it would have been safe to .squelch him and get on with the job of monitoring the main channel for real problem cases.  Or perhaps to privately ask him to tone it done (which may or may not have been done).

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2001, 03:11:00 PM »
Todd its not that I disagree with you.  A user configurable squelch list has been much needed
as of late but I suspect HTC wants to avoid this hence the banning of t_owd abd nBDP.

Its hard but let me try to explain what I
mean:
I think we are better off with an open community instead of a community that allows everyone, out of necessity, to configure their own comms (squelch) list down to just those they want to hear.  Its like living in a neighborhood where no one wants to get to know their neighbors because everyone thinks everyone else is an potentiol amazinhunk.  It sucks!

It pisses me so very off that a few loudmouthed ignoramouses can threaten and disrupt such a large and viable group of people.  Thats why I support banning these types.  

Although some will always resent it and others leave, HTC owes it to the larger aiudience to maintain a livable and enjoyable environment for their customers to spend time in.

Yeager

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2001, 03:12:00 PM »

The point initially I think was that the smack talk really got under your skins, especially HiTech's

Whether it got under Hitech's skin or not is completely irrelevant, because there is a much bigger issue here.  That being that you had two players openly testing HT's ability and willingness to enforce a standard of conduct in his own game and on his own BBS.  Both of these people had ample time to quit acting like 'tards before eating the proverbial boot.  They not only failed to do so, they upped the ante with even worse behavior.  Hitech can't let that go unchecked, or else this would become an ever more common occurence.  Personal feelings aside, you cannot let the inmates run the asylum.

Maybe this analogy will make more sense...  If an armed criminal ignored a police request to put down his weapon, should the cop simply ignore it and move on?  If all cops did this, is it likely that there would be a sudden decline in violent crime in this country?  Or would it be more likely that the lack of any ultimate authority enforcing laws would lead to more laws being broken?

Gordo

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2001, 04:33:00 PM »
Dead Man, I don't squelch anyone.  That refers back to exactly what I just explained.  He could just go on merrily chastising others and myself while I'm totally oblivious to the situation.  I don't ignore problems hoping they will go away on their own, and if I can, I try to solve them.  Like I said, THIS IS PART OF MY JOB.

------------------
"Holy Underwear!"
John "SUPERFLY" Guytan - Art Director
HiTech Creations
-=HELLFIRE=- SQUAD
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2001, 04:58:00 PM »
Settle down there Super.....and show us a screenshot of a new plane or 2 would ya!!