Author Topic: Choose the next Map?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
Re: Choose the next Map?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 03:44:05 PM »
I like the runways with big mountains at each end.  :uhoh :aok :joystick:

Always gotta keep those buff pilots in mind! :D
Currently inactive.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »
only map I don't like is the one with huge mountains you must fly over to get to the nme.....other then that any map is fine they all look the same from the air.

although that newer one...grinder I think its called is very nice looking....

fester Kudos for putting time into making them.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 08:40:41 PM »
Wow does that map look interesting! :O

It's totally different in every way, especially with the base layout...and the very interesting location of the HQ's.  So interesting it almost makes me wonder about how the strat system works with that map.
 :noid

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 08:41:38 PM »
I wished for this almost exactly a year ago

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »
the losing side should pick the next map

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »

Which losing side?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »
Fester, first I want to humbley apologise if you took my remarks as being personaly directed to your efforts, creativity, or dedication to every aspect of the map making process (if the map I'm objecting with is indeed one of yours, but that I honestly don't know).  The frustration for me that originates from some of these maps (and they might be yours or someone elses) and their repetitiveness is not due to any GENEROUS map creator's lack or failure... at least not that is justifyable.  It's as much my fault (a participant) as it is yours (the maker of our playground), it just comes naturaly that blame is placed on others before one's self. 

So take what I say not personaly, although with all the effort you invested into it (and each one) that's probabley rediculous for me to say.  Interpret it for what it is, an unhappy player after nights of unhappy/unproductive, repetitive play.  And then it will happen again, for another 6 or 7 nights straight, and I'll return here even more frustrated than I was after the last 6-7day repetitively unproductive session.

Second, I apologise again, as the more-informative responce you were hoping from me was broken up over two different threads on this same subject.  The "abomination" is not you or your creation, but what takes place and transpires on it, usually in the same 2-3 sectors on the same 2-fronts, for ~6 consecutive nights.

How about we just vote to can that abomination that was up for almost a week It (FINALLY) went down last night
(F!@#n' A), and we already went through two more last night (everyone pent up a little?).

I mean seriously, how many more week-long sessions are we gonna have like the last one before it goes away or changes, and we can have more fun (or rather, avoid smashing our heads into the wall)?

"Vote" = player/participant control capability over the maps, not absolute to one or any group of individuals, but still able to change a stagnant map (one where progress has stopped and all action is repetitive (IE: we take A1. they take A1, we take A1, they ake A1, etc.)).
"that was up almost a week", "It finally went down last night", "we already went through two more last night" - many will say what they will about what transpired (or didn't) after a week on a single map, and then after it goes down two are quickly played through in less hours than days just passed without any progress..... I won't say anything more because it isn't as much "your" fault fester as it is every one who was participating... the difference though was black and white.
"seriously, how many more week-long sessions are we gonna have like the last one before it goes away or changes" - not your map, the 6-7days of repetitive gameplay. 
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
which would bring us back to rotating every map like we have now.

semp
clear the rotation cache once the cycle is complete to allow for the next voted map to be chosen
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »

you mean the knights will pick the map

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »

keep the rotation, have small/medium maps during the week and medium/large maps at the weekend.

and remove Trinity from the rotation. then destroy the terrain file. then find the source code and destroy that. then take the PCs it was created on to somewhere deep in the woods and make sure they never produce another LOC ever again.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »

keep the rotation, have small/medium maps during the week and medium/large maps at the weekend.

and remove Trinity from the rotation. then destroy the terrain file. then find the source code and destroy that. then take the PCs it was created on to somewhere deep in the woods and make sure they never produce another LOC ever again.

Trinity I think is savable, and is a good map looking beyond one single (questionabley) flawed feature/snag (and craw in player's shorts afer becoming repetitive).  As others have commented once the 20k mountains in the middle get broken past, the map can and does change rapidly as progression can be more easily made.  OK, so maybe there is a second flaw to it, but it hasn't been forever - Trinity's TT is often neglected and ignored... prime realestate that is, right in the middle.

OzKansas.... if I had to gripe about one single thing about it, is it's TT.  Seems base capture people flock to it because it has bases less than 2-sectors apart and because they're all capturable.  If you kick one ountry off of it completely, that country invests maximum effort (aka: no fully-backed effort elsewhere on the massive map) to retake a foothold on TT island. 

It is not a true TT imho, it is more "the only sane and practical acre of real estate on the entire map worth the average player's effort".  It is EXTREMELY non-casual in any way shape or form, TT on ozkansas is "serious buisness" to most the players... and that would be fine, except to most players, nothing else on ozkansas is "serious".

I always thought if any map would benefit from deisgnating some uncapturable bases on its TT, is ozkansas... maybe it might radicly change how that map is utilised too, base takers will concentrate elsewhere first, rather than anywhere but.

Fester, what are your thoughts with taking a belt sander to the first mountain ranges on Trinity to be about 5-10k less in average, or making the airfields on TT in OzKansas uncapturable?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:49:56 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »
OzKansas Trinity, and the smaller TT map are my 3 favorite maps in the whole game...dunno what you guys are on about lol
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
trinity isnt as bad as people think it is. unless you are a horder  :noid

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »
trinity isnt as bad as people think it is. unless you are a horder  :noid

:headscratch:

I don't understand.  To me Trinity is the most congested map in rotation.  It typically has 2 front line bases for each country, and offers a carrier attack every few hours.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »
its something that we all want. however its to easy to put in the game.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"