Author Topic: TrackIR - WOW I'm flying!!!!  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: TrackIR - WOW I'm flying!!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
Just unpacked le trackIR5 I received for my birthday (I love my Girlfriend). I Installed the software, plugged it in, centered, launched aces high, mapped the buttons, and centered the view ingame.
I'm rolling a plane offline and as soon as I got the wheels off the runway I got overwhelmed with the feeling of actually flying! I've been playing this game for a decade+ now and the immersion you get with trackIR is brilliant!

Now for the gamey part, I used to have a decent SA and fear it will go down the drain for a while, but that is expected...Is there any way I can use an overnose view without having to put my face on the screen? And a 6 view outside the backplate without falling off my chair?  :D

Wait till your stomach turns lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 01:57:44 PM »
If you uncheck roll, x, y, z and TrueView in your TR profile, then you will be in 2-axis mode in the game which will use all of your F10 saved views from your hps file for each aircraft. I use that in IL2's to control the gunsight view and bird cage canopy birds to use my saved 6 view. In 2-axis mode your saved look over the hood gunsight view will be your default forward view.

In the very early days of TrackIR it emulated your mouse performing mouse pan view. Thus 2-axis mode.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 02:07:13 PM »
If you uncheck roll, x, y, z and TrueView in your TR profile, then you will be in 2-axis mode in the game which will use all of your F10 saved views from your hps file for each aircraft. I use that in IL2's to control the gunsight view and bird cage canopy birds to use my saved 6 view. In 2-axis mode your saved look over the hood gunsight view will be your default forward view.

In the very early days of TrackIR it emulated your mouse performing mouse pan view. Thus 2-axis mode.

very tempting!
now posting as SirNuke

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »
The things that helped me...

-  Like Del said, uncheck  the roll axis.  Doing this really helped me to get used to TrackIR.  Then after a month or so I was able to add it back without a problem.

-  Like Del said again, add a little deadband to the center so you can get a good gunsight view.

-  Pause TrackIR and position your view raised in the seat a little, but with the center of the gunsight still visible.   Then F10 to save.  This becomes your center position when you recenter TrackIr.

-  Check the Trueview box in the TrackIR software.  Also, in the Aces High view options, there is a TrackIR related option (I forget exactly what it is) that needs to be checked also.

-  When you re-center TrackIR, lean back in your seat a little bit farther then you do while flying.  Then when you sit normally, you will be a little closer to your gun sight.  This makes seeing around your seat back easier.

- The stiff/sore neck and back will pass after a period of time.  Suffer through it and it will stop being a problem eventually.

Dave,

The sore neck and headaches are what keeps me from trying TIR.  I was in an accident and got whiplash,didnt know for 3 days as I thought I was ok but then the headaches and projectial vomitting told me something was wrong. Turns out it was whiplash and the migrains that came with it,guess they are really tension headaches but whatever,are something I never want to deal with again.

I get a sore neck just flying using a hatswitch so I think the TIR would be too much for me,to bad as I'd really like to give it a try.

:salute

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
I had a hell of a time getting used to my TrackIR, in the beginning I battled constant nausea and vertigo. During the first frame of the recent scenario, I had such a bad bout of vertigo that I closed my eyes until it went away. Not something I'd recommend in a scenario! I think I've gotten to the point that switching back to hat switches would make things worse and I'm starting to have an easier time. If you use taters, the device makes shooting MUCH easier as you can more smoothly track the target.

Here are my rules for a good TrackIR experience;

1. Don't even bother using anyone's profile, unless you want to use it as a starting point.

2. If you're a very old hat user, I'd recommend a more aggressive profile so the delay in looking around is similar. However, read rule #1.

3. I found shooting with a gunsight that moved was very frustrating, so I put in a deadband in the center. Nothing is worse or more uncomfortable than having to keep your head perfectly still.  However, read rule #1.

4. Disable roll axis and make the x axis (lean side to side) very aggressive to look around canopy bars and armor plate. However, read rule #1.

5. Set a joystick button in Aces High to re-center this device. This is a must, regardless of rule #1.

Mine is set up very similar to Delirium's ...Disable roll axis , I also disabled X axis because it was too much movement when I was trying to learn TrackIR. I also use a pretty big deadband on all Axis to keet the gunsight centered until I move my head quite a bit. I could turn X back on at this point but honestly I dont really see the need...if something is behind a canopy post I tweak my planes course just a hair so i can get vis. If you set your views in game with TrackIR off when you toggle it back on your TrackIR views will use the views you saved...this is a hell of alot easier for things like dead 6'oclock where you can just look to the left/right 45deg rather than having to lean at the same time you look left/right. My .02

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 12:28:17 AM »
Green with envy ...think I will print and leave this post on the kitchen table for the wife to see  :D

HL
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 04:53:18 AM »
I went with Bustr's settings. I can look around, but still use my preset views  :aok I'm using 2.0 sensibility and 10.0 smoothing, with the deadband TIR preset  :airplane:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Tabasco

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
Question: How does TrackIR affect recorded views in films?

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
:huh :huh :huh Cheaters...I still fly with Mouse!  :banana: :x :banana: :x :banana: :x
me too!@
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »
Question: How does TrackIR affect recorded views in films?

Track Ir views are not recorded.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 10:04:32 AM »
I'm getting better with this, I can shoot drones now and I'm kindof able to keep track of them. I'm set up very sensitively if I turn my head 15 degrees It makes me look on my dead 6...keeping the horizon in sight while performing a flat turn is possible now  :joystick:
now posting as SirNuke