Author Topic: DGSII Rules Writeup Posted  (Read 6212 times)

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
Re: DGSII Rules Writeup Posted
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 08:45:19 AM »
Auto I hope!  Though I suppose manual is ok with enough notice.  Nothing worse than discovering its manual at the moment of calibration!   :lol

While I am on the Axis side and should be rooting for manual as it would be better for us, I think Auto calibration is the way to go. There are many who have never, ever tried the manual method and while I think it would be great for immersion, I don't think it would be conducive to the enjoyment of the scenario for many members of the Allied side. If the bombers get a handful of walk-ons, it would become even worse as these poor souls would, for the most part, have no idea what to do.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
In my opinion, all special events should use what the main arena uses.  If you don't do that, you end up using something that is a critical mechanical task of bomber pilots but that they can't use or practice in the normal part of the game.  In addition, many walkons won't be able to hit much, and since all past scenarios used auto calibration, it is more difficult to estimate balance, how many bombers it takes to take out a particular target, etc.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:06 AM »
There are a couple of ways to consider this.  

The event itself is going to be a brawl getting to target, and I'd hate to see the bomber guys pound their way through the wall of Axis that they may encounter, only to have to wave off target because they missed a calibration window.  It takes a long time to calibrate for a drop, under fire and trying to evade and shoot back is difficult for the best of the bombers.  We do want people to actually enjoy the event and focus on the Fight.  Personally, if we screw up and let them through to target, they deserve to hit it.  That should be there reward for a well fought defense of their bomber groups.  

On the other hand, they have 4 months to practice, train and drill for this, and perhaps could spend the time learning something new as part of the experience, however that puts the walkons in a bad spot but might also encourage them to get on board the next one early.

Both approaches have merit.

As the Axis CO, I agree with the other Axis posters and my XO, I have no problem with either concept and will defer to the Allies to make that call. It won't affect our efforts, and we'd like you to have fun.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:33:05 AM by ROC »
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »
There are a couple of ways to consider this.  

The event itself is going to be a brawl getting to target, and I'd hate to see the bomber guys pound their way through the wall of Axis that they may encounter, only to have to wave off target because they missed a calibration window.  It takes a long time to calibrate for a drop, under fire and trying to evade and shoot back is difficult for the best of the bombers.  We do want people to actually enjoy the event and focus on the Fight.  Personally, if we screw up and let them through to target, they deserve to hit it.  That should be there reward for a well fought defense of their bomber groups.  

On the other hand, they have 4 months to practice, train and drill for this, and perhaps could spend the time learning something new as part of the experience, however that puts the walkons in a bad spot but might also encourage them to get on board the next one early.

Both approaches have merit.

As the Axis CO, I agree with the other Axis posters and my XO, I have no problem with either concept and will defer to the Allies to make that call. It won't affect our efforts, and we'd like you to have fun.

How magnanimous of you gents!  I'll be sure to only use 4 of my 8 .50 cals on the first 109/190  :lol
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:19:17 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »

How magnanimous of you gents!  I'll be sure to only use 4 of my 8 .50 cals on the first 109/190  :lol

You, sir, are too kind!  :aok
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 05:42:22 PM »
How magnanimous of you gents!  I'll be sure to only use 4 of my 8 .50 cals on the first 109/190

Now, don't get carried away.  The bombers aren't getting to target so it's really a nice gesture, nothing more  :D
ROC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 06:01:24 PM »
I promise, if I take any high-g snapshots, to roll a d6 and, if it's a 6, not to use my guns thereafter in the frame (to simulate a jam).  Unless I forget to bring my d6.  ;)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »
Be sure and clearly mark the hotels and beer halls for us.  We don't want to damage the places we are going to use when we get to town :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 10:23:51 PM »
Now, don't get carried away.  The bombers aren't getting to target so it's really a nice gesture, nothing more  :D

:rofl
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
Kermit :)

So, you flying bro? 
ROC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2012, 11:23:29 PM »
Kermit :)

So, you flying bro? 

He's got a secret assignment and is part of the Allied staff :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2012, 12:44:25 AM »
Then BBQ Frog Legs are back on the menu  :D
ROC

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »
Say Luft, Axis, or German.
I think he just swung me to Axis,  made me chuckle.   

Love ya Perdweeb   :rofl     :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »
We'd love to have you Bruv :)  We have a good selection of planes, even a squad sized D9 group  :cheers:
ROC

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »
More Targets to shoot at.  :aok
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.