Author Topic: WWII Vet at work  (Read 529 times)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
WWII Vet at work
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:06:50 PM »
At work I met a crew member of one of the B-17's stationed at Pearl when the it was attacked. He said every one of the 17's in his group were shot down & he was wondering if there were any other survivors that he could contact. I can't give his name or info because of HIPPA.  :salute any info appreciated.  :pray
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Re: WWII Vet at work
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 04:07:06 AM »
Pearl Harbor Survivor's Association, VFW, Library of Congress, Google, etc.
Many organizations that have or list reunion and unit info.
If he googles his organization, there's probably many links with info there.
Many listings even have unit rosters.

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
At work I met a crew member of one of the B-17's stationed at Pearl when the it was attacked.

The guy still works?  He's gotta be in his 80's (?)   :old: :old:
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 03:37:18 PM »

If he was 19 in 1941, he'd be 90 now...

Maybe he works at a nursing home....
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 05:56:44 PM »
I know that our society is youth focused and many tend to ignore the elderly but it's sometimes worth it to engage in conversation, you can learn some interesting things. 

I was in a hobby shop in San Diego to buy a gift for my son and there was an older gentleman that looked like he was in his late 80's to early 90's.  He was looking at a big, beautiful and exceptionally detailed model of an old Curtis biplane prominently displayed and I took to admiring it also and mentioned how exceptional the model was and the old gent said thanks as he was the one that built it.  I was really impressed with the detail and asked him where he got the information for all the details and he said from memory. 

I was really impressed now and we talked quite a bit and just before he left he claimed not only that he had flown the plane but that he had traps in the plane, on board the USS Macon (ZRS-5), one of the Navy's two flying aircraft carriers (the other being the USS Akron) in 1935.  He was aboard when Macon crashed.  I looked at the shop's owner and he knew I wasn't sure if I was being had or not but he pointed to a picture on the wall of a young Naval Aviator in front of an F9C and it sure looked like him. This guy had to have been one of only a dozen or so Naval Aviators that had traps on a dirigable and I didn't even get his name.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »
The guy still works?  He's gotta be in his 80's (?)   :old: :old:

That is around the projected age people will stop working, thanks to our new economy. Thank a Vet, send Congress on vacation!
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 10:36:11 PM »
:salute
No, not working....getting help
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,