Author Topic: Linux port of Aces High  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Linux port of Aces High
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »
John Carmack, from ID, has also stated Windows 8 is a mistake.

Windows 8, just say no.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »
John Carmack, from ID, has also stated Windows 8 is a mistake.

Windows 8, just say no.

Of course, Win8 is heading in the direction of a closed ecosystem where software distribution can be done only through MS code signing and/or live marketplace. This means a 30% cut of software sales to Microsoft. MS already took steps even to create "safe" (read monomopolistic) boot which removes any chance for end users to install competing operating systems like linux to "certified" i.e. Microsoft locked hardware. Too bad linux is not more known - people would see through the bs and realize they don't need MS code signing or locked hardware to run a safe system. Just BSD or linux.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 09:03:16 AM »
I run web and file servers for my girl's office on a headless Ubuntu server (ssh and sftp only). At home I run Ubuntu desktop on her machine and mine, although I do use other distros (not too excited about the zeitgeist part of Ubuntu although I do like Unity for now). The Ubuntu system is solid. Actually, the only reason she boots Windows is because some websites she uses for business require IE. We haven't tried IE on wine yet. So I don't know if she could use it that way.

But, Ubuntu has some downsides. Zeitgeist for one (wth?). And the desktop, although easy to use at present, is rapidly turning into a "tablet for 3 year olds" kind of thing. Depending on which desktop you choose, it could be quite bloated. In Ubuntu's defense though, you DO have a choice of desktops. So..Ubuntu is still my distro of choice. However, Debian is my fallback distro. Been looking at Fedora as well.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:05:44 AM by Zeagle »
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »
I use Slackware at home, as it is the most Unix like version of Linux I have found, and I do not need a GUI.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »
I run web and file servers for my girl's office on a headless Ubuntu server (ssh and sftp only). At home I run Ubuntu desktop on her machine and mine, although I do use other distros (not too excited about the zeitgeist part of Ubuntu although I do like Unity for now). The Ubuntu system is solid. Actually, the only reason she boots Windows is because some websites she uses for business require IE. We haven't tried IE on wine yet. So I don't know if she could use it that way.

But, Ubuntu has some downsides. Zeitgeist for one (wth?). And the desktop, although easy to use at present, is rapidly turning into a "tablet for 3 year olds" kind of thing. Depending on which desktop you choose, it could be quite bloated. In Ubuntu's defense though, you DO have a choice of desktops. So..Ubuntu is still my distro of choice. However, Debian is my fallback distro. Been looking at Fedora as well.

Just install cinnamon desktop. Unity sucks.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 08:34:58 AM »
Since the arrival of Unity and Gnome3 I've switched to Xubuntu and Lubuntu and login to Openbox when I want minimal desktop.
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 04:01:52 PM »
Well.....  :frown: I'm still struggling to upload the big .iso file. It always aborts after 190 Megabytes. I'll need to go for tech support from my hosting provider. Maybe they can advise me about some better tool than standard ftp. I hope to have this visible in a prominent location of my site at some point, but I don't know when I'll lick this problem. Sorry for the delay.
 :salute

This is old news, but I'm the guy that wrote "I run Aces High with LINUX every day". I had hoped by now to publish the .iso file that duplicates my setup for use by others, but I'm still suffering from upload problems.

Since I have not yet solved my ISO uploading problem, I decided to take another approach for those interested in this subject. I've published detailed instructions showing exactly how I build Linux machines for Aces High. It takes me about 2 hours to make one of these (I have 6 machines like this right now, all running on Intel core 2 duo or similar processors with nVidia graphics).

Here's the link:

http://askmisterwizard.com/LINUX/LinuxTheEasyWay2012/LinuxTheEasyWayPage01Full.htm

There are five pages of instructions in this series. The stuff that is specific to Aces High commences on Page 4 of 5. Here's that link:
http://askmisterwizard.com/LINUX/LinuxTheEasyWay2012/LinuxTheEasyWayPage04Full.htm

I find that these systems deliver about 60% to 70% of the performance (frame rate) that I would otherwise get running Microsoft Windows XP. For me, in real life, this means that most situations can be tuned to deliver smooth flight at or near my video refresh rate of 60 FPS, but I can't turn on all of the "eye candy".

There are a couple of other compromises: Doppler sound effects don't work. I can hear Aces High voice, but I haven't had success with transmitting my own voice. I haven't worked very hard to overcome that, since I generally use TeamSpeak audio.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:14:44 PM by bbosen »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
This is old news, but I'm the guy that wrote "I run Aces High with LINUX every day". I had hoped by now to publish the .iso file that duplicates my setup for use by others, but I'm still suffering from upload problems.

Since I have not yet solved my ISO uploading problem, I decided to take another approach for those interested in this subject. I've published detailed instructions showing exactly how I build Linux machines for Aces High. It takes me about 2 hours to make one of these (I have 6 machines like this right now, all running on Intel core 2 duo or similar processors with nVidia graphics).

Here's the link:

http://askmisterwizard.com/LINUX/LinuxTheEasyWay2012/LinuxTheEasyWayPage01Full.htm

There are five pages of instructions in this series. The stuff that is specific to Aces High commences on Page 4 of 5. Here's that link:
http://askmisterwizard.com/LINUX/LinuxTheEasyWay2012/LinuxTheEasyWayPage04Full.htm

I find that these systems deliver about 60% to 70% of the performance (frame rate) that I would otherwise get running Microsoft Windows XP. For me, in real life, this means that most situations can be tuned to deliver smooth flight at or near my video refresh rate of 60 FPS, but I can't turn on all of the "eye candy".

There are a couple of other compromises: Doppler sound effects don't work. I can hear Aces High voice, but I haven't had success with transmitting my own voice. I haven't worked very hard to overcome that, since I generally use TeamSpeak audio.

Your videos are a good example of getting it to work. However you didn't give any clues for what to do if your joystick wouldn't get automatically discovered for example :) Things tend to be very simple and easy on linux when they work. And when they don't work, it's time to start digging manual configuration files and hacks.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
Correct.

I suppose I should make my enthusiasm for the current generation of Linux more clear: In my recent experience on a dozen or more computers of the type I have described, PcLinuxOS has ALWAYS worked. It hasn't been like the "bad old days" for me, in my limited experience.

I remember VERY WELL the bad old days when I had to diddle with /dev/js0 or load special applications to experiment with a joystick. I also remember when my special joystick configuration program "qjoypad" used 50% of my CPU cycles. Fortunately those days seem to be behind me.