Author Topic: HO Philosphy  (Read 7868 times)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Re: HO Philosphy
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 04:14:04 AM »
I got 99 problems but a Ho aint one
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 04:48:28 AM »
What I don't get is that it takes two to 'HO'. So unless the other guy somehow knows you won't pull the trigger, why do guys go 'head on' and then complain that the other guy shoots?

Lots of guys go for front quarter shots (especially the 20mm equipped aircraft) but they are easily avoided, unless I go head on as well and turn it into a 'HO' shot.

I don't have any problem with it myself, if your tactic to avoid a front quarter pass is to go head on and not pull the trigger you take your chances.

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 05:31:19 AM »
because this is a game that has a high skill component and HOing is basically one step above ramming with the same level of disregard for your own life and with explicit goal of 'killing' the other guy no matter the cost.  It its somewhat valid if you are heavily outnumbered (but you got into that situation) or if you are defending a base against a horde, or if it is a 262, but outside of these very well defined perimeters it is a no skill move.

There is a certain lowering of respect when on the merge where I have often shown multiple moves to 'avoid the ho' there is still the sound of guns blazing as I pass.  It does not keep me honest, it does not scare me, it does not show how large your e-peen is it is just a straight up ho.  When combined with some of the faster planes like the 51 or the D9, it becomes a style of BnZ that boarders on greifing.

AH is a very challenging game with a lot of depth to it, HOing is an attempt to flatten that learning curve by stopping the fight at the first merge and anyone that justifies it has to use some fancy footwork to make it fit in their world (or just stick their tongue out and not give a damn).

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 05:38:31 AM »
What I don't get is that it takes two to 'HO'. So unless the other guy somehow knows you won't pull the trigger, why do guys go 'head on' and then complain that the other guy shoots?

Lots of guys go for front quarter shots (especially the 20mm equipped aircraft) but they are easily avoided, unless I go head on as well and turn it into a 'HO' shot.

I don't have any problem with it myself, if your tactic to avoid a front quarter pass is to go head on and not pull the trigger you take your chances.
True that.
Still, in an 1v1 situation, lets say, when a spit16 is firing on me on the first merge, its easy to avoid, even gain some advantage from his struggling for hitting my face. Whats pretty bad, when there are multiple cons are looking for you and instead of a proper "get to his six and kill" they arent even double teaming but just hoing and running 4-5k away before reversing. Or when a real intelligent person in a pony is playing the "i come with alt, take one pass, firing at any given angle then run out from icon distance, get alt and repeat" game. I think its foolish, boring, and pretty damn lame. Its not about anyones skill level but the willing for a fight instead of looking for a victim. There are 99 ways to die, ergo 97 should be more fun and entertaining than the ones listed above

Btw hey Zack, if i were you, i would be "vewwy quiet" in this topic.  :old:
 ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:31:40 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 05:51:58 AM »
I got 99 problems but a Ho aint one

Ho! Ho!

I never would do such a thing :rofl

a lot :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
when I first started I used to HO, then as I gained experience I have learned the HO leads to a fight that isnt very fun.  I would rather try and get behind, much more fun :salute

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2012, 07:43:08 AM »
The HO is a 50/50, will I wont I deal. If you lose the HO your in the tower, or you've missed and the other guy has already started his turn on you, gifting him the advantage in an ACM fight.
An experienced HOer might get a few kills purely HOing, but against an experienced ACM guy my money's on him for the overall Kill ratio.
The lazy HOer is only denying himself ACM experience in the long run. Every single person here knows they are up against a good pilot if they are merging with a guns cold aircraft.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »
Debrody/Ruah

I totally agree with your views and love nothing more than the 1v1 .. but its a pity though that when being ganged that if seen to be engaged that the gangee's don't but out unless their buddie gets in trouble.. yes wishful thinking I know but as of late it seems to be just a HO'ing gang fest where opponents do try to get the kill at any cost ..  I had a 1v1 with Scotch <S> the other night and he kicked my butt, but it was a great fight.

There is one sure thing in all of this .. that if on the merge the guy passes without firing you know your about to have some fun and maybe learn a few things :) and yes the level of respect jumps a few notches :)

I guess what I am saying is if on an opening move the other guy is spraying like a jerk then I will shoot back .. but if your a good stick then I am not gonna HO either because I am here to enjoy the flying and learn some moves along the way ..

I always record my fights with the good sticks and try to look at what I did wrong or right ..

I heard a funny quote about HO'ing tonight .. from a squaddie .. "HO'ing is like wanking, everyone does it but no one admits doing it" :P
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2012, 07:53:42 AM »
Every single person here knows they are up against a good pilot if they are merging with a guns cold aircraft.

The sad part of this statement is that in the last couple months, I can count on one hand the number of cold merges in Late war.......  If the "good pilots" don't know exactly who you are, they go hot on the first merge....

Just my experiences....

:salute

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »
The sad part of this statement is that in the last couple months, I can count on one hand the number of cold merges in Late war.......  If the "good pilots" don't know exactly who you are, they go hot on the first merge....

Just my experiences....

Mate I hear ya .. is it just me or are 98% of the players now going the HO, I just don't remember it being like this a few years back .. !!  or maybe my memory is failing like my eyesight is lol :P
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2012, 07:59:06 AM »
yups, someone said, "i only fear spits that dont ho". Thats a big truth, better keep it in mind.
The merge tells everything about you. When someone is "spraying like a jerk", he will be dead in 2 turns unless he is running away without any willing to stay and fight. But when a spitty is coming towards me trying to set up a reverse after the first merge, i know i wont last very long.
AoM
City of ice

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »
yups, someone said, "i only fear spits that dont ho". Thats a big truth, better keep it in mind.
The merge tells everything about you. When someone is "spraying like a jerk", he will be dead in 2 turns unless he is running away without any willing to stay and fight. But when a spitty is coming towards me trying to set up a reverse after the first merge, i know i wont last very long.

A good quote that Debrody ..

Tonight I even tried to turn fight RangerFL in his zero .. dumb I know, but I was so desperate for a good fun fight .. my big 38 lasted longer than I expected .. hehe

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »
I have nothing against HO except when:

1. players gaming the game by zooming (p38 docet!);

2. most of the fight went without HO and one of the
opponents starts to HO .

mobilis in mobile

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 08:25:27 AM »
HO Philosophy?

I ho, therefore I am  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »
I will kill you as quickly as possible, however possible. The whines are just bonus. Its a game... planes are $15 dollars a month
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++