Author Topic: Used Hard Drives  (Read 373 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Used Hard Drives
« on: May 18, 2012, 07:57:57 AM »
I have an old eMachines sitting around and was wondering if I could use the HD in that one and plug it into my current one (which only has 20GB free space left). I figured I could just plug it in, turn on the PC, then wipe whatever is on the eMachines HD.

Will that work?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Used Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:22:20 AM »
Yes, in case the connectors fit.

Since it has been in a Windows machine before, you don't even have to use Disk Management to format it like you'd have to do with an empty disk. Formatting wouldn't hurt, though.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
Ah cool, what is formatting anyway? To make it compatible with the current PC?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »
Ah cool, what is formatting anyway? To make it compatible with the current PC?
erasing the existing data and basically coding the drive in manner that it can be read and written to by the operating system...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:09:13 AM »
Actually, formatting is more like deleting the index, making the disk look like empty and thus make it reusable. Nothing is totally deleted until you save something new over the old one. If you're old enough to remember how to reuse C-cassettes by putting a piece of adhesive tape over the gap in the bottom, the idea is pretty much the same.

And yes, as Gyrene said, it makes the disk compatible with the current system. Formatting for compatibility is not necessary, though, when moved from one Windows-machine to another. Think about removable disks, formatting them every time they are connected in a new computer would destroy the whole idea of using them.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:12:31 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni