Author Topic: Off topic (I mean, No rant in here, only Aces High stuff)  (Read 854 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Off topic (I mean, No rant in here, only Aces High stuff)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »

Originally posted by mrfish:
i remember seeing films of wwii where the bombers just fly over dropping bombs to carpet the area and not very strategically.

i took up a b17 or something and flew over a field at about 5k and dropped everything at random - yehoo i did it!

we were capturing the field and everything was down in reality i just scared the hell out of the c47 crew that was landing there and the people capping it!

i think it was escafe or central that started harassing me. i was pretty embarrased. not my first flight but the first one i remember. its been down hill from there as far as skill goes    

LOL!!

My first B-17 flight was the same thing!  I was proud I had stayed up all night to get to 23k and found an airbase we were trying to take.  Thinking I was being smart, I dropped bombs up and down the runway (this is back in the old days  when a crater killed ya     )  Guys on the ground were like "Hey, nice job, but how about hitting a hangar or two for us?"  Yikes!

Wish the runway cratering was cured...if I am not mistaken, now planes/gvs can roll right thru em.  Used to be nice to slow em down with a 4000 pounder to the middle of the runway  

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

[This message has been edited by LePaul (edited 04-06-2001).]

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2001, 03:08:00 PM »
I remember "cutting cookies" in the p51 at field 9 on the original beta map.  I think this was .34 or .35.  I soon found out if you throttled up REAL slow you could get to the edge of the field and if you were real lucky, get airborne.

I don't remember who was the first person I shot down, but I do remember the first person to shoot ME down.    It was Bytor, and he gave me a for "great evasives."  LOL, getting a p51 to stall and then spin is not what I'd call a "great evasive" anymore.

I do remember my first multikill sortie.  It was on the 2nd day I played, which would have been in early October of '99, still beta 1.  I was in a spit 9 and I managed to find 3 planes taking off from an enemy field we were capping.  I dove in and killed them all right as I slammed the spit into their runway.    Later that day Wolf37 asked me to join his new squad.  I was a Thunderbird up until last month when Wolf decided to take a break and disbanded the squad.  

AH sure has come a long way since .35, that's for sure!  It seems like bombers had no guns or bombsights when I first started.  The terrain also was completely flat, except in the canyons and elevated fields.  It was still a blast though.  

------------------
bloom25
-MAW-
(Formerly of the)
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2001, 03:31:00 PM »
"man, this plane looks good...."

"fast, smooth.....uhoh..."

<bogey on my 6>

"ok, pull really hard and he'll fly right by....pulllll"

<SNAP>

"ok, not that hard...."  

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2001, 06:12:00 PM »
YUP, i remember it well as do the 33rd. I was gunning in a b17 and we were on RW. I think half the squad lost their speakers that night, the other half still refuses to RW with me

I had a blast I love doing squad stuff, and welcoming people into "my world"

But lately i been lone wolfing looking for a squad full of a happy bunch of flyers who can laugh and enjoy the comrodery and be able to laught at themselves.

Any takers for a 43 year old with tobacco stained teeth and budding grey earhairs?

NUTTZ

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2001, 06:19:00 PM »
If you want to fly for fun and have fun flying without trash talk....check out the 332nd Flying Mongrels.

"...where pilots become friends and friends become brothers"

------------------
Ozark
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels
"I'm getting better!!! No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment"

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2001, 06:20:00 PM »

Originally posted by NUTTZ:
YUP, i remember it well as do the 33rd. I was gunning in a b17 and we were on RW. I think half the squad lost their speakers that night, the other half still refuses to RW with me  

I had a blast I love doing squad stuff, and welcoming people into "my world"

But lately i been lone wolfing looking for a squad full of a happy bunch of flyers who can laugh and enjoy the comrodery and be able to laught at themselves.

Any takers for a 43 year old with tobacco stained teeth and budding grey earhairs?

NUTTZ

Sound ideal for the 332nd, especially if you are into having a good time, lots of laughter and generally flying with some pretty fantastic people (like moi!)  

Check the 332nd Link!

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2001, 06:21:00 PM »
hehe...beat you BD-5.  

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2001, 12:37:00 AM »

Originally posted by Mighty1:
<S> SKViper and who ever was with you.

Was fun...

I sure had a cardio rate increase!  

DEEJ was my Wingie in the Pony.
I rember him singing out on RW, "Viper, what the hell are you driving?"
He was amazed that a Tempest and Lavochkin were running away from him at such a steady clip.

<S> !!!

-------------------------

My first flight:

I was in a P51 and being guided by a very kind and helpful gent.  I will get to his name in a minute.

It was just 2 months after the Beta opened.
I was trying to take off and I smacked the edge of the BH as I torque stalled into it.

He asked me to join him on RW and offered to talk me through the launch.
We flew for well over an hour; climbing to 25K and avoiding any chance of being shot while he showed me the commands, quirks and basic difference I could expect (I was an Air Warrior 3 Flyer).

Then he covered my bellybutton as I made my first kill on a Spit and landed it back at home safe.

I guess he won't be able to do that again.

Thanks TOWD!

Viper

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2001, 06:28:00 AM »
Hi All,
 I don't remember my 1st flight exactly but I do remember my 1st goon flight. It was in the old beta terrain and someone (Name escapes me) and myself decided to do a double team with goons on a rook field which was being a "Real B" to capture. I remember there were loads of cons and we decided split up (He went through the canyons I went over the top). Anyway he got shot down and it was all down to me. "Goon otw?" shouted about 15 knights on country channel "Don't worry snafu is IB" shouted the other (Now Dead) goony. "Goon needed NOW" came another shout. "My moment of glory" I thought as I ID'd the field as I came over the mountains. I pushed the stick forward and began to accelerate, and accelerate, and accel... Well you know the rest. The stick was now pushed all the way forward and I was beginning to level off (I did not know about trim at this point). By the time I reached the field I was doing about 350mph and still at 8K I released the drunks who were promptly picked off one by one as they floated down. I apologised to each knight individually then I logged off.

TTFN
snafu

------------------
  snafus Homepage

vmf115 - Joe's Jokers
MAG-33

[This message has been edited by snafu (edited 04-07-2001).]

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2001, 07:16:00 AM »
 I had sent pyro an email in july asking to get in the alpha.  At the time I was a WB trainer.  Well in mid August I resigned from the trainers and quit WB for good (thnx HS).  About 5 min after I sent out the email I got one from pyro hehhehe asking me to join in on the AH alpha    It was version .26 I think, and I took a p51 up and started my first AH hunt. Boy was it new   Got a kill though   Been hooked on HT products for 6 years now hehe.

S! HTC

Udie

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
Yup...took a P38 up, was grabbing when I thought I saw something low near the hills, I leveled out and followed. I stayed above the canyons until I saw him again, an F4U. Later I figured out he was trying to land at a Vehicle base, once I realized one could do this. I dove and opened up at 400...my first kill...then I saw this funny looking area ahead that looked like buildings or something down in this same canyon, being new I wandered over to take a peek. The ack was up and greeted me warmly, thus I learned what a vehicle field looked like. Took me only seconds to re-up and come back with eggs....
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2001, 12:52:00 PM »
Back in October of 99, I was playing Rogue Spear on some guy named Soulyss' server a lot.  I ICQ'ed him one day asking him if he was gonna host and he said no.  He was too busy trying this new flight sim online called Aces High.  I downloaded it, registered, and logged in.  I was thinking that this would be fairly easy to fly as I had been flying sims since my family got its first comp in 1983.  Boy, was I wrong.

I don't remember my first flight per se, but I do remember the first night I was on.  I was ground looping, getting bounced as I took off, stalling when I tried to turn, and a whole list of other things.  I think I got a kill.  All I really remember was yelling at Souly on channel 1 asking for help and everything.

Those were some fun days.  Beta days were fun as all hell.

-math

------------------
"Any American fighter near Orote Penninsula.  I have forty Jap planes surrounded and need a little help."
-Ens. W.B. "Spider" Webb during the Marians Turkey Shoot

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2001, 12:53:00 PM »
Heheh, ooops, double post.

[This message has been edited by Mathman (edited 04-08-2001).]