Author Topic: Panzer III please  (Read 4500 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Panzer III please
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
No hard feelings involved, Jager. Just stated that your comment as the IS2 would be a good town killer is plainly nonsense.
Also the tiger has a 100mm vertical frontal plate, the panther has a 80mm sloped, yet the IS2 has 100mm sloped or 120mm but less sloped, also 90mm (!) of side armor, how it comes its between the two german tanks?
True, the fire rate is slow and the ammo load is small, still, dont rush or spawn camp with it and it will peform well. Possibbly better than the later Panzer3's, what seemed to be inpotent to the t34/76s...

A 122mm HE shell holds about twice as much explosive charge as the shermans 75mm HE shell, IIRC. 28 of those, probably knocking down 2-3 buildings per shell isn't insignificant. And its stronger armor would allow it to largely ignore the auto ack fire from town and bases (although the 88mm and 17lber man guns would pose a rather large threat if ignored), which means more than any other tank, its able to opperate independent of air support.

As for the armor, it would depend on the variant, like I said. That 120mm section had very little slope, with the effective thickness being about 130mm, and the 60mm glacis plate actually had a greater LOS thickness. Lower hull is going to be about 110mm of protection, or still vulnerable to the KwK 40 and M1 76mm out to about 1400-1600yds, the KwK 36 out to a hair over 2000yds, and both the KwK 42 and 17lber out to over 2500yds.

Up close, its whoever shoots first wins, usually. That means the low ROF puts the IS-2 at a disadvantage.

At medium range, its generally who has the best shooting, provided penetration is still sufficient to penetrate. Since the Tiger I can penetrate the hull out to 2000m (turet out to about 3000m, I would estimate), that means that the IS-2's slower ROF, inferior optics, and poorer balistics are going to hurt it.

At long range, its whoever aquires the range first and has sufficient penetration. This means that the Tiger I is going to have an advantage in the actual gunnery, while the IS-2 will have an advantage in penetration. So skill being equal, it really comes down to how the damage is modeled (is it overall HP based, or is it component/crew based).

Considering that the majority of engagments tend to take place within 1600yds, and only a small fraction of engagments take place at ranges exceediing 2000yds, this means that the IS-2 is going to be sup-par in most engagments, while being probably about 1/4th of the way up the scale between the Tiger I and Tiger II in those rare long-range engagments.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
My lord, boy, you ever played this game?
There are two HE shells needed to knock out a building. So if you grab a twice as large shell, that should get 3 buildings?
Also 20-25 seconds between each shot fired... according to my experience, i tipically got bomb****ed after 4-5 minutes spent in the town (couse the base is flashing, you know). That means, you can fire 10-13 rounds and boom, youre dead by an a20. All your 40(or so) perks are lost, way to go, a really effective way indeed.

Here is sketch of the IS-2's armor:

Do a little math and take the consequences, which gun can kill it, from what angle and from what distance. If youre ready, post those numbers, then we can talk about it.

Anyway, i think its still better to be in anything else than in a tank what has 50mm frontal armor and an 50mm gun and what stood with no chance against the t34/76 whats already the far worst in game. Even an m8 would completely own a panzer3.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:42:13 PM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 12:42:16 PM »
My lord, boy, you ever played this game?
There are two HE shells needed to knock out a building. So if you grab a twice as large shell, that should get 3 buildings?

Could happen then, yes. Blast radius.

A 75MM HE shell is worth 156lb of damage in AH. Twice that amount would be 312lb, which is almost exactly as much has a 250lb bomb has. But of course you would need to hit two or three buildings standing very close to each other. Usually it would still just be one hit - one building.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:44:08 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2012, 12:58:25 PM »
156lbs? That means, about 70kg of explosive in that 75mm round... interesting. I belive in you, its still weird... Who could load in a that heavy bullet?
Okay, its possible to weaken the next building, it should work even more with the bigger round, so doubles are possible in the town center, but they surely wouldnt be usual.
Its still a fact that a heavily perked, slowly firing monster is not a good town killer but a bomb magnet.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
The shell didn't actually weigh that much, but for some reason, it has that much blast damage. I mean I could see that much on the impacted target, with some of that damage being caused by the impact of the round itself, but I'm not sure anyone knows why the blast itself is modeled quite so high.

As to the Panzer III, the Ausf J2 onwards could fight T-34's at ranges under 300m. The Ausf L probably even had parity at 300m.

And the Panzer III would tear the M8 a new *** hole.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »
156lbs? That means, about 70kg of explosive in that 75mm round... interesting.

That's the AH damage rating. A Hispano round has about 4lbs, the 75mm HE has 156, a 250lbs bomb has 313, a 1000lbs bomb as the emasure of all things has 1000.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 06:00:38 PM »
That's the AH damage rating. A Hispano round has about 4lbs, the 75mm HE has 156, a 250lbs bomb has 313, a 1000lbs bomb as the emasure of all things has 1000.

i want other panther models..one without glass chin, and it should be an easy add. also kv1-2 would be fun. or the land battleships series

Offline 1Nicolas

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 12:04:42 PM »
Last post for a while. The PzIII Ausf J should be added because germany needs early war tanks. I agree Tank ace
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:06:46 PM by 1Nicolas »

(My World Of Tank signature)
There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »
Last post for a while. The PzIII Ausf J should be added because germany needs early war tanks. I agree Tank ace
Why does Germany need early war tanks more than other nations need them?  Currently only Germany and the Soviets have an early war tank of any kind.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »
Why does Germany need early war tanks more than other nations need them?  Currently only Germany and the Soviets have an early war tank of any kind.

Not to hijack, but if you could get another early war tank available, which would you like to see?

It'd be neat to see some French S-35s!
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 01:17:43 PM »
Grant or a British cruiser for North Africa.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
Still would rather see a Panzer III because..... well its a Panzer III. It led the German blitzkrieg across France, the Ukrain, Russia, Afrika.

AND we could get several different StuG III's in the not to distant future.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 12:14:26 AM »
Grant or a British cruiser for North Africa.

I'd vote British cruiser tank over anything else from the germans for now, maybe an early/late war version - Crusader for Early War and Cromwell for Late war?
JG 52

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »
Why not wait for the KV-1, Churchill, IS-1 and many others - before the Panzer III? afterall Panzer III although Iconic - would be flat out useless in Aces High.

bet ya you give me a 50mm Pnzr III and ill give you kills butcher :)

other than that i'd love the Crusader and Cromwell tanks. Churchill in AH is near useless unless you're sticking the Petard on there. KV-1=yes IS-1=why?...

Armored cars such as the 234 and 222 would have their place also in game. very limited, but they'd have a place
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 12:45:40 PM »
A post of mine from another thread build this:

Crusader III AA MkI

Great Britan 1940-1943
Armor: 32mm
Range:  322 km.
Speed:  24-42 km/h (off-road/road)
Armament: Bofors 40mm AA Gun with an autoloader and powered mounting in an open topped turret. 

Bofors 40mm AA Gun:

Caliber: 40mm
ROF:  120 rounds/min
Muzzle velocity: 881 m/s
Effective range:  12,500 ft
Maximum Range:  23,600 ft

The Bofors 40 mm gun is a famous anti-aircraft auto-cannon designed by the Swedish firm of Bofors. It was one of the most popular medium-weight anti-aircraft systems during World War II, used by most of the western Allies as well as various other forces. It is often referred to simply as the Bofors gun.  The gun fired a 900 g (2 lb) high explosive 40 × 311R (rimmed) shell.

Then we get a true British tank and an Allied AA gun on par with the Wirbs and Ostis.  Seems to me to be a better fit for the game than building anther Panzer.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.